C/LW William Eklund - San Jose Sharks, NHL (2021, 7th, SJS)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Anyone have insight into the underwhelming offensive stats Eklund is posting this season?

I assume he isn't getting top minutes, but I'd still have figured he'd do better even with third line minutes as that implies he's playing inferior players, too.
Bad team, they also probably shouldn't have bothered bringing him over just to send him back. Kid needs to focus on off-ice training imo, has to get stronger. If he could absorb a hit and shield the puck he'd be a lot more effective. Winds up on the perimeter far too much in SHL, where he can thread some nice passes but that's part of why he hasn't scored more goals.

Reactions: JBeast

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
arguably should've been on the roster this year. but I get why they sent him back.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Is Eklund making the Sharks roster next year? There can't be much competition, right
I would be very, very surprised if Eklund was not on the Sharks’ roster next season. He was very close to being kept this season, and there was a huge backlash amongst Sharks players (Karlsson, Couture, Hertl, Dahlen, etc.) when he was sent back to Sweden.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Will finish his season in Sweden playing J20 semis + either GMG, or BMG, this weekend. Öhgren - Östlund - Eklund anybody?

Expecting the GMG to be between Djurgården, & Örebro.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Raymond’s D+1 SHL production was pretty modest and he’ll be a Calder finalist this year.

If you’re an Eklund fan I wouldn’t let the numbers in isolation discourage you.
He shouldn't have been sent back anyway, then had to play on a poor team (didn't even get to play on PP1) and dealt with injuries. He will most likely be Tomas Hertl's LW next year so that should be exciting.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Only 9 points in 15 games? For a 7th overall pick that production seems bit disappointing. Had disappointing production last season too in SHL. Are there any concerns about him?

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Only 9 points in 15 games? For a 7th overall pick that production seems bit disappointing. Had disappointing production last season too in SHL. Are there any concerns about him?
Definitely starting to look like more of a 2nd/3rd line tweener type player if he makes it at all.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
No I actually think they shouldn’t have brought him over to North America last year at all. He ended up having a very disjointed season that probably didn’t help with his development.

Exactly. Last minute they changed their mind and brought him over for camp, that was the first mistake. The second was to send him back once they had brought him over. They really f***ed up his d+1 season

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No not really. Last season was very stop start for him and this year is just him regaining his confidence. I think you’ll see his production pick up here soon.

He’s also still only 20 and really in his first season in NA.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
9 points in 15 games is a solid start for a 20 year old getting his first taste of AHL hockey. Also, he’s tied for 2nd in scoring on the Barracuda (and just 2 points behind 1st), nobody is tearing it up on that team.

Also worth noting, he started slow, but has been heating up, is currently on a 3-game point streak (2G/3A/+3 over the last 3 games). Let’s see where he’s at by the end of the season before passing any hot-take judgements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad