C Mark Jankowski - Providence College, NCAA (2012, 21st, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

6yekcoh

Apr 13, 2012
see below

thanks, beat me to it

I love when people look at points and nothing else. Numbers alone prove nothing.
Yes exactly my point . YOU are the one who brought up the 21% increase in points . So just thought we should put that 21% in perspective . In the end I would look at who is on the ice at the end of a close game . I wish only good thinks for jankowski because I like seeing the underdog prove naysayers wrong

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Career Points- 43 over 2 years in 73 games. 25 points this year in a 39 game season. So now he is scoring .64 ppg vs .53 ppg. Are those the numbers that prove he is a quality first round pick?

Yes exactly my point . YOU are the one who brought up the 21% increase in points . So just thought we should put that 21% in perspective . In the end I would look at who is on the ice at the end of a close game . I wish only good thinks for jankowski because I like seeing the underdog prove naysayers wrong

Seeing has your saying that those numbers aren't 1st round pick type numbers. Which one of the following players first 2 years shows that they were worth of being first rounders?

Kevin Hayes
14P 31 Games
28P 44 Games

Chris Kreider
23P 38 Games
24P 32 Games

Blake Wheeler
23P 39 Games (a early older in his first year in NCAA)
38P 44 Games

Simply put most tall guys that need to fill out their frame seem to put up "low" numbers in college for several years as adding mass is half their battle. Instead of looking at numbers and making comments you need to keep in mind the kind of player he is and who he compares too. Janko is only a month older than Monahan and Monahan is much more developed physically.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I misread the post I quoted and thought he asked about the rate he was improving. Unfortunately the only thing you can quantify is points.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Jankowski is exactly where you would expect in his development based on his draft position and that fact that everyone knows he is a long-term project. He was drafted 21st overall, not in the top 10. He'd probably go in the late first round in a re-draft. I don't get the fuss here.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Jankowski is exactly where you would expect in his development based on his draft position and that fact that everyone knows he is a long-term project. He was drafted 21st overall, not in the top 10. He'd probably go in the late first round in a re-draft. I don't get the fuss here.

because people love to hate on the Flames' draft picks for no reason. Now that Gaudreau has scored in the NHL level they can't hate him anymore, so the focus has shifted to Djanko

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
because people love to hate on the Flames' draft picks for no reason. Now that Gaudreau has scored in the NHL level they can't hate him anymore, so the focus has shifted to Djanko

While I'm a believer in Gaudreau, it's pretty silly to act like his debut changed or should change anyone's thoughts on him

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
How good a prospect is Mark Jankowski?

At this point he's probably a B-level prospect; not bad, but if he's the highlight of your prospect depth you're in trouble. Luckily the Flames have been excellent at finding prospects of late and so he's really only in that 10-15 range, as far as our pool is generally perceived by the fanbase.

He's an interesting player to observe, because as far as technical abilities go he's got everything you'd really want in a player. He's a smooth skater, he's got the height and frame that suggests a good amount of potential, and he's got very good hands and playmaking abilities. Intangibly, he is willing to get into scoring areas, has good vision and overall hockey sense, and has improved defensively by leaps and bounds. Overall, he's very well-rounded, which may be a by-product of a team and coach that plays a defensively oriented game and expects every player to be able to play responsible two-way hockey.

On the other hand, he doesn't translate that talent into on-ice numbers. He's just one of those guys that gets involved and at the end of a good play has no points to show for it.

This is a team that has 34 goals in 16 games, but has a record of 9-6-1 thanks to a stifling game plan and an elite NCAA goalie in Jon Gillies. Jankowski himself has been involved in just over 30% of his team's goals when he's dressed. That's on the same level or better than other fairly highly-thought of juniors and seniors like Austin Czarnik, Sean Kuraly, Riley Barber, and Teddy Blueger, and just a slight step down from same-age peers like Kyle Rau, Jimmy Vesey and Danny O'Regan (who plays with Jack Eichel, it must be pointed out).

So his numbers don't really tell how talented he is, nor do they show the massive improvement in his defensive game since he was drafted. And he's definitely got more scoring abilities than 1 goal in 12 games, expect that number to jump up accordingly.

If he has a big weakness, I often find he's one of those guys who works around what the game gives him, rather than outright takes control of the game by force. So while he is consistently a very solid player, he's not going to be a game-breaker at the next level. He's not necessarily a player to shy away from physicality, but he doesn't go out of his way to crash and bang nor does he really have the strength to do so. Very vanilla style of play, one of those versatile guys who could probably fit in anywhere, but maybe not the kind of player who will become a core member of a team and a guy who probably will get criticized at some point for looking like he doesn't care on the ice, regardless of what his overall play says.

Definitely has pro potential, but he was a project when he was drafted and he still is to this day. That being said, he's polished up his pro-game which should help him transition to the AHL. He still could become a 2nd line forward, but he's going to be a slow cooker and maybe a guy who you'd be better off using as part of a package for an NHL-ready player.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012

This is a very charitable assessment at this point in time, one third of his way through his junior season. Physically, he his still not where he needs to be in terms of projecting well at the AHL level. He is still not a "go to" offensive player, even within the context of Nate Lehman's defensively oriented system. The skill is there certainly but production should be significantly more impactful for a guy in his 3rd college season. His speed is good not great and he doesn't make the players around him better, which is what you would hope to see at this point. He reminds me of Boo Nieves at this point who himself is coming off a disappointing sophomore season at Michigan. Nieves was a 2nd selection of the Rangers in 2012, I think that's about where Janko would be re-drafted at this point. I'm rooting for the guy but to be fair he hasn't developed terribly well.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This is a very charitable assessment at this point in time, one third of his way through his junior season. Physically, he his still not where he needs to be in terms of projecting well at the AHL level. He is still not a "go to" offensive player, even within the context of Nate Lehman's defensively oriented system. The skill is there certainly but production should be significantly more impactful for a guy in his 3rd college season. His speed is good not great and he doesn't make the players around him better, which is what you would hope to see at this point. He reminds me of Boo Nieves at this point who himself is coming off a disappointing sophomore season at Michigan. Nieves was a 2nd selection of the Rangers in 2012, I think that's about where Janko would be re-drafted at this point. I'm rooting for the guy but to be fair he hasn't developed terribly well.

If he's not there physically, then all the better. That helps make up for the fact that he's been underwhelming, since part of it could still be the fact that he needs to physically develop even further.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
In some ways Jankowski is fortunate the Flames have Monahan and Bennett.

Developmentally it means there will be no pressure to rush him.

Bennett and Monahan should lock down the top C spots with Jankowski ultimately competing for 3rd or 4th line duties - at least initially.

On the negative side, the Flames also have a ton of guys who can play C - Backlund, Colborne, Granlund, Jooris, Reinhart, Arnold and Knight. So Jankowski is going to have to show something if he wants to crack the NHL lineup at some point.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Joe Colborne took awhile, I expect Janko to take the same amount of time.

Unfortunately that also indicates that his ceiling is likely around Colborne level, which is fine in the sense that he's an NHLer, but not exactly what was sold to us at the draft.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Unfortunately that also indicates that his ceiling is likely around Colborne level, which is fine in the sense that he's an NHLer, but not exactly what was sold to us at the draft.

Can never trust the words coming from a lawyer :) That being said, the range on his potential is huge. They did mention he could be anywhere from a 4th line to a top line guy. Plus who knows, maybe he is the type of guy that does better in pro hockey than he does in junior? From the few games I've seen, he doesn't have the "take over game" mentality, he plays like methodically...and almost afraid to say is feels like Jbo but as a forward. Just not very noticeable but you know hes out there and hes not playing poorly.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Honestly at this point I don't know if his ceiling is much higher than a Colborne. Maybe Matt Stajan's current level as a career peak.

In my limited viewings of Jankowski, I haven't seen anything in him that resembles Colborne in terms of a ceiling. Colborne is an excellent passer, has very good vision and makes his line mates better, AT THE NHL LEVEL. Granted he is quite a bit older but he is bigger, skates just as well and other than the fact that he has been severely unlucky with injuries, he projects as a very productive player in the future, there's been no glimpse of that from Jankowski except at the high school level. Maybe I'm too negative but I just don't see it honestly. I think that other than being frustrated by Colborne's injury history, the Flames remain quite high on him, which I agree with.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Can never trust the words coming from a lawyer :) That being said, the range on his potential is huge. They did mention he could be anywhere from a 4th line to a top line guy. .

That's a lie. He has done nothing to show that he has top line potential

Nightfx

Nov 23, 2009
Calgary
Hard to tell how good he can really be offensively because Providence is a defence first team, he's really good at faceoffs and very good defensively though. If he can be a 3rd line shut down center then the Flames are happy with Bennett and Monahan as 1 & 2.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Any update on Jankowski? He's an interesting prospect.
Kind of a ho-hum season in Providence this year, he has learned to play the 200 foot game and will eclipse his point totals but I really hope he gets away from that dreadfull defense 1st-2nd and 3rd coaching and turns pro next year.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Kind of a ho-hum season in Providence this year, he has learned to play the 200 foot game and will eclipse his point totals but I really hope he gets away from that dreadfull defense 1st-2nd and 3rd coaching and turns pro next year.

Really doubt that happens. I'm completely assuming, but i'd be willing to bed Janko finishes his degree and signs with us.

It would be great to see him in the AHL next year, but that's going to have to wait.

Aug 3, 2010
Honestly, he was a riser in that draft and he was a 21st overall who should have been likelier as a 2nd round pick... which is like what, a 15-30% chance of ever making the NHL as a full-time player?

I think he'll make the NHL, but he won't live up to the Feaster "best player in 10 years" proclamations, which is pretty obvious by now. But by no means should his name be crossed off the list of prospects as of yet.

Hard to tell how good he can really be offensively because Providence is a defence first team, he's really good at faceoffs and very good defensively though. If he can be a 3rd line shut down center then the Flames are happy with Bennett and Monahan as 1 & 2.

My only question is, will he pass Max Reinhart first? If we're talking about a potential bottom-6 defensive centre, it's pretty obvious he'll have to surpass the likes of Jooris, Granlund, Reinhart, Stajan, and others, just to name a few even though some will undoubtedly be moved onto wing to accommodate better centres, or moved to another team outright.

I don't see him as an NHL regular until age 22 or 23, but I really wonder at times if the Flames even have room for him. I still want to take the time to develop him slowly and properly and hope that he has the patience and devotion to the game and his career to do the same, but that's still quite a ways away for just a "promise" of a professional career one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad