C/LW Matthew Beniers - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021, 2nd, SEA)

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Not his best game, but the entire Michigan team didn't have a great showing. I like Benier's game better than Johnson from what I've seen, though still time for that opinion to change. I see Benier's closest comparable as a Bo Horvat.

I think that's a solid comparison, and I actually meant to include Horvat in my earlier post.

I also prefer Beniers to Johnson so far. Despite a costly turnover, I thought Beniers was probably the most engaged of the three main draft eligibles (Beniers, Johnson, Power) for Michigan tonight.

The skill is evident with Kent Johnson, but he's still adjusting to a much higher level of competition than the BCHL. His game by its nature is a bit more peripheral, and due to the strength of Michigan's roster he doesn't necessarily get the minutes/powerplay opportunities that he likely would in other leagues, although Michigan does rotate all four of its lines pretty evenly. That said, I credit him for taking the NCAA route. He'd probably shine more against CHL defensemen, but I think that the competition he'll face in the NCAA will prepare him better for NHL hockey.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
That said, I credit him for taking the NCAA route. He'd probably shine more against CHL defensemen, but I think that the competition he'll face in the NCAA will prepare him better for NHL hockey.[/QUOTE]

Curious why you feel that the competition he will face in the NCAA will prepare him better for the NHL?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pronman name dropped 9 players in the article, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much that Beniers is going 1OA.

I think his larger point was that no one knows yet whose going to go 1OA, so all the early first round range prospects will battle it out for the first spot.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Curious why you feel that the competition he will face in the NCAA will prepare him better for the NHL?

Well the CHL is certainly a good developmental league, its record speaks for itself. For Johnson specifically though, I think the NCAA has two main advantages.

1) By playing against better defenseman in his draft year, a skill-based, peripheral player like Johnson is going to have to round out his game and build better habits. If you look at guys like Perfetti or Rossi, I think skilled players in the CHL often get away with a lot that doesn't translate up to higher leagues. Not to say that they won't be good NHL players, but I think the NCAA gives you a clearer image of how a player will look in the NHL.

2) The NCAA gives Johnson more flexibility in his D+2 year. I'm assuming Johnson will play at Michigan again next year. The following year, he can either play a third year at Michigan, move to the AHL, or step up into the NHL. If he took the CHL route, it'd be CHL or NHL for his D+2 year, and I think for some players that's an awkward spot to find themselves.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Well the CHL is certainly a good developmental league, its record speaks for itself. For Johnson specifically though, I think the NCAA has two main advantages.

1) By playing against better defenseman in his draft year, a skill-based, peripheral player like Johnson is going to have to round out his game and build better habits. If you look at guys like Perfetti or Rossi, I think skilled players in the CHL often get away with a lot that doesn't translate up to higher leagues. Not to say that they won't be good NHL players, but I think the NCAA gives you a clearer image of how a player will look in the NHL.

2) The NCAA gives Johnson more flexibility in his D+2 year. I'm assuming Johnson will play at Michigan again next year. The following year, he can either play a third year at Michigan, move to the AHL, or step up into the NHL. If he took the CHL route, it'd be CHL or NHL for his D+2 year, and I think for some players that's an awkward spot to find themselves.

3) He's 6'1 at 165 lbs and NCAA gives him the time and better resources to bulk up

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kind of an obvious point, but one that never seems to be mentioned. College works better for young men who don't mind going to class. You can learn something at a great school like Michigan, and get connections for life. If you are at all open to getting a post secondary education, then you owe it to yourself to go the college route.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Actually Johnson would be eligible for the AHL in his D+2 even if he went the CHL route since he's a late birthday. He will be 20 in his d2 season.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Was very impressive. He, Boldy, and Caufield’s line felt like they had Finland hemmed in their own end most of the game.

watching him continue to fly around and be a nightmare for the opposition late in the third was entertaining as hell.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Was very impressive. He, Boldy, and Caufield’s line felt like they had Finland hemmed in their own end most of the game.

watching him continue to fly around and be a nightmare for the opposition late in the third was entertaining as hell.

Who was centering that line Boldy or Beniers?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Mod: can be updated to University of Michigan

Certainly did a nice job in his first game with USA U20.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
That said, I credit him for taking the NCAA route. He'd probably shine more against CHL defensemen, but I think that the competition he'll face in the NCAA will prepare him better for NHL hockey.

Curious why you feel that the competition he will face in the NCAA will prepare him better for the NHL?[/QUOTE]

I would assume his reasoning has something to do with the NCAA playing a more structured style of hockey and the competition being against older players.

there’s a reason why 1 in 3 NHL’ers played college hockey at some point nowadays.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Quite the motor to be doing that at the tail end of a shift.

I have no idea how he has the legs to do that so late in the shift. Very impressive. Most guys would've probably coughed up the puck under that type of pressure.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His size and reach will be a bonus to his obvious skill, drive, and IQ. He is definitely in the top 7-8 or so for the draft as of now, and I wouldn't write him off as a possible #1 he keeps playing the way he is.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad