C Mark Jankowski - Providence College, NCAA (2012, 21st, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the-rasta-masta

Jul 14, 2002
calgary
Visit site
Honestly, he was a riser in that draft and he was a 21st overall who should have been likelier as a 2nd round pick... which is like what, a 15-30% chance of ever making the NHL as a full-time player?

I think he'll make the NHL, but he won't live up to the Feaster "best player in 10 years" proclamations, which is pretty obvious by now. But by no means should his name be crossed off the list of prospects as of yet.

My only question is, will he pass Max Reinhart first? If we're talking about a potential bottom-6 defensive centre, it's pretty obvious he'll have to surpass the likes of Jooris, Granlund, Reinhart, Stajan, and others, just to name a few even though some will undoubtedly be moved onto wing to accommodate better centres, or moved to another team outright.

I don't see him as an NHL regular until age 22 or 23, but I really wonder at times if the Flames even have room for him. I still want to take the time to develop him slowly and properly and hope that he has the patience and devotion to the game and his career to do the same, but that's still quite a ways away for just a "promise" of a professional career one day.

I honestly doubt the Flames sign Reinhart... huge step back this year and it seems quite a few other prospects have passed him.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I honestly doubt the Flames sign Reinhart... huge step back this year and it seems quite a few other prospects have passed him.

I agree - not sure what happened to Reinhart as he'd been very consistent until this season.

I think Jankowski has likely already passed him in the Flames prospect rankings.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

I think the drop in production is partly due to him being pushed to center this year. Since Sven was dealt, Reinhart has been doing very well. His defensive game is strong too. Wouldn't be surprised if he makes the Flames next year.

It also didn't help that Abbottsford lost pretty much all of it's veterans. Lost several dmen who have helped provide offense. Lost the top 2 centers in Blair Jones and Ben Street as well. With the exception of Poirier and Wolf, everyone has taken a bit of a step back.

If Calgary doesn't re-sign him, someone is getting a steal.

Last edited:

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Joe Colborne v2!

Which honestly doesn't make that too bad.

Colborne was also thought of as a top line center at early points of his career.

Pomeranian

Sep 2, 2008
Great game from Janks! So young, talented. He
won most of his faceoffs and the GWG! So smart defensively.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Looked great in the final, 9/13 in the dot with a nice snipe.

First time I seen him this year, along with great vision he looked very strong on his skates. Hard to believe he's still only 20 years old.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Looked great in the final, 9/13 in the dot with a nice snipe.

First time I seen him this year, along with great vision he looked very strong on his skates. Hard to believe he's still only 20 years old.
I thought he was the Friars best forward to be honest.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary

Reinhart was in the mother of all slumps for the first four months of the season, but he's rebounded significantly. He's actually only 3rd in points behind Poirier by 3 and 5 behind Agostino for the team lead.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Showcased himself well in NCAA's biggest game; never expected to be more than a 4 year college player then to the pros but given Friar's defensive system and Jank's role, I would say he is progressing very well.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Any chance he turns pro this year????

I'd say it's doubtful, but who knows. I'm sure he could handle the AHL, but another year in the NCAA wouldn't kill him. The Flames would likely prefer to sign him before his final year though. He'd definitely be poached by another organization if he wanted to go that route.

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
Good to see progress with this kid. Won the NCAA championship and was named to the allstar team for that championship, then is the best prospect for Flames at development camp this summer and now starts the NCAA season and gets 4 pts in his first game as a senior. Good on him.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

A Kopitar/Getzlaf/Spezza/RyJo type #1C.

Strenghts/

6'4" / 200lbs
High hockey IQ, reads the play well
Beautiful puck-handling, can make a nice zone entry and can dangle multiple guys
Elite vision + tape-to-tape passing
Ice-water in veins + wrist shot accuracy (plays his best in close, meaningful games)
Great backchecker, great defensively and always supports the D-man, held Eichel in check IMO last year. Also sweet at clearing rebounds in front of the crease.
Strong on faceoffs (2nd in Hockey east last year)
Strong Skating (Above average by NHL standards)
Finally getting strong enough for the NCAA level
Good at screening goaltenders for point shots

Weaknesses ?

Needs to get stronger (projected NHL playing weight is ~215-220lbs).

Doesn't look to shoot the puck enough, and doesn't have that corsi mentality of shoot-shoot-shoot. Tanguay-levels of unselfish.

A bit too passive in offensive zone in general, needs to want the puck more on his stick. Not a floater, just unselfish to a fault away from the puck, on a team where he's not playing with highly skilled playmakers, his linemates tend to have the puck way more.

I haven't seen too many tip-goals by him. Then again Providence' blueliners tend to beat goalies cleanly like, every game.

Projection ?

Riley Sheahan. If the Flames decide to toss him on the wing though, then Kevin Hayes.

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
not saying he does this but imagine he bolts (pun intended) the flames what teams would sign him.

Going to emphasis that the odd's that happens are drastically small. The Flames have been great to him.

IF he did pull that though, I'd imagine every NHL team would be showing some interest.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
not saying he does this but imagine he bolts (pun intended) the flames what teams would sign him.

Who else but the same old vultures that got Erixon away from us and Hayes away from Chicago. Wouldn't be surprised if they were already talking to his agentadvisor telling him about the lovely facilitiestowels and soaps in MSGthe general manhattan area.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
A Kopitar/Getzlaf/Spezza/RyJo type #1C.

Riley Sheahan. If the Flames decide to toss him on the wing though, then Kevin Hayes.

Kopitar of the AHL yes.

If he got a pro contract id be suprised. Cant see many teams wasting a contract. Flames would probaly be better off getting that 2nd round pick as comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad