Prospect Info: C Matthew Phillips, 166th overall

ryleyb

Mar 29, 2016
lucky guys

Royals fan here - some thoughts about Phillips.

First, you're going to be pretty surprised when you see him. He is very small. What you'll find though is that he's very fast (right up there in the WHL). He is smart, not afraid to get dirty around the net, and obviously, scores a lot of goals.

Rookie season this year, he played every game (72 GP), and put up 76 points (37G 39A), plus another 8 points in the playoffs.

Pretty damn good for a rookie. If he grows at all or gains some weight, it's all going to be a plus. Expect a bigger year from him next year in Junior too. He was already playing 1st line the whole season, so he's hasn't been "hiding" vs worse defense.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think he's a guy who can project as a 80-100 point guy next year.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I really wanted the Canucks to draft him. Small and slight, but goes to the dirty areas. Great at stealing pucks. Extremely clutch. Fast, loads of skill. He kind of reminds me of a cross between Brendan Gallagher and Johnny Gaudreau.

He may be a longshot to make it at the NHL level as his frame is extremely small, so I doubt there's much potential to grow there, but Gaudreau did prove his critics wrong. I don't think Phillips has Gaudreau's level of skill, though.

He's listed as a centre but primarily played RW in my viewings (Forsberg generally centered him and Hannoun on the second line).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Courtesy Caged Great:

rkWGwW.gif

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Mangipane is 5'10". Short but not that much so. Crosby's 5'11" for example.

Phillips also still has a few more years to grow. If he can reach 5'8" or even 5'9", I think he could end up being the next Cam Atkinson.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
Mangipane is 5'10". Short but not that much so. Crosby's 5'11" for example.

Phillips also still has a few more years to grow. If he can reach 5'8" or even 5'9", I think he could end up being the next Cam Atkinson.

I met his grand parents and they were very short as well, his grand father was only 5-7 or 5-8, so there might not be much more upward growth there.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
back to back games with hat tricks for phillips. he's looking pretty good this year.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Never forget pospisil>Phillips lol. Just proves my point that pro production is so much more meaningful than beasting as an overager in juniors.

His production has been very comparable to mangiapane in his first two AHL seasons. May need another year or two, but he could be close. Could provide a much needed boost to the middle six if he makes it.

Also funny enough, both players were picked at 166. Just realized that now.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Never forget pospisil>Phillips lol. Just proves my point that pro production is so much more meaningful than beasting as an overager in juniors.
I put Pospisil over Phillips for one reason. Pospisil is the kind of player, who is most likely, going to be a 4th line roleplayer/grinder. At worst, a call-up if a team needs muscle. If I were to compare him to players, he peaks at a Hathaway, and bottoms out at a Lomberg. If he falls in the middle, he'll get a job as a 4th liner on a team that needs depth (even if not as a Flame). Phillips reminds me of a boom or bust pick. He's either going to make it (likely as a second liner), or plays his career in the AHL/Europe. I like Phillips, it's just if I'm putting money on which one has a longer career as an NHL'er, it's Pospisil.

Point stands though, Phillips had a great game, and if he can keep this kind of effort up (even if not necessarily 5 point games, but if he can maintain himself as a force every game) I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes the management team for a call-up (even if it is only a handful of games to give him a taste).

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I put Pospisil over Phillips for one reason. Pospisil is the kind of player, who is most likely, going to be a 4th line roleplayer/grinder. At worst, a call-up if a team needs muscle. If I were to compare him to players, he peaks at a Hathaway, and bottoms out at a Lomberg. If he falls in the middle, he'll get a job as a 4th liner on a team that needs depth (even if not as a Flame). Phillips reminds me of a boom or bust pick. He's either going to make it (likely as a second liner), or plays his career in the AHL/Europe. I like Phillips, it's just if I'm putting money on which one has a longer career as an NHL'er, it's Pospisil.

Point stands though, Phillips had a great game, and if he can keep this kind of effort up (even if not necessarily 5 point games, but if he can maintain himself as a force every game) I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes the management team for a call-up (even if it is only a handful of games to give him a taste).
People said them same thing about Hunter Smith. Playing a rough game doesn't mean you're going to make the NHL, most 4th liners were excellent players at lower levels, and IMO Pospisil hasn't shown that. His only good season was playing with a 1st round talent in Bobby Brink and he did it a year after most NHL calibre prospects leave the USHL.

I think Phillips will be an NHLer, I said that a few years ago and I stick by it.

Edit: Is Matthew Phillips the RHS power forward we've been looking for since Iggy?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad