C/W Marat Khusnutdinov (2020, 37th, MIN)

gusev nikita

Apr 27, 2020
moscow
Marat Khusnutdinov (LC, Russia, SKA-1946 St. Petersburg MHL)

TOTAL: 2
HIGHEST: 28
LOWEST: 29
AVERAGE: 29
MOST COMMON: 2 Tied (1)
SELECTION RECAP: Vegas (1 — 28), Washington (1 — 29)
ANALYSIS: Khusnutdinov rounds out that group of six prospects who were selected twice over 10 scenarios for the first round. Khusnutdinov has the Russian factor working against him, but he came on strong as the draft year progressed — displaying more creativity as he gained confidence.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-mock-draft-reviewing-first-round-scenarios-for-prospects/

gusev nikita

Apr 27, 2020
moscow
“Thoughts on Khusnutdinov? Would he be a good fit the Wild with their second first-rounder?”

Continued: “…especially given their overall lack of depth at center?”
Question from Justin on Twitter
The Minnesota Wild lack a whole lot of skill up front in their system after Kaprill Kaprizov, Matthew Boldy, and Adam Beckman. Adding to that: they are all wingers. The Wild have Alexander Khovanov and Damien Giroux as centremen but really lack in that high-end skill down the middle (you could make an argument that Khovanov is right there though). Marat Khusnutdinov could start to fill that void.
Related: Marat Khusnutdinov – 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Profile
On top of his high skill level, Khusnutdinov brings an extremely high compete level to his game. He never takes his foot off the gas pedal. From the prospect profile above, written by me:
“If he has the puck, he’s aggressive, forcing his way to the net or to an open spot. Without the puck, he’s on a mission to get it back. He plays hard at both ends, blocking pucks, and his forechecking might be among the best in this class… He has a good top speed and excellent edges as well, making him very dangerous…
“Khusnutdinov has incredible vision and hockey sense, able to find his teammates across the offensive zone for an assist or drive to the net for a slick goal. He’s got an incredible shot which he can fire quickly, beating goaltenders before they know the shot’s off.”
With the Wild’s second first rounder, the young star could be and should very much be on their radar.

https://thehockeywriters.com/bells-2020-nhl-draft-mailbag-mysak-farrell-foerster/

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
“Thoughts on Khusnutdinov? Would he be a good fit the Wild with their second first-rounder?”

Continued: “…especially given their overall lack of depth at center?”
Question from Justin on Twitter
The Minnesota Wild lack a whole lot of skill up front in their system after Kaprill Kaprizov, Matthew Boldy, and Adam Beckman. Adding to that: they are all wingers. The Wild have Alexander Khovanov and Damien Giroux as centremen but really lack in that high-end skill down the middle (you could make an argument that Khovanov is right there though). Marat Khusnutdinov could start to fill that void.
Related: Marat Khusnutdinov – 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Profile
On top of his high skill level, Khusnutdinov brings an extremely high compete level to his game. He never takes his foot off the gas pedal. From the prospect profile above, written by me:
“If he has the puck, he’s aggressive, forcing his way to the net or to an open spot. Without the puck, he’s on a mission to get it back. He plays hard at both ends, blocking pucks, and his forechecking might be among the best in this class… He has a good top speed and excellent edges as well, making him very dangerous…
“Khusnutdinov has incredible vision and hockey sense, able to find his teammates across the offensive zone for an assist or drive to the net for a slick goal. He’s got an incredible shot which he can fire quickly, beating goaltenders before they know the shot’s off.”
With the Wild’s second first rounder, the young star could be and should very much be on their radar.

https://thehockeywriters.com/bells-2020-nhl-draft-mailbag-mysak-farrell-foerster/
The wild are a team I could see doing it. With Kapri coming they may want to appease him and get him some Russian friends. I think Amirov would be better at their pick but maybe not on the board

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe for the Wild at #25, but there are a whole lot of other C's that might be available, such as Perrault, Bourque, Lapierre, Brisson, among others. Khusnutdinov is probably three years away at least from being able to play in the NHL, so getting a Russian speaker to ease Kaprizov's transition into the league is not a consideration. Khovanov will be along sooner rather than later, and maybe Firstov/Lodnia/Svetlakov/Sokolov.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Finally got to watch this kid for the first time. I think he's full of talent. Reminds me alot of kuznetsov in his draft year with the combination of playing at a very high pace and full of creative ability and actual hockey sense (unlike alot of smaller high skill guys that don't pan out). I definitely would not be unhappy if my team (referencing anybody) took him in the late 1st, i think their is a ton of upside and after watching him and amirov.....I'll take this kid over amirov all day. Obviously i've seen a very small sample size of both but i felt i saw what i needed to see to believe that.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Listed as 5'11 175 in McKeens. Haven't seen him listed that tall elsewhere. This could change things a lot if true.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe for the Wild at #25, but there are a whole lot of other C's that might be available, such as Perrault, Bourque, Lapierre, Brisson, among others. Khusnutdinov is probably three years away at least from being able to play in the NHL, so getting a Russian speaker to ease Kaprizov's transition into the league is not a consideration. Khovanov will be along sooner rather than later, and maybe Firstov/Lodnia/Svetlakov/Sokolov.

I'd say Khusnutdinov is on the same tier as those guys, and has a better shot at sticking at center because he's good at everything. There really aren't many definite centers after the top fifteen or so picks. Perreault seems more like a quick strike sniper than an all-around player that could play center. Bourque isn't quick enough for his size. Lapierre is definitely a center but has more bust potential. Brisson I think also might not make it but I haven't seen much on him. Khusnutdinov will take a while to make it to the NHL but I don't see anyone from pick 25 making a difference in the NHL over the next three years.

gusev nikita

Apr 27, 2020
moscow
  1. VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS – MARAT KHUSNUTDINOV, C, SKA-1946 ST. PETERSBURG (MHL)
28. Wagman: A polarizing player, Khusnutdinov has the offensive tools to suggest a top six future, but he is still raw and unrefined off the puck, in turn suggesting a long gap between what he is today and what he could be. Vegas has made a habit of betting on upside, and the expansion team has not been shy about drafting Russian talent in the early rounds making the skilled center a good fit late in the first.

McKEEN’S 2020 NHL DRAFT GUIDE – TWO ROUND MOCK DRAFT

By Ryan Wagman and Brock Otten On May 31, 2020

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad