C/LW Zemgus Girgensons (2012, 14th overall, Buffalo)

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Attitude problems????? He is the epitome of a team first player. His teammates and the fans have the utmost respect for him. You either made a troll comment or you have him confused with another player......I hope he is still around for the hawks to draft. I would even trade up for him

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sabres have to be giving him heavy consideration at 12.

Yep. He has a lot of what they need in a prospect pivot -- size, skill, and physical play. Nothing I've read or seen anywhere has anything bad to say about his character or attitude -- all top notch and very much the kind of kid you want as a teammate from everything I've seen/heard/watched.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I like the sound of Girgensons and would love the Habs to draft him (would require a trade down). I could see him sneaking into the top 10. Habs scout the USHL pretty well, so they'll know if they like him or not.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I like the sound of Girgensons and would love the Habs to draft him (would require a trade down). I could see him sneaking into the top 10. Habs scout the USHL pretty well, so they'll know if they like him or not.

Oh god anywhere but the Habs,it`s a gruesome place to play in,because if you make a mistake fans will run you into the ground,it takes alot of nerves to play in montreal.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
His skating seems sluggish especially with the puck. Still, I would take him top 15. Hard to judge players in that league. Would have been better if he was in junior or college this past season.

IkeaMonkey*

His skating seems sluggish especially with the puck. Still, I would take him top 15. Hard to judge players in that league. Would have been better if he was in junior or college this past season.

Funny, his skating with the puck is probably his best offensive attribute.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Funny, his skating with the puck is probably his best offensive attribute.

So many contradictions first one guy comes in says Girgensons has bad attitude,than the other says hes slow with the puck.Have you guys even seen him play or are you just pulling all of this out your ass?

IkeaMonkey*

So many contradictions first one guy comes in says Girgensons has bad attitude,than the other says hes slow with the puck.Have you guys even seen him play or are you just pulling all of this out your ass?

To me, the biggest knock on the kid is his shot selection. He doesn't have great accuracy or velocity. I also am "concerned" about his durability, but the injuries have been pretty freak, so I don't know. I like that he plays with Ovechkin's intensity, but I don't know if he's built for it.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
To me, the biggest knock on the kid is his shot selection. He doesn't have great accuracy or velocity. I also am "concerned" about his durability, but the injuries have been pretty freak, so I don't know. I like that he plays with Ovechkin's intensity, but I don't know if he's built for it.

So how would you rank him in the draft?

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
Same language,are you ****ing kidding me? Latvian is nowehere close the russian language,jesus ****ing christ man!

Haha I totally agree.

Just because Riga has a KHL team, doesn't mean Girgensons is going to run away to play there.

IkeaMonkey*

So how would you rank him in the draft?

Best USHL forward, including the NTDP players.
In the 12-15 area.
I think he has solid 50-60 pt potential, in terms of 20/40 g/a, but with a great physical two-way prescence. Some see 60 pts in the first round as "not good enough", I think it's just fine.

As a Caps fan, I wouldn't be overly happy with him at #11, but would be if we got him at #16.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Best USHL forward, including the NTDP players.
In the 12-15 area.
I think he has solid 50-60 pt potential, in terms of 20/40 g/a, but with a great physical two-way prescence. Some see 60 pts in the first round as "not good enough", I think it's just fine.

As a Caps fan, I wouldn't be overly happy with him at #11, but would be if we got him at #16.

I hear theres alot of people mentioning Buffalo Sabres or Dallas might take him.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
So we agree they have the same language ;)

Educated Latvians usually speak at least 3 languages.

The fact that 80% of us speak English or Russian as a foreign language is completely unrelated to the things that sometimes are attributed to Russian players.

We're not Russian, Eastern European or Slavic or whatever the hell your half-racist prejudices are.

We're culturally Northern European, Protestant and a very important part of our mentality is work ethic.

Every single Latvian NHL player has not been a gem, a world class talent that had the things going easy for him. OzoliņÅ¡, Irbe, Žoltoks, SkrastiņÅ¡ and everyone else have worked their way in the NHL with hard work, sweat and blood and Girgensons is no exception.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i'd certainly take a good look at him at 15 with the sens. Unfortunately, our D cupboards are bare and our F cupboards are full, so all things equal the sens would probably take a dman they like over him.

I'm not worried about the KHL factor with him, but i wouldnt dismiss it just because he came to the US. The draw of more money and playing close to home can be enough for anyone to accept a worse job, and hockey is no different.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
Despite the fact that my Sharks are stacked at center, Girgensons is the guy I hope they take at 17 if he's still there. The way I see it, the guy is probably 3 years away from being an NHL regular anyway, and by then one of Marleau or Thornton will be gone and both will be much worse players. He'd be a great future second-line center behind Couture for SJ.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Educated Latvians usually speak at least 3 languages.

The fact that 80% of us speak English or Russian as a foreign language is completely unrelated to the things that sometimes are attributed to Russian players.

We're not Russian, Eastern European or Slavic or whatever the hell your half-racist prejudices are.

We're culturally Northern European, Protestant and a very important part of our mentality is work ethic.

Every single Latvian NHL player has not been a gem, a world class talent that had the things going easy for him. Ozoliņš, Irbe, Žoltoks, Skrastiņš and everyone else have worked their way in the NHL with hard work, sweat and blood and Girgensons is no exception.

Ozolins and Irbe were not world class talents?i`m sorry but thats just wrong.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
My opinion is based on several videos available on the net. Skating in that league isnt the same as in more competitive leagues. And speed is different with/without puck. Nothing wrong with having a different opinion than people who just copy & paste the same thing over & over.

IkeaMonkey*

My opinion is based on several videos available on the net. Skating in that league isnt the same as in more competitive leagues. And speed is different with/without puck. Nothing wrong with having a different opinion than people who just copy & paste the same thing over & over.

As a follower of "that league", I find it very interesting observation. Now that I know it's an observation based on "video" it makes a lot more sense.

MagicSlap*

Not sure why the KHL factor is being brought up with this guy. He's already been in the U.S. for a few years now and is going to U of Vermont. He wants to play in the NHL.

IkeaMonkey*

Not sure why the KHL factor is being brought up with this guy. He's already been in the U.S. for a few years now and is going to U of Vermont. He wants to play in the NHL.

Seriously.

If anything, there should be a "CHL Factor"...

For fans of the Catamounts...

OutdoorJoe

Apr 15, 2012
Having seen every single home game, and about a dozen away games Zemgus has played in for the last two years the only thing I can say is alot of the comments on this board are just laughable and dont even command a response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad