C Mark Jankowski - Providence College, NCAA (2012, 21st, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
6'2 175 center who is playing at Stanstead college ... slated as a 2nd rounder ....

games:50 goals:48 assists:36 points:84 +/-:+48

has anyone seen him play? what can you tell me about him?

romao

May 18, 2010
Kharkiv
From today's chat with Craig Button:
Mark Jankowski is an interesting player and obviously a unique story. He has grown to 6'3" from about 5'9" in just under 2 years so was under the radar so to speak. He has excellent skill in all regards. Skating is fast, quick and agile. He has great hands & great vision and awareness & is able to make plays that very few can. He has an ease to his game yet is very determined and competitive. I know there is lots of questions about where he plays but that is of no concern to me because I have seen many players star in the NHL that came out of similar situations. To name a few, Bob Carpenter, Tom Barrasso, Phil Housley, Brian Leetch, Jeremy Roenick and Keith Tkachuk. I think Mark has so much more room to grow as a player & as I have watched him, I have not seen anything that makes me believe that he isn't a very good NHL prospect and I will say it now, he may be as good a player in time as any in the draft.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
6'2 175 center who is playing at Stanstead college ... slated as a 2nd rounder ....

games:50 goals:48 assists:36 points:84 +/-:+48

has anyone seen him play? what can you tell me about him?

He is a very smooth skater who is not afraid to get physical. He has a deadly accurate shot that consistently seems to find the inside of the post. There was another player who came out of Stanstead a few years ago, Danny Hobbes who was drafted by the Rangers.. This kid is bigger and 10x's better. He stands 6'2" and has a reach that is one of the longest I've seen in some time. He needs to fill out but he's another that I wonder if he has another couple of inches of growth in him.

Stanstead has a unique program in that it attracts a lot of Americans - Jankowski is Ontarian, though.

A guy I played hockey with way, way back in the day was the coach there for years. He's coaching in Switzerland now. Stanstead built a new facility that it named for Magog's favorite son, Pat Burns.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
I was in Stanstead last year for a weekend and had no clue they had a hockey program there. (was not there for hockey) Obviously i dont follow that league closely, Jankowski seems like a very intriguing prospect with size and skill.

He's commited to Providence College (HE) for next year. I dont think he's drafted by a OHL team wich would make him a free agent at the ohl level (maybe even chl level). Im sure some team will give him a call before/after the nhl draft.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I saw him while skimming over one of Button's lists I think and was intrigued by the fact that there was a legitimate player playing in a Canadian prep school.
He's one of a couple really intriguing sleepers playing in lower level Canadian leagues.
I watched a couple of his games at the end of January and really liked what I saw; he has everything you look for in center and seems pretty dedicated to not only scoring but being a complete player.

Apparently every NHL team had scouts in attendance for the MPHL (Mid-West Prep Hockey League) playoff tournament in St. Catharines at Ridley College near the trade deadline and one would assume they were there to watch him specifically (can't think of any other prospects there that NHL scouts would be interested in).

The only concern I have is that he's committed to a mediocre Providence program, but maybe they're turning the corner.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
it is refreshing to have a nugget found by a scout that doesn't just reshuffle the deck. Hats off to Button.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
I saw him while skimming over one of Button's lists I think and was intrigued by the fact that there was a legitimate player playing in a Canadian prep school.
He's one of a couple really intriguing sleepers playing in lower level Canadian leagues.
I watched a couple of his games at the end of January and really liked what I saw; he has everything you look for in center and seems pretty dedicated to not only scoring but being a complete player.

Apparently every NHL team had scouts in attendance for the MPHL (Mid-West Prep Hockey League) playoff tournament in St. Catharines at Ridley College near the trade deadline and one would assume they were there to watch him specifically (can't think of any other prospects there that NHL scouts would be interested in).

The only concern I have is that he's committed to a mediocre Providence program, but maybe they're turning the corner.

I was at that tournament as well and was impressed with the overall level of play. If this league continues to attract good players - from what I understand money, therefore, "inducement" is an issue at a lot of these schools - they could approach the overall lever of play of the New England League.

How about that Ridley campus though, eh?

Last edited:

joe6pack

Oct 2, 2005
He is an interesting prospect who is getting a long look by many scouts. He is storming up the rankings and is now a legit late first rounder. It looks like he still is growing into his body and is projected to be a skilled big center. It will be interesting to see how early he is picked.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hock...22/nhl-draft-april-red-line-report/54474130/1

Late last month, Red Line's chief scout and Boston area scout attended the Beantown Spring Classic showcase event to review the top New England prospects, but more important to get several more viewings on draft wild card Mark Jankowski.

Much like Shore, the only thing holding Jankowski back from a very high ranking is the difficulty involved in projecting players who have performed at the very lowest competition levels. Jankowski, whose family is from the Toronto area, spent this season at Stanstead College, essentially a college prep school in Quebec's Eastern Townships region, in preparation for entering Providence College next season.

Stanstead's level of competition is so low it doesn't even register on the meter, so not surprisingly, Jankowski is the rawest of raw products in this draft. Playing against some reasonable competition at the Beantown, it was clear that he has the skills to translate to the next level. Where his inexperience shows up is that he doesn't understand positioning or what it takes to compete hard every shift.

As a Sept. 13 birthday, he's one of the youngest players available this year, and that plays in his favor since he presumably has even more development left in him than most others in this class. And already has a lean, projectable frame at 6-2, 175 pounds, to go along with superb natural athleticism and balance.

Given how few skilled forwards there are in this year's crop, someone is going to take a chance on him — and we suspect quite high. Given that his uncle is former New York Islanders chief scout and current Montreal talent hound Ryan Jankowski, we think it's a fair bet the Canadiens will gamble one of their two second-round picks on him. Given the kid's outstanding skating ability and super soft, quick hands, it will be a good gamble.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Posted this a few days ago over on the Sabres board, but seeing that this thread was bumped for the Redline Report article, here's another piece on Mark Jankowski from Thursday's Montreal Gazette:
"It was my size, I was only 5-fot-8 or 5-foot-9," said Jankowski, a Stanstead College senior whose stock has risen to the point where TSN analyst Craig Button believes he should be a first-round pick in the National Hockey League entry draft.

While the Central Scouting Service ranks Jankowski 43rd among North American skaters, the latest Craig's List has him rated 15th overall.

"He reminds me of John LeClair," Button said from the Czech Republic, where he is covering the world under-18 championship for TSN. "I talked to people in the OHL and they liked his skill set, but he was 5-foot-8. Since then, he's gone through a growth spurt where he's gained six or seven inches in 18 months, and I think he's still growing."
"There was no denying his skill set, but he's a much more confident player now," Rioux said. "His size and reach are big assets. He's a two-way player who's good in his own zone. He's one of the best distributors of the puck I've seen, so he does make his teammates better. He's very unselfish, but he can also put the puck in the net."
Jankowski has a number of decisions to make over the next three months. He has made a commitment to play at Providence College, but he may delay his enrolment for a year and play either in the United States Hockey League or the British Columbia Hockey League.

"I think if I went to Providece right away I could play, but if I took that extra year I'll be more effective," he said. "You can never go too late, but some people go too early."

More than 25 schools expressed an interest in Jankowski, but he selected Providence because he was impressed with coach Nate Leaman, who was coaching at Union College in Schenectady, N.Y., when he first contacted Jankowski.

"What he did at Union was amazing," Jankowski said.

"He brought that program from nothing and they were in the Frozen Four this year. He went to Providence, and he's doing the same thing there."

But Jankowski is also aware he might have to make a decision if he is a firstround NHL draft choice.

"Obviously, the NHL team would have a say in what they want, but ultimately it would be up to me and my family to see what's going to be best for me," Jankowski said. "But if they think something would be better for me, I'd take that into consideration."
One thing that's certain is that Jankowski has more work to do before he's ready for the NHL. While he has grown in stature, he weighs only 170 pounds.

This summer, he'll be training with Richard Clark at the Athlete Training Centre in Toronto. Clark also works with the likes of P.K. Subban, Matt Moulson and John Tavares.

lggy

May 20, 2010
Vancouver
Does anyone think it would be absurd for him to be taken in the first round? More specifically @14th, if it appears the talent left isn't that great.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Does anyone think it would be absurd for him to be taken in the first round? More specifically @14th, if it appears the talent left isn't that great.
No, don't think there's a chance that he climbs to 14 but I think he's had a shot at being taken towards the end of the first round for some time now.

Last edited:

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary

For a while I was hoping that he'd be around after the Flames picked at 14. If Faksa, and Teravainen aren't available, and the Flames took him, I wouldn't mind.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
This is the kind of player I could see the Caps taking with the later of their two 1st round picks (#16). He's going to need some time since he's still growing and filling out and going to be taking a huge leap in competition wherever he goes next. But when you've already got another high-ish 1st round pick (#11) in which to grab a more developmentally progressed player, you can take a flier on this kind of really interesting prospect.

I really like guys who grow late in any sport. They have to spend a lot of their formative years learning how to compete as a small guy, then suddenly they're a big guy with small guy skills.

You have to love his pedigree too. Grandson of an 18-yr NHL veteran and great-nephew of Red Kelly. Dad played college hockey at Cornell too.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

It wouldn't be absurd at all. All it takes is one team to fall in love with him and judging from his skillset, that's not impossible by any stretch.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta

i'd guess an already contending team like Pittsburgh or St. Louis or the Rangers could take a chance on him.....

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
He was just taken 11th overall by Dubuque in the USHL Draft.
He's considering spending a year in the BCHL or USHL, but I haven't seen any concrete decision yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad