C/LW William Eklund - San Jose Sharks, NHL (2021, 7th, SJS)

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
He has developed an actual consistent shot? His trademarks were elite transition game and offensive zone playmaking and now this too? Gonna(he was already fun when he was playing up tho) be a treat when he gets called up.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He has developed an actual consistent shot? His trademarks were elite transition game and offensive zone playmaking and now this too? Gonna(he was already fun when he was playing up tho) be a treat when he gets called up.
I think his main thing is he is just shooting the puck more often, and is playing with some good playmakers such as Bordeleau on the PP.

Depending on the severity of Couture's injury right now, maybe he gets a call up at some point soon, but I think he won't be up until after the trade deadline (barring other major injuries)

If he does get called up and gets the chance to play with a volume shooter like Meier, he could rack up a ton of points.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I think his main thing is he is just shooting the puck more often, and is playing with some good playmakers such as Bordeleau on the PP.

Depending on the severity of Couture's injury right now, maybe he gets a call up at some point soon, but I think he won't be up until after the trade deadline (barring other major injuries)

If he does get called up and gets the chance to play with a volume shooter like Meier, he could rack up a ton of points.
Considering a single game would burn a full year of ELC for Eklund, do you think Sharks management is considering this as a reason against calling him up? With Bordeleau currently already burning through his ELC, maybe they opt to call him up instead... especially considering he might already be the best playmaker on the Cuda. What are your thoughts?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Considering a single game would burn a full year of ELC for Eklund, do you think Sharks management is considering this as a reason against calling him up? With Bordeleau currently already burning through his ELC, maybe they opt to call him up instead... especially considering he might already be the best playmaker on the Cuda. What are your thoughts?
Burning an ELC year is pretty meaningless unless the player is a bonafide superstar. If anything, reaching RFA status sooner on a good but not elite player is better because you can lock them up long-term sooner and potentially get a bargain throughout the prime of the player’s career. I don’t think that the Sharks will base their decision to call up or not call up Eklund on his contract status.

I said this at the beginning of the season but unless Eklund (or Bordeleau) is setting the AHL on absolute fire, they should remain on the Barracuda for the full year. Eklund in particular has had a rough couple of years with regards to injury and illness, and the best thing for his development at this time and in my opinion is to have stability and consistent playing time. Jumping between the AHL and NHL, fluctuating ice time and quality of linemates and opposition, these things can only hurt him. Once he gets a strong full year in North America under his belt, which he’s well on his way to doing, then you have more flexibility with how to handle him. I fully expect him to be a middle-six scoring winger on the Sharks next season and stay in the NHL the whole time.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
The poster you quoted is obsessed with getting Meier to the Devils, which would include sending Holtz to the Sharks.

Eklund has answered all the questions I had about him coming into the year. Incredibly excited to see him on the Sharks full-time next season.
What were your concerns ?

OTB

Dec 18, 2013
Really like this kid. I'm not quite sure what is is points/game projection at this stage but surely Sharks fans will love him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad