Prospect Info: C Matthew Phillips, 166th overall

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Maybe its just me but I get the impression that Sutter is being forced to play Phillips.. like its the last game of the year and Phillips FINALLY gets a chance to show his stuff.

I guess we shall see if he gets an honest opportunity to prove himself or if gets dumped onto the 4th line and plays just a few minutes.

Good luck Matt. I hope you get a fair shot.

Reactions: barriers
Sep 13, 2009
Any word on Phillips? I would hate to lose him without first giving him a chance. What does it say about this franchise when even a local product - Calgary born & raised and huge Flames fan - refuses to sign with his hometown team.

This organization just pisses me off sometimes. :mad:

Last edited:

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Conroy said on TheFan after he got hired that he wants to bring Phillips back and Phillips told him that he wants opportunity if he does sign back. Well, with Toffoli inevitably being traded and Sutter gone I think the chances of Phillips signing back have increased significantly
Why not, give the kid a chance. Love to see him get an opportunity.

Reactions: Tofveve

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
He for sure deserves his shot, and not just 1-2 games playing miniscule minutes. He’s put in his time and then some and performed.

If he flames out so be it but at least it’s not because he never got a chance

He for sure deserves his shot, and not just 1-2 games playing miniscule minutes. He’s put in his time and then some and performed.

If he flames out so be it but at least it’s

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Give him a shot but maybe a waste of time

Not good enough to be too 6 and useless for anything else …I.e Austin Czarnik

Reactions: MM917 and Tofveve

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Any word on Phillips? I would hate to lose him without first giving him a chance. What does it say about this franchise when even a local product - Calgary born & raised and huge Flames fan - refuses to sign with the Flames.

This organization just pisses me off sometimes. :mad:
Very probable that he tests the free agency market. There will probably be a team that offers up a two+ year, one-way deal in the $1 million range (whatever the ceiling is for burying a contract).

Sep 13, 2009
Conroy said on TheFan after he got hired that he wants to bring Phillips back and Phillips told him that he wants opportunity if he does sign back. Well, with Toffoli inevitably being traded and Sutter gone I think the chances of Phillips signing back have increased significantly
Highly unlikely, considering the Flames signed Bishop and Dansk and no mention of Phillips. He's probably already told the Flames he's not coming back.

What a useless organization. :thumbd:

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Craig can claim him off waivers when he gets sent down after 1 game by his new team.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Give him a shot but maybe a waste of time

Not good enough to be too 6 and useless for anything else …I.e Austin Czarnik
This is it. Pretty hard to make your way in the NHL, as one of the smallest men on the ice and not be an elite skater. The fact that he hasn't been packaged, as part of a trade, kind of shows the interest around the league.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This is it. Pretty hard to make your way in the NHL, as one of the smallest men on the ice and not be an elite skater. The fact that he hasn't been packaged, as part of a trade, kind of shows the interest around the league.
He's 25 and could never make the team. Didn't show NHL qualities. It's a bit of a cope for anybody to say the organization kept him down because of his size, with their history of going to lengths to integrate guys like Czarnik and Gaudreau. There's some kind of fantasy that he has Kent Nilsson dangles and the evil Flames brass want to be mediocre.

Reactions: MM917 and Tofveve

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
He's 25 and could never make the team. Didn't show NHL qualities. It's a bit of a cope for anybody to say the organization kept him down because of his size, with their history of going to lengths to integrate guys like Czarnik and Gaudreau. There's some kind of fantasy that he has Kent Nilsson dangles and the evil Flames brass want to be mediocre.
Exactly, even as recent as Pelletier. The Flames have not been afraid to give smaller players a shot. Would've been nice to see him get a few more games but it's one of the few organization decisions that I don't disagree with.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Watching him in his few games with us I couldn't believe how short his legs are. He's small but not Fleury or Gaudreau small where those guys can fly around the ice. I just can't see him making it in the NHL.

That said, given we have to be in rebuild mode, give him a chance over a chunk of games with decent minutes.

Reactions: Haatley

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Do you ever stop?

The Flames management has time and time again made poor decisions with young players. Bennett, Dube, Kulak, Byron, Valimaki, Kylington, Pelletier, Ruzicka. None of those players were given fair chances. Look at how we handle the preseason or meaningless games when we are eliminated from the playoffs. We don’t even try prospects in good roles in those situations. We just pigeon hole players as AHLers without even giving them any chance to succeed. Then we wonder why everyone wants to leave and why they continually have success with other organizations.

Phillips never had a chance. He did everything he could in the minors to earn a chance and was not given.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Do you ever stop?

The Flames management has time and time again made poor decisions with young players. Bennett, Dube, Kulak, Byron, Valimaki, Kylington, Pelletier, Ruzicka. None of those players were given fair chances. Look at how we handle the preseason or meaningless games when we are eliminated from the playoffs. We don’t even try prospects in good roles in those situations. We just pigeon hole players as AHLers without even giving them any chance to succeed. Then we wonder why everyone wants to leave and why they continually have success with other organizations.

Phillips never had a chance. He did everything he could in the minors to earn a chance and was not given.
What chance were any of those players not given? Kylington had 168 games in a Flames sweater when he takes a year off in Europe. Are you going to honestly tell me Pelletier has not been given a chance? He's 22. He's a regular NHLer next year, not doubt. I won't even get into Bennett and the rest

Last edited:
Reactions: Haatley and Nanuuk

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We consistently have the league’s most expensive 4th line and were the last team to graduate a prospect drafted after 2017. Are we really the team that gives prospects a chance?

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Phillips went through waivers unclaimed and has clearly not been a part of Calgary's plans for at least one year if not longer and had zero interest in teams coming in to make a deal for him.

If he was close to as good as some fans think you would have to think a team would offer a 4th to get him out of Calgary. Hard to see why the Flames would say no to that when they don't play him.

He would be the shortest and lightest player in the league. We have seen plenty of AHL stars do nothing at the NHL level, at some point we have to admit what is clear as day, this kid isn't good enough.

That said if they are rebuilding next season no problem throwing him out there for fans to have something to cheer about but it is doubtful they will be cheering much other than his story as I wouldn't expect much production.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What chance were any of those players not given? Kylington had 168 games in a Flames sweater when he takes a year off in Europe. Are you going to honestly tell me Pelletier has not been given a chance? He's 22. He's a regular NHLer next year, not doubt. I won't even get into Bennett and the rest
disingenuous af

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad