C Michael Rasmussen - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2017, 9th, DET)

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Maybe Rasmussen himself should be the centre then. I have no idea, I haven't watched one iota of him and the Red Wings this season. Doesn't he project as a centre?

Maybe he will play C down the road, who knows. But non franchise level centers very rarely break their way into the league as a teenage center. Larkin played pretty much his entire first year on the wing in Detroit.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Maybe Rasmussen himself should be the centre then. I have no idea, I haven't watched one iota of him and the Red Wings this season. Doesn't he project as a centre?

Seems like it could go either way. The wings think hes a center long term but have him playing the wing just to get used to the league with a little less responsibility like they did with Larkin. But hes likely not going to be playing center ever over Larkin or a top pick this year like Hughes, Cozens or Dach or one next year possibly. So he might actually end up as a top 6 winger if the wings draft another high end center.

He is playing center tonight though so we'll see how he does. Hes a guy that I think his talents wont show through as much until he has more talent around him. When the wings are better in 3 years and theyre shooting a lot and have possession of the puck his ability to score and control the puck down low will shine through more

Reactions: teddygmr

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
People have to understand that he's gonna be part of a lot of goals where he receives no points.

6'6" boulder in front of a goalie is gonna be a pain in the ass.

Reactions: lawrence

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
If Rassmussen works out, Detroit's lineup will at least start to look good on paper again.

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Rasmussen-2019 top 5 pick - Zadina
Athanasiou-Veleno- Nyquist if resigned/Stopgap Free Agent
Abdelkader-Nielsen-Glendenning/Helm (one likely traded).

Extras: Svechnikov (if he recovers from injury),

That’s not a bad forward core and if Hughes/KK/Dach come in at a good level, potentially a very good one in 2 years’ time.

A lottt of speed, size, and agitating powers. Wings will probably have to buyout Nielsen's last two years, especially if both Helm and Glendenning are still on the team.

Last edited:

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
He may not be producing much at the moment, but those points are going to come. I love the way this kid plays in front of the net, if all goes well, he will be a bigger Holmstrom in the future.

I know some people will cry that we drafted a Homer kind of player 9th overall, but just remember how good Holmstrom was in his prime. The best player in front of the net league wide and a very important player to Detroit's success.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
so is he sticking around for good? Does he look like a NHL player?

If he were AHL eligible he probably wouldn't be in the NHL right now. But he's 6' 6" 220. He's not going to develop his issues playing in juniors with a bunch of kids he can push around.

Oct 18, 2006
2 PP goals in 2 games. But more than that, he’s starting to look a lot more comfortable. Not panicking with the puck, he’s actually looking to create plays as well as using his size more effectively. People forget he’s only 19. When he’s 24 he’s going to be a beast.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
so is he sticking around for good? Does he look like a NHL player?

Sticking around for further evaluation. Mickey Redmond made it sound like hes pretty much a lock to be allowed to go to the WJC but hes staying in the NHL for now. His first 5 games vs his last 5 games have been pretty different, hes looked really solid the last five and way less timid than he did earlier.

He'll stick around until the 40 game mark then I could see him going to the WJC and possibly junior to save his RFA status but hes more likely staying in the NHL

Reactions: lawrence

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How is he defensively?

And how is his skating?

What would be a fair projection - 1 way 2nd line center who puts up 40 points avg a season...or something different?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How is he defensively?

And how is his skating?

What would be a fair projection - 1 way 2nd line center who puts up 40 points avg a season...or something different?

Solid defensively, causes turnovers with his stick because its so long. His skating is NHL good, but really good for a guy his size speed wise. Could use a little more strength in his legs to get stronger on the puck but that will come in time I think. Hard to say on the points output, if Detroit gets good in 3 or 4 years and has a lot of skill on the PP he could average more than 40 points a season with his net front play but hes also not a ridiculously dynamic offensive guy either. He does have some underrated creativity and a decent shot though, hes not a one trick net front pony. He can take the puck wide with his size and speed and works really well down low already.

I would say theres a very good chance he at least averages 40 points with his net front play, wouldnt be surprised if its more than that though. Kinda depends on Detroits talent level and how good they get in the future plus if he bulks up. If he 240 lbs and Detroit has a good PP and talent around him I wouldnt be surprised by 60 points at all

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Sticking around for further evaluation. Mickey Redmond made it sound like hes pretty much a lock to be allowed to go to the WJC but hes staying in the NHL for now. His first 5 games vs his last 5 games have been pretty different, hes looked really solid the last five and way less timid than he did earlier.

He'll stick around until the 40 game mark then I could see him going to the WJC and possibly junior to save his RFA status but hes more likely staying in the NHL

so he will stick around with the Wings and play at the WJC? win win for everyone then.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
so he will stick around with the Wings and play at the WJC? win win for everyone then.

Hes staying with the wings, they havent ruled him out going to junior before the 40 game mark but the way hes playing now I think he'll stay in the NHL. The wings broadcasters dud say he was likely to be released for the WJC even if hes staying in the NHL all year though. I'm sure they havent made a decision this early but I'm guessing the broadcasters dont say that without having some inside info

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
This thread is so enjoyable to look back on and will be even more enjoyable years from now.
Yeah if he turns into a top 6 forward I'll be chowing down on a nice big streaming bowl of crow. I'm always happy to do so though if it means the Wings got a good one.

Reactions: Tryamkin

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah if he turns into a top 6 forward I'll be chowing down on a nice big streaming bowl of crow. I'm always happy to do so though if it means the Wings got a good one.

Lol its better when people can admit it anyways.

where did you stand on Tyler Bertuzzi when he was drafted?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad