C Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg Ice, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So I’ve been watching a ton of NAX games on YouTube and I really do enjoy watching this kids game. He really gives it his all every shift and goes into the dirty areas even though he is smaller than the competition. I think that his shot and nose for the net is pretty underrated. His zone entry’s are something to really behold as well. He is a fantastic skater, not blazing speed like McDavid but very very quick and fast nonetheless. Also you can really tell that his production was very much due to his IQ as a player and not Guenthers. If anything I would say that Guenther actually relied on Savoie more from the games that I watched. Really excited to see how this kid plays this upcoming season. (Gotta say I love the #7 as well, it’s unique and I hope he keeps it)

On a side note: Connor Bedard is another pretty fantastic young player. Sure some of you guys have heard of him. I was watching a few WSI games and he completely dominated. Great edgework for a kid so young and a really fantastic shot. Glad to see Western Canada producing some more potential stars.

Yeah, noticed him a while back:

Speaking of an '05 playing PeeWee A1, was talking to some NSWC parents and it sounds like one of the BC kids will do that for NSWC. I think he won the tournament MVP (but not the playoff MVP as I think the TO goalie got that).

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I was debating putting them in there, but I want to wait and see for those guys. Eichel and Matthews are still on the cusp of breaking out and if Mackinnon can replicate what he did last year then I’d Definitely put him in that tier. Hall is another interesting one as he has a Hart trophy, but at the moment I’d still put him slightly below Tavares, Stamkos and Kane. In all reality that 2nd tier is likely going to become a log jam of names. The 3rd tier would be for guys like Nash, Ekblad,RNH and Eric Johnson while the 4th would be for busts.
I was focusing more on how they were viewed at the date of their draft, than rather their actual career NHL careers or anything that happened post draft. Obviously, Kane's NHL success has changed the view on him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So I’ve been watching a ton of NAX games on YouTube and I really do enjoy watching this kids game. He really gives it his all every shift and goes into the dirty areas even though he is smaller than the competition. I think that his shot and nose for the net is pretty underrated. His zone entry’s are something to really behold as well. He is a fantastic skater, not blazing speed like McDavid but very very quick and fast nonetheless. Also you can really tell that his production was very much due to his IQ as a player and not Guenthers. If anything I would say that Guenther actually relied on Savoie more from the games that I watched. Really excited to see how this kid plays this upcoming season. (Gotta say I love the #7 as well, it’s unique and I hope he keeps it)

On a side note: Connor Bedard is another pretty fantastic young player. Sure some of you guys have heard of him. I was watching a few WSI games and he completely dominated. Great edgework for a kid so young and a really fantastic shot. Glad to see Western Canada producing some more potential stars.

Agreed. If you want to watch some games you can get a 1 month sub of HockeyTV $29 canadian I think. Then suspend it after a month. I watched every game of his on there. Some have bad audio but the video quality is good. Kid is a very cerebral player. Guenther is great and the reason they have such great chemistry is Guenther knows how to find the soft spots on the ice and very rarely misses on his opportunities and Savoie is incredible at setting him up. Very strong playmaker/finisher combo.

Reactions: 99664987

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
Agreed. If you want to watch some games you can get a 1 month sub of HockeyTV $29 canadian I think. Then suspend it after a month. I watched every game of his on there. Some have bad audio but the video quality is good. Kid is a very cerebral player. Guenther is great and the reason they have such great chemistry is Guenther knows how to find the soft spots on the ice and very rarely misses on his opportunities and Savoie is incredible at setting him up. Very strong playmaker/finisher combo.
I’m pretty old school so my comparatives are from long ago. Watched Savoie a number of times this past year and will say his skating is Ken Yaremchuk, his playmaking is Dan Hodgson and his shot is Danny Gare. Put that pkge together and you have a near similar Nathan MacKinnon.

Reactions: KillEmAll83

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I know he turns 15 in January so can he apply for exceptional status for the 2019 WhL draft or is it the 2020 draft that he can do it? What exactly is the deadline for players like him to apply. I’m not familiar with the rules.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I know he turns 15 in January so can he apply for exceptional status for the 2019 WhL draft or is it the 2020 draft that he can do it? What exactly is the deadline for players like him to apply. I’m not familiar with the rules.
It's his draft year regardless, this coming draft is for 04's

cordlessphone

Jul 19, 2011

He will be drafted in the 2019 WHL draft regardless of exceptional status (the WHL draft is a year earlier than the OHL or QMJHL). Exceptional status would allow him to play the full 2019-2020 season in the WHL. I don't know what the deadline would be in this case, whether it would need to be done before the draft or before the season started.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
He will be drafted in the 2019 WHL draft regardless of exceptional status (the WHL draft is a year earlier than the OHL or QMJHL). Exceptional status would allow him to play the full 2019-2020 season in the WHL. I don't know what the deadline would be in this case, whether it would need to be done before the draft or before the season started.

Correct but many believe he has serious NCAA aspirations, older brother already committed to DU. I'm sure all the usual suspects from the NCAA are in on him. He's an interesting prospect to track in the next year, i'm sure an NCAA commitment will be coming this season, a lot of 04's are starting to commit, weather it holds up is TBD...

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I wouldnt be surprised if he does commit to an NCAA school like you said with family commitments, but with such an insanely highly touted prospect, I wont read too much into any possible commitment until his 16 yo season when he would have to skip the WHL and play somewhere else to maintain his NCAA eligibility. You see it every year, the elite kids from Canada, sometimes America, have commitments and then they get drafted high in the O Q or W drafts and bounce on those commitments. Just happened with Perfetti and Stranges and Lawrence etc. But you never know, maybe his brother heads to DU loves it and he and his family decide on NCAA regardless of anything else.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I wouldnt be surprised if he does commit to an NCAA school like you said with family commitments, but with such an insanely highly touted prospect, I wont read too much into any possible commitment until his 16 yo season when he would have to skip the WHL and play somewhere else to maintain his NCAA eligibility. You see it every year, the elite kids from Canada, sometimes America, have commitments and then they get drafted high in the O Q or W drafts and bounce on those commitments. Just happened with Perfetti and Stranges and Lawrence etc. But you never know, maybe his brother heads to DU loves it and he and his family decide on NCAA regardless of anything else.

Unless Savoie accelerates his schooling and gets into college for his 17-year-old season, he'd probably get bored playing in Junior A or the USHL.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Unless Savoie accelerates his schooling and gets into college for his 17-year-old season, he'd probably get bored playing in Junior A or the USHL.
Yeah, for a prospect who is so good and so far ahead of the curve, waiting those years could be anywhere from damaging to development or just boredom. Would almost have to accelerate schooling, cause 1 year would work fine, but 2 wouldnt work. That is that he continues his current path of talent and skill.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Yeah, for a prospect who is so good and so far ahead of the curve, waiting those years could be anywhere from damaging to development or just boredom. Would almost have to accelerate schooling, cause 1 year would work fine, but 2 wouldnt work. That is that he continues his current path of talent and skill.

I agree with most of what you are thinking, having said that he's an 04' player, who knows what his developmental track will be like, many prospects have dominated U13 and U14 levels and level off, not saying that his case at all, also dominating your peer group is never a bad thing. Its easier for USA kids because they have the NTDP U18 that plays some college games so they play some tougher opponents outside the USHL...

Reactions: JiggsNY

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
He dominated the 03 age group and was named mvp of the league. I'd say for his specific development, a step back would be a bad thing. If he has to waste a year in Junior A awaiting college, that would be a real shame.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
This is the Kid that McDavid will eventually pass the throne too. Born and raised in Edmonton, McDavids sphere of influence in a hockey mad market like Edmonton can see some real gems popping up out of that city moving forward. Has a bit of Crosby and McDavid in his game. Not as good at it as them yet but who knows.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is the Kid that McDavid will eventually pass the throne too. Born and raised in Edmonton, McDavids sphere of influence in a hockey mad market like Edmonton can see some real gems popping up out of that city moving forward. Has a bit of Crosby and McDavid in his game. Not as good at it as them yet but who knows.

We can only hope. He definitely plays a very similar style to Crosby. A lot more similar to him than McDavid IMO. Hopefully he sticks to the WHL. I've heard some rumors he is pondering the NCAA.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
According to his team's website, Savoie is going to play midget AAA this year as a 14 year old, skipping the midget elite 15 league altogether. That's crazy impressive, I can't remember a player in Alberta or Western Canada doing that in quite some time.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
According to his team's website, Savoie is going to play midget AAA this year as a 14 year old, skipping the midget elite 15 league altogether. That's crazy impressive, I can't remember a player in Alberta or Western Canada doing that in quite some time.

Sorry for my lack of understanding, but how good is the Midget AAA? Against what age class is he going to play against?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
It might even be U18. That’s insane that’s Savoie will be playing at that level already, either way.
Hes not just playing regular Midget AAA either, hes playing in the Prep age division of the CSSHL, which means he'll be up against 03s-01s.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
CSSHL season has started. Looking forward to see how Savoie does. On a side note the Canada Winter Games are coming up in February and is hosted in Red Deer. I wonder what his odds will be for making Team Alberta.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Just caught a bit of the Banff NAX game(the part that was watchable) and he's obviously the best player on the ice. Best way I can describe his feel for the game is that he seems like he's been playing hockey for 30 years. Complete joy to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad