C/LW Matthew Beniers - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021, 2nd, SEA)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Beniers is heading to Michigan because the Ivy League won’t play until. Michigan got him because they luckily had scholarship $ and other teams didn’t at this point so late I the season. Not sure Michigan gets credit for that one.

Do you have any inside info on that one? I don't know myself, but I suspect that a large part of when these players switch schools has to do with their initial recruitment. I would not be surprised if Michigan was among the top candidates initially. You have to give them credit for their initial scouting of him to recruit him, if they initially recruited him.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Found this regarding the latest with Beniers & Michigan....

"Beniers, a late ’02 who is projected to be a top-10 pick in the 2021 NHL draft, was coveted by every major program in New England during the recruiting process. When he opened his recruitment back up earlier this month, Boston College, Providence, Michigan and Notre Dame were the programs with mutual interest.

According to sources, the Eagles didn’t have scholarship room, whereas the Wolverines were able to make room for Beniers, a left-shot center. Michigan assistant coach Kris Mayotte had a previous relationship with Beniers from when he was on Nate Leaman’s staff at Providence. That certainly helped land Beniers, who played the past two seasons with USA Hockey’s NTDP."

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Pending a season, Michigan is going to be absolutely stacked.
Don't forget everyone said that about the Wisconsin team that finished 7th this year. Though this team arguably looks better on paper... getting the talent is one thing. Getting them on the same page and flying against six other pretty good teams four times a year is another. Then you have all the craziness of this year... it'll be interesting, for sure. The returning core at Michigan is pretty young as is.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Don't forget everyone said that about the Wisconsin team that finished 7th this year. Though this team arguably looks better on paper... getting the talent is one thing. Getting them on the same page and flying against six other pretty good teams four times a year is another. Then you have all the craziness of this year... it'll be interesting, for sure. The returning core at Michigan is pretty young as is.

Yup. Michigan would be a lot of fun to watch but it doesn't mean they'll be a good team relying on so many young players. Their upperclassmen are really weak next year.

Reactions: tealhockey

goavsblue8

Aug 1, 2020
Yup. Michigan would be a lot of fun to watch but it doesn't mean they'll be a good team relying on so many young players. Their upperclassmen are really weak next year.

True but there are two major differences between Wisconsin and UM

1. UM has an elite upper class goalie(Strauss mann) while Wisconsin had horrendous goaltending. That can really cover up for some of the defensive mistakes young guys tend to make.
2. Mel Pearson in his college HC career has shown significantly more coaching chops than Granato

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Star studded lineups never work in NCAA hockey. Great you get the 5 star recruit but he plays one or two seasons at best and leaves which throws a wrench into recruiting as you have to know how many spots you have and $$$. The window is tiny to win this way as you basically rebuild roster every 2 years. It flat out has never worked.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
True but there are two major differences between Wisconsin and UM

1. UM has an elite upper class goalie(Strauss mann) while Wisconsin had horrendous goaltending. That can really cover up for some of the defensive mistakes young guys tend to make.
2. Mel Pearson in his college HC career has shown significantly more coaching chops than Granato
I agree, every situation is different. Just because one team depending on young stars finished 7 out of 7 in (granted a pretty competitive conference) doesn't mean another will do the same. I think the primary differences here are that Michigan not only has the goaltending returning but coming in the form of Erik Portillo. Then you have actually a bit more star power coming in than Wisconsin did.

Working against them IMO is that Michigan will have a younger, less predictable core especially considering the fact that where Wisconsin had just one draft-eligible, Michigan might be depending heavily on three. Taking the optimistic view, it seems like Michigan has more talent on paper, but like @OldScool said, these things rarely play out as they do on paper. Most people saw Michigan State as an also-ran in the Big Ten last year and they put together a very respectable season.

Reactions: William H Bonney

goavsblue8

Aug 1, 2020
I agree, every situation is different. Just because one team depending on young stars finished 7 out of 7 in (granted a pretty competitive conference) doesn't mean another will do the same. I think the primary differences here are that Michigan not only has the goaltending returning but coming in the form of Erik Portillo. Then you have actually a bit more star power coming in than Wisconsin did.

Working against them IMO is that Michigan will have a younger, less predictable core especially considering the fact that where Wisconsin had just one draft-eligible, Michigan might be depending heavily on three. Taking the optimistic view, it seems like Michigan has more talent on paper, but like @OldScool said, these things rarely play out as they do on paper. Most people saw Michigan State as an also-ran in the Big Ten last year and they put together a very respectable season.

It will be interesting to see, a lot of times it takes these young guys the first 1/3 to half of the season to get adjusted to college hockey and obviously that may not happen with a season that may be conference only and start in January. You saw that play out last year with cam York and John Beecher and when they got their bearing is when um started to get hot. BTW the Portillo situation will be very interesting to follow, obviously a prospect like him is going want and need ice time but it is going be hard to get much time behind a goalie as good as Mann(much more difficult than getting time for the various stud forwards um has).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Still for a guy like Beniers is it better to be the big fish in the small pond or just another top guy on a top team.

If he is good enough it will not matter I guess.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
It will be interesting to see, a lot of times it takes these young guys the first 1/3 to half of the season to get adjusted to college hockey and obviously that may not happen with a season that may be conference only and start in January. You saw that play out last year with cam York and John Beecher and when they got their bearing is when um started to get hot. BTW the Portillo situation will be very interesting to follow, obviously a prospect like him is going want and need ice time but it is going be hard to get much time behind a goalie as good as Mann(much more difficult than getting time for the various stud forwards um has).
Yeah, Strauss really broke out this year, maybe he will do even better sharing the load. I'm sure Portillo will get time

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Still for a guy like Beniers is it better to be the big fish in the small pond or just another top guy on a top team.

If he is good enough it will not matter I guess.
I think he's a good player, but people always seem to under-estimate the difficulty of the jump that players are making going to college. I thought the ECAC was perfect for him especially in his draft year. The Big Ten is really a different beast

Reactions: wetcoast

goavsblue8

Aug 1, 2020
#12 Michigan up 6-0 on #15 Arizona St.....this team is gonna be special

This is just wreckage, for those that think this will be like wisconsin last year........As I said in some other threads, Mel Pearson can coach, this team is more talented than Wisconsin last year, and has an ELITE goalie.

Reactions: Martinez

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
His skating looks improved and his trademark work ethic is still on display at Michigan. He's had a very strong start to his NCAA career and he's doing it at center thus far, which is a big bonus. The late '02 birth year is very strong but Beniers certainly looks like an easy top 10 guy right now.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah it's early but he is pushing top-5 for me.

Just looks like such a complete player who has everything you need to be a high impact center in the NHL

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
Honestly still way too early but I think I'd have him third right now behind Power and Clarke. He is such a complete center and is showing great improvement from last year. Want to see him play and perform against a stronger NCAA team than Arizona.

Reactions: Martinez

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Should have been ranked higher going into this year. I think he will continue to rise leading up to the draft.

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Matty Beniers presents really well in this truly goofy Vancouver super-fan "I only touch greatness" interview with Canuck draftee Jacob Truscott and his Michigan teammate. Beniers comes across as a well-spoken, friendly, and intelligent kid, and he gets plenty of face time.

You'll have to scroll down through a bunch of Canuck draft picks to find the Truscott & Beniers goofy super-fan interview,
but the kids get more time to talk than you might expect. There's also a brief exchange with Thomas Bordeleau.

I Only Touch Greatness Podcast: Jacob Truscott & Matty Beniers Interview (the Truscott & Beniers podcast in the "I only touch greatness" series),

or else via the Vancouver Sun's Canuck prospect survey:

Canucks prospects tracker: Hoglander at the ready, 'Truss' the process | Vancouver Sun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad