Prospect Info: C Matthew Phillips, 166th overall

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
How did Kylington not get a chance?

He walked in and stole a job, had a great season then took a season off LOL
OKG thinks Kylington is Norris material. Nothing else is good enough.

Kylington was given plenty of chances
Played some great games but also some awful games. He never completely proved he is top 4 material except occasional flashes.

Reactions: Haatley

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
How did Kylington not get a chance?

He walked in and stole a job, had a great season then took a season off LOL
Guys who established their NHL careers on the Flames, like Kylington, Bennett, Dube, etc, aside, it's classic appeal to ignorance, and circular logic. Philips never being given the very vague "chance" can never be proven false, therefore it's true. How many games would this be? Enough games. How many is enough? Enough to prove he deserved it. It's very bad faith, wanting to have it both ways as well.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Guys who established their NHL careers on the Flames, like Kylington, Bennett, Dube, etc, aside, it's classic appeal to ignorance, and circular logic. Philips never being given the very vague "chance" can never be proven false, therefore it's true. How many games would this be? Enough games. How many is enough? Enough to prove he deserved. It's very bad faith, wanting to have it both ways as well.
I got to watch Phillips live in Montreal. He was not good. Did not look like an NHLer. At that time the Flames still had hopes to compete. Pelletier looked better in his opportunity and snagged a spot.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I agreed in the last couple years, Sutter didn’t give young players enough opportunities.

But before that, everyone that deserved to be in the NHL had their chance. Do we see Flames prospects filling out the NHL rosters around the league? No, we just didn’t have enough quality prospects. Treliving traded many of the picks

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I got to watch Phillips live in Montreal. He was not good. Did not look like an NHLer. At that time the Flames still had hopes to compete. Pelletier looked better in his opportunity and snagged a spot.
But here, OKG and others are claiming not even Pelletier was given a fair shot.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I agreed in the last couple years, Sutter didn’t give young players enough opportunities.

But before that, everyone that deserved to be in the NHL had their chance. Do we see Flames prospects filling out the NHL rosters around the league? No, we just didn’t have enough quality prospects. Treliving traded many of the picks
The evil, and abusive Darryl very rationally explained his method of bringing prospects along, and specifically Pelletier. But Valji and Francis whipped up such a frenzy because they wanted shiny new toys, twisting a young player's personal journey to pro hockey for their own clickbait, and Darryl's ill-advised scoresheet jab, which was very clearly directed at the media, and not Pelletier, was gasoline on the blaze, no going back. The Flames hate prospects, and small players.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I hope he does get a chance here so everyone can shut up. He isn't going to be Martin St. Louis.
Making the NHL is impossibly hard, and the reality is cruel and harsh, but somehow the Calgary Flames didn't want the best for the hometown kid.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The evil, and abusive Darryl very rationally explained his method of bringing prospects along, and specifically Pelletier. But Valji and Francis whipped up such a frenzy because they wanted shiny new toys, twisting a young player's personal journey to pro hockey for their own clickbait, and Darryl's ill-advised scoresheet jab, which was very clearly directed at the media, and not Pelletier, was gasoline on the blaze, no going back. The Flames hate prospects, and small players.
Sutter said valimaki wasn’t an nhl dman… proceeded to play like a top 4d almost immediately after he left the team.

Sorry, he was wrong and did a shit job integrating young talent. I find it funny that dragging a player through the mud to settle personal scores with be media is a defence too… hahahahaha.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Sutter said valimaki wasn’t an nhl dman… proceeded to play like a top 4d almost immediately after he left the team.

Sorry, he was wrong and did a shit job integrating young talent. I find it funny that dragging a player through the mud to settle personal scores with be media is a defence too… hahahahaha.
Provide the quote where he said Valimaki wasn't an NHL defenceman. I'm sure you wouldn't be twisting his words when he said Valimaki had "growing up to do," or any of the numerous times where he said being an nhl defenseman is tough and Valimaki's preparation needed work. I'm sure Sutter didnt say he'd never make an Nhl d-man. Sorry. The fact is Valimaki was a young d-man stuck behind and not playing like he belonged in a deep defence corps. He went to a bottom feeder and was given top 4 minutes right away and looked good in a short run.
The players people keep harping on as being short changed by Darryl were shit for large periods here.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Eerily similar situation though. Phillips is the same age as St. Louis was when the Flames gave up on him.
Yeah, however St Louis was an undrafted college free agent that literally nobody wanted, in an era where there was a legit stigma against very small players. With no draft or nhl pedigree and a buffoon like Button as gm, who didnt know anything about St Louis, they got rid of him. Philips was drafted and developed by the flames, in an era much more forgiving to small players, but yes Philips is the smallest of the small. I'm more inclined to believe they know what they have in him. Nothing is a safe bet in the nhl though, obviously.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Provide the quote where he said Valimaki wasn't an NHL defenceman. I'm sure you wouldn't be twisting his words when he said Valimaki had "growing up to do," or any of the numerous times where he said being an nhl defenseman is tough and Valimaki's preparation needed work. I'm sure Sutter didnt say he'd never make an Nhl d-man. Sorry. The fact is Valimaki was a young d-man stuck behind and not playing like he belonged in a deep defence corps. He went to a bottom feeder and was given top 4 minutes right away and looked good in a short run.
The players people keep harping on as being short changed by Darryl were shit for large periods here.

“There’s a whole package there that has to come together and i think it will over time, but you have to look at the steps. You can’t just look at he was this or he’s that, it’s where he’s going to fit in, what his role’s going to be, how he can be effective in the league, working on his skillset – the skating part of it, the shooting part of it, the passing part of it – they’re all areas that are in that 75-80%. It’s not close to being all the way there yet.”

What is that implying if it’s saying he’s not up to snuff for nhl play? Proceeded to get sent down soon enough after these quotes and his confidence gradually shattered and play degraded with the organization. Ofc that won’t be good enough for you, if the words aren’t explicit it’s twisting words lol. The actions and deployment the team had towards him need not apply either.

He was right though, the package came together… just not under his tenure.

• Haha

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

“There’s a whole package there that has to come together and i think it will over time, but you have to look at the steps. You can’t just look at he was this or he’s that, it’s where he’s going to fit in, what his role’s going to be, how he can be effective in the league, working on his skillset – the skating part of it, the shooting part of it, the passing part of it – they’re all areas that are in that 75-80%. It’s not close to being all the way there yet.”

What is that implying if it’s saying he’s not up to snuff for nhl play? Proceeded to get sent down soon enough after these quotes and his confidence gradually shattered and play degraded with the organization. Ofc that won’t be good enough for you, if the words aren’t explicit it’s twisting words lol. The actions and deployment the team had towards him need not apply either.

He was right though, the package came together… just not under his tenure.
Indeed. Who's that on? I guess the player doesnt ever need to pull his own head out of his ass. All I see there is constructive criticism(which you'd call muckraking) qualified by saying he hasn't put it all together yet. He's then handed the minutes by a team in which he couldn't possibly not make the top 4 and excelled for a while. What's the problem? Darryl said time and time again there's only so many spots on a team supposedly trying to make a run.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Indeed. Who's that on? I guess the player doesnt ever need to pull his own head out of his ass. All I see there is constructive criticism(which you'd call muckraking) qualified by saying he hasn't put it all together yet. He's then handed the minutes by a team in which he couldn't possibly not make the top 4 and excelled for a while. What's the problem? Darryl said time and time again there's only so many spots on a team supposedly trying to make a run.
Valimaki was playing nhl minutes before sutter came along and was doing well… valiamki was playing nhl minutes after he left the flames and did well. The “constructive criticism” is a load of bullshit, he wasn’t 70-80% there. He was a f***ing solid nhl dman who’s confidence was wrecked for no reason. No means was he perfect, but he was putting in a perfectly fine 16 mins a night under an inept Geoff ward and had 8 pts in 24 games. Not earth shattering, but a solid asset!

I’m sorry, but screaming “entitlement” and whatnot when sutter played a broken down Milan lucic and played favs with his vets to the end is hilarious! The flames lost a 16th overall pick and years of development for nothing, and another organization benefited from that because the flames had a development system that was becoming cancerous.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Valimaki was playing nhl minutes before sutter came along and was doing well… valiamki was playing nhl minutes after he left the flames and did well. The “constructive criticism” is a load of bullshit, he wasn’t 70-80% there. He was a f***ing solid nhl dman who’s confidence was wrecked for no reason. No means was he perfect, but he was putting in a perfectly fine 16 mins a night under an inept Geoff ward and had 8 pts in 24 games. Not earth shattering, but a solid asset!

The flames lost a 16th overall pick and years of development for nothing, and another organization benefited from that.
A coach saying a 22 year old defenceman hasn't put it all together yet is total bullshit? That was his evaluation at the time! The fact is Valimaki didn't look good the last 2 years. Darryl was asked again and again about him, and he always said his preparation is lacking. When he sent sent him down he said all he wanted was for him to get games. Realistically the jury is still out on Valimaki's viability in the NHL. You'd prefer to devour Francis/Valji fanfiction and that's on you.

• Haha
Reactions: super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
A coach saying a 22 year old defenceman hasn't put it all together yet is total bullshit? That was his evaluation at the time! The fact is Valimaki didn't look good the last 2 years. Darryl was asked again and again about him, and he always said his preparation is lacking. When he sent sent him down he said all he wanted was for him to get games. Realistically the jury is still out on Valimaki's viability in the NHL. You'd prefer to devour Francis/Valji fanfiction and that's on you.
“His prep was lacking”

He was a good nhl dman before and after sutter. What a load of shit. His prep was enough to be a solid player in the league when Daryl sutter wasn’t around spreading misery and sadness.

I’d suggest you let sutter’s wife take care of sutter, but at the same time I don’t want to ruin your chance to devour the prep he sells because that’s on you for eating it up.

Last edited:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

You're right but still

Tkachuk, Bennett, Hathaway, Lomberg, Valimaki, Kulak, Rittich, Brossoit, Jankowski

Aside from Tkachuk, that's a list of players deemed not good enough to play for Calgary but who've still managed to carve out NHL careers of varying quality elsewhere.

Given the Flames' track record of development, it's bizarre that anyone would ever give them the benefit of the doubt. Especially when they prove time and time again, particularly when that demented dinosaur of a dutter is shamefully trotted out, that they don't know what they're doing.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
“His prep was lacking”

He was a good nhl dman before and after sutter. What a load of shit. His prep was enough to be a solid player in the league when Daryl sutter wasn’t around.

I’d suggest you let sutter’s wife take care of sutter, but I wouldn’t want to ruin your chance to devour the prep he sells.
He was a sophomore with 73 NHL games total over 3 years who had finished a conditioning stint in Finland coming back from a severe injury. Treliving's prized draft pick whom he wouldn't include in any deals for players the franchise actually needed. Instead he fills out the defence with guys who Valimaki couldn't overtake, and turns him over to a coach who actually knows what he's doing with NHL defensemen, and said coach deems him a bit lacking.

You're right but still

Tkachuk, Bennett, Hathaway, Lomberg, Valimaki, Kulak, Rittich, Brossoit, Jankowski

Aside from Tkachuk, that's a list of players deemed not good enough to play for Calgary but who've still managed to carve out NHL careers of varying quality elsewhere.

Given the Flames' track record of development, it's bizarre that anyone would ever give them the benefit of the doubt. Especially when they prove time and time again, particularly when that demented dinosaur of a dutter is shamefully trotted out, that they don't know what they're doing.
You can say that about players from every organization in the league.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Making the NHL is impossibly hard, and the reality is cruel and harsh, but somehow Darryl Sutter didn't want the best for the 5'7" 140 lb. hometown kid.
Fixed your post. In Darryl Sutter's eyes unless he was the 2nd coming of Wayne Gretzky he was never going to get a fair opportunity to prove himself playing for the Flames. Too many quality wingers such as Nick and Brett Ritchie ahead of him.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Yeah but that's not true. Kylington out played him and took his spot, from the AHL. Was he better than Zadorov....debatable. Are the Coyotes actually an NHL team....debatable.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Fixed your post. In Darryl Sutter's eyes unless he was the 2nd coming of Wayne Gretzky he was never going to get a fair opportunity to prove himself playing for the Flames. Too many quality wingers such as Nick and Brett Ritchie ahead of him.
Gee thanks. It was moreso just a practical matter. Who was Philips taking a spot from in the top 6? What role was he playing in the bottom 6? If you think that sort of evaluation is impossible without him playing in the NHL for an extended period, I don't know what to tell you. Sutter wasn't the only Flames coach to cut him.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

I’m sorry, but screaming “entitlement” and whatnot when sutter played a broken down Milan lucic and played favs with his vets to the end is hilarious! The flames lost a 16th overall pick and years of development for nothing, and another organization benefited from that because the flames had a development system that was becoming cancerous.
I'm pretty sure that if he watched any sort of media or follows this board particularly, his confidence was trashed before Sutter even started. He wasn't solid, he didn't play well and he lost his spot to the hungrier competition. The injury really wrecked any sort of potential value.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You're right but still

Most of those guys had plenty of chances with the Flames.

You could argue we gave up n Valimaki a little early but he had chances and performed like shit

Lamberg and Broissoit didn’t have as many chance but they are fringe NHLers

On that list Bennett was the only one that was mishandled but he was also partially at fault

Reactions: Nanuuk

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Most of those guys had plenty of chances with the Flames.

You could argue we gave up n Valimaki a little early but he had chances and performed like shit

Lamberg and Broissoit didn’t have as many chance but they are fringe NHLers

On that list Bennett was the only one that was mishandled but he was also partially at fault
Calgary ruined Bennett so badly he's only a 50 point player despite getting his rightful minutes stapled to superstars in Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad