C Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg Ice, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
Kid had a pretty sick weekend, 10 points (two goals, eight assists) in three games in Abbotsford last weekend. All against decent competition too (unlike Banff, who is 1-10 with a -91 goal differential lol).

Up to 25 points in 12 games now this season playing against guys 2-3 years older than him.

Reactions: Acadien86

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kid had a pretty sick weekend, 10 points (two goals, eight assists) in three games in Abbotsford last weekend. All against decent competition too (unlike Banff, who is 1-10 with a -91 goal differential lol).

Up to 25 points in 12 games now this season playing against guys 2-3 years older than him.

Zero doubt in my mind that if he applies for exceptional status he'll get it. The trouble is will he apply? I really hope he doesn't go the NCAA route.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Zero doubt in my mind that if he applies for exceptional status he'll get it. The trouble is will he apply? I really hope he doesn't go the NCAA route.
That would be an incredibly poor decision for him. He’d be forced to play against lower quality opposition in lower quality organizations for years, all to play what would realistically be at most a single year of college. Everything about this kid screams top pick that will make the jump in his first year.

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
People have claimed he's the next Crosby. I don't really like player comparables but he does remind me of Sid simply in the sense that Savoie seems very good/elite in all areas of the game.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That would be an incredibly poor decision for him. He’d be forced to play against lower quality opposition in lower quality organizations for years, all to play what would realistically be at most a single year of college. Everything about this kid screams top pick that will make the jump in his first year.

I agree. For kids of his ability College is a poor decision unless you live in the US and can play USNTDP then jump into college for a single year before you head to the NHL. It is a seriously poor decision for a Canadian kid who won't be doing so and will likely have to play BCHL/AJHL/USHL before doing so for a few years.

The only reason I can think of not wanting to is him not being able to go to a program he likes. He's pretty likely to end up in Prince George at this point though, as they have Swift Currents (-14-0 record) 1st round pick. Prince George also has a bunch of other picks including two 2020 first rounders as well so if Savoie commits. They could end up having a very strong foundation to build around him or to trade for talent. So we'll see what he decides. PG could also try and trade the pick for a mountainload of assets.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
People have claimed he's the next Crosby. I don't really like player comparables but he does remind me of Sid simply in the sense that Savoie seems very good/elite in all areas of the game.

Plays a similar down low, lower body strength, high level of vision. But also a sneaky good shooter who can surprise you with his release. Very similar style to Crosby. Not on the same level in my mind though.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York

For the record i think he should go to the WHL it makes the most sense for a kid of his talents and development, but just for fun I'm trying to see how it could be done, the NCAA route. He'd have to accelerate his schooling for sure. And does the USHL have an exceptional status type system, I see Tony Deangelo played in the USHL as a 15 yo. So BCHL next year would be a jump for him and challenge, USHL another jump and College of course would be the most challenging level anywhere for his accelerated draft year. But the WHL would be the most superior for his 15 and 16 year old seasons. Again i think he should go through the WHL, but he could make a challenging path the NCAA route, albeit with a ton of headaches and jumping around.

2018-19: CSSHL 14 yo
2019-20: BCHL/Jr. A/ USHL? 15 yo
2020-21: USHL 16 yo
2021-22: College 17 yo
2022: Draft
2022-23: NHL 18 yo

as opposed to:

2019-20: WHL 15 yo
2020-21: WHL 16 yo
2021-22: WHL 17 yo

so the CHL way, he plays better competition for the next 2 years and worse his draft year. And the NCAA route he plays a clear step down his 15 yo season, and then a better but still step down his 16 yo and then finally a step up his 17 yo season. It could be done, if he really wants to, but that would be a crazy development path. Maybe he and his family really value that path who knows, sure would be interesting seeing such a mega prospect do it differently.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Lower body strength is right...I've seen guys take runs at him in open ice and it's like they're hitting a brickwall.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For the record i think he should go to the WHL it makes the most sense for a kid of his talents and development, but just for fun I'm trying to see how it could be done, the NCAA route. He'd have to accelerate his schooling for sure. And does the USHL have an exceptional status type system, I see Tony Deangelo played in the USHL as a 15 yo. So BCHL next year would be a jump for him and challenge, USHL another jump and College of course would be the most challenging level anywhere for his accelerated draft year. But the WHL would be the most superior for his 15 and 16 year old seasons. Again i think he should go through the WHL, but he could make a challenging path the NCAA route, albeit with a ton of headaches and jumping around.

2019-20: BCHL/Jr. A/ USHL? 15 yo
2020-21: USHL 16 yo
2021-22: College 17 yo

as opposed to:

2019-20: WHL 15 yo
2020-21: WHL 16 yo
2021-22: WHL 17 yo

so the CHL way, he plays better competition for the next 2 years and worse his draft year. And the NCAA route he plays a clear step down his 15 yo season, and then a better but still step down his 16 yo and then finally a step up his 17 yo season. It could be done, if he really wants to, but that would be a crazy development path. Maybe he and his family really value that path who knows, sure would be interesting seeing such a mega prospect do it differently.

The WHL really needs a prospect of this calibre to come through and succeed as no one has ever really come through with this much hype and eventually been drafted with that hype in tact. It would definitely lend some legitimicy to a league that hasn't had a high end prospect go coast to coast ever really..

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Damn I take a little break from following this thread and in 3 games he goes from 15 pts to 25 pts. I really need to start watching him play. Any highlights or even better shift by shift videos of him this weekend?

Last edited:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I've seen him play a handful of times when watching a family member play, the skill/speed/instincts obviously stands out. I have been really impressed by how gritty he is and isn't afraid to dish it out. He sticks up for himself and goes to the corners/front of the net.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know if there's a Connor Bedard thread, but anyone seen him play? He's putting up numbers even higher then Savoie did in bantam. We might be looking at back to back exceptional talents going to the whl in successive years.

Yeah he looks damn good as well. July birthday so hes on the younger side of his age group. Kid broke Sidney Crosbys World Selects record in France with 32 points in 7 games. Seems to be the real deal. Projected 1st round pick for the 2020 WHL bantam draft.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't know if there's a Connor Bedard thread, but anyone seen him play? He's putting up numbers even higher then Savoie did in bantam. We might be looking at back to back exceptional talents going to the whl in successive years.
If we're looking at points it's only "putting up numbers even higher", but if you look at goals it's downright ridiculous. In 12 games he scored more goals than Savoie in 30.

Yeah he looks damn good as well. July birthday so hes on the younger side of his age group. Kid broke Sidney Crosbys World Selects record in France with 32 points in 7 games. Seems to be the real deal. Projected 1st round pick for the 2020 WHL bantam draft.
And same thing here. Not just 32 points, but 24 goals.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Bedard is very impressive, but he's not quite on Savoie's level as a prospect. Skillset is obviously incredibly impressive though.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Cool with two such great prospects from Western Canada. Savoie was mentioned in the child prodigy thread quite some time ago. Good call by whoever it was.

By 2022/23 Crosby and Malkin would be way downhill, Pittsburgh finishes last two seasons in a row and get to pick them both. Makes sense; Lemieux/Jagr, Crosby/Malkin, Savoie/Bedard...can't stop destiny.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Honestly it’s astonishing how much talent has been entering the league since the 2015 draft. We had some rough drafts in 2011,2012 and 2014 but ever since Mcdavid was drafted each year it seems we are getting quality high end guys in the top 3-5 of the draft. It’s a far cry from the 90s when we had Hamrlik,Daigle,Jovanovski, Berard and Phillips all picked 1st overall within a 5 year span.

Of course these kids still have to establish themselves in the league, but looking out from afar it is hard not to be excited by the influx of talent coming in.

Reactions: Chris McKinlay

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Kid is looking like the real deal so far...will be interesting what the next 3.5 years holds.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

May get a chance on the 25th when they play Saints at UBC, ohsix's home ice time is shortly after them. It would be nice to see Fraser playing alongside him, and catch up with Fraser's family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad