C/LW Matthew Beniers - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021, 2nd, SEA)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Remember when we all complained about Barzal being a selfish puck hog before he was drafted? To me, Berniers is a bigger Barzal who plays a better two way game, though to be fair to Barzal he did have an injury in junior that hampered his development.

Can't wait to see Bar...er, Beniers and Johnson light it up at MI later this season.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He also looks like a phenomenal puck hog in that video. So many opportunities to pass that would lead to a faster breakout that he passed on...

Instead he makes a flashy play that would backfire 10/10 times in the NHL.

I know this is against the Czech Republic in a game that was solidly in the USA's favor, and he perhaps thought he could get away with it, but still.

A puck hog is the last thing I would associate with Beniers. As for that clip it was the right play to make if he had the skill, skating, and IQ to pull it off. Which he clearly did.

Reactions: DJB

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I've seen NHL players do that exact same thing many times.

Bad decisions like this happen at all levels, true.

The thing is, if you do it in the NHL, most of the time it either means a quick loss of possession of the puck for your team as you get stick-checked, or means you have to backcheck like crazy to help defend the odd-man rush you just caused.

Sometimes it works, but the risk almost always outweighs the benefits.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Bad decisions like this happen at all levels, true.

The thing is, if you do it in the NHL, most of the time it either means a quick loss of possession of the puck for your team as you get stick-checked, or means you have to backcheck like crazy to help defend the odd-man rush you just caused.

Sometimes it works, but the risk almost always outweighs the benefits.

Yeah, and he'll learn when and where he can continue to make plays like that. I don't understand how you're trying to turn that into a bad thing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Remember when we all complained about Barzal being a selfish puck hog before he was drafted? To me, Berniers is a bigger Barzal who plays a better two way game, though to be fair to Barzal he did have an injury in junior that hampered his development.

Can't wait to see Bar...er, Beniers and Johnson light it up at MI later this season.

Beniers has nowhere near the skill of Barzal. Zegras is more Barzal than Beniers.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Barzal in D-1? I don't think so. IMO, Beniers is just as skilled as Barzal was in his D-1, though again, I think Barzal had a knee injury for a good part of the season. Beniers is certainly stronger and faster than he was at the same stage in their development.

Barzal now? Of course not.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Yeah, and he'll learn when and where he can continue to make plays like that. I don't understand how you're trying to turn that into a bad thing.

It's not a bad thing per se to make mistakes as a young player, moreso when it shows your skill and skating. I just think that there's a time and place for one-man rushes and that Beniers was woefully inefficient at it this one time because he had great passing options and puck support that he elected not to use. and that bothered me a bit, simple as that.

Then there's also the fact that the video in question reminded me of some of the high-skill, high-risk zone entries Gilbert Brule used to routinely do in the WHL and I found the association a bit detestable since I actually really like Beniers as a prospect.

Everything worked out for Beniers in the end, and that's great, but it's still something he will have to watch out for.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Barzal in D-1? I don't think so. IMO, Beniers is just as skilled as Barzal was in his D-1, though again, I think Barzal had a knee injury for a good part of the season. Beniers is certainly stronger and faster than he was at the same stage in their development.

Barzal now? Of course not.
i dont really agree with as skilled as barzal... maybe if you add their parts and get the sum ? Barzal was indeed injured a good bit during his draft season but has always been really highly regarded before, having exceptionnal skating, vision et hands. i like beniers a lot though, better forechecker and more complete than youger barzal but i cant agree on the faster... edge work was better on barzal too but beniers is indeed stronger. I agree a bit with the ever so controversed buch !

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I’ve seen the Barzal comparison a couple different places and don’t see it. Not the top end speed or skill; plays a bit heavier game and excels along the boards- though I do think he’s a great skater.

the guy that comes to mind for me is Anthony Cirelli. (Who I think would be closer to a 70 point guy on a less deep team where he didn’t get sparing PP time)

Reactions: Odie Cleghorn

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
He also looks like a phenomenal puck hog in that video. So many opportunities to pass that would lead to a faster breakout that he passed on...

Instead he makes a flashy play that would backfire 10/10 times in the NHL.

I know this is against the Czech Republic in a game that was solidly in the USA's favor, and he perhaps thought he could get away with it, but still.

I was going to say, kind of reminds me of Nail Yakupov back in juniors in that video.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think the fact that Beniers' pro comps are all over the place (from Toews/Bergeron/Danault to Seguin/Barzal/Point) is a testament to how well-rounded his game is. If I had to offer player comps based on my viewings of him I'd say something like this-

Pessimistic-realistic: Your run-of-the-mill versatile middle-six player, like a Radek Faksa or Nick Bonino

Optimistic-realistic (and most likely, imo): Very good 2C or 1B center, like a Bo Horvat or Jordan Staal

Slam-dunk outcome: Excellent two-way 1C, like a Sean Couturier or Ryan O'Rielly

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I've tossed out a Dylan Larkin comp when looking at his play at U of M. As I've been able to watch more of his WJC I still think that's probably the best comparable. Afterall, Larkin is just a crappier version of Barzal. ;)

I like Beniers but I think it's more likely he becomes one of the better 2Cs in the league than a true 1C that contenders tend to have. Still a good player and an important piece on any team. I think he goes anywhere from 6 to 10 in this year's draft.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Caveat: This is the WJC, it's a small sample size, most guys his age don't even make the team.. and chemistry doesn't always happen.

My observations that give me concern is the decision making and vision offensively doesn't look to be there. He's too comfortable to skate down the wing, throw the puck on the goalie from a bad angle and the perimeter and that be it. He hasn't created anything for himself or his linemates, despite being a very responsible player.

If he wants to be a top 6 center, he's going to have to create shot assists, he needs to bring the puck into the middle and he needs to practice patience (this is probably where the stage is a bit too bright for him).

Reactions: Dominance

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Caveat: This is the WJC, it's a small sample size, most guys his age don't even make the team.. and chemistry doesn't always happen.

My observations that give me concern is the decision making and vision offensively doesn't look to be there. He's too comfortable to skate down the wing, throw the puck on the goalie from a bad angle and the perimeter and that be it. He hasn't created anything for himself or his linemates, despite being a very responsible player.

If he wants to be a top 6 center, he's going to have to create shot assists, he needs to bring the puck into the middle and he needs to practice patience (this is probably where the stage is a bit too bright for him).

Worse case he looks almost as good as Turcotte.
He absolutely looks capable of driving a line
at an NHL level. Beniers is a tremendous skater
and you need to remember in Massachusetts
he could be playing for Hingham HS...lol.

He has a guaranteed higher ceiling than
Boldy and Turcotte because of his skating
skill and puck skills which you apparently
are ignoring.

He 100% has the potential to be a 1C on an NHL
team and worst case an elite #2C.

Has higher upside than David Krejci IMO.

Reactions: KristichBabych

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I've tossed out a Dylan Larkin comp when looking at his play at U of M. As I've been able to watch more of his WJC I still think that's probably the best comparable. Afterall, Larkin is just a crappier version of Barzal. ;)

I like Beniers but I think it's more likely he becomes one of the better 2Cs in the league than a true 1C that contenders tend to have. Still a good player and an important piece on any team. I think he goes anywhere from 6 to 10 in this year's draft.

This is a really good comp. Beniers has excellent
skating ability and his puchkandling and distribution
skills are underrated.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

are ignoring.

I still think Turcotte has an enormous ceiling. I think people have swung a little too far on Turcotte. He looked just as good at Wisconsin last year if not a little better than Beniers who has been very good at U of M. Turcotte for me is like an upgraded Bo Horvat, he is going to take a little bit of development time but he plays the game so hard and direct he is made for the NHL. He is a bull in a china shop player and that isn't as useful in international play. He has plenty of talent a lot of what he is doing is giving Zegras all that time and space right now. I also expect if we hook up with Canada and play a very NA style game Turcotte will be among the best USA guys in that game, we will have to see if that matchup comes to pass in the bronze or gold medal game.

Beniers just doesn't do a whole lot wrong. He is accountable and works hard seemingly all the time. He is a coaches favorite kind of player so it earns him roles sooner than typical for a guy his age and I expect that to continue in the NHL. That is good for his development too, he is constantly being pushed and it is a part of why I think he continues to rise up the board for me. I just see a guy that has a really trustworthy floor and he has some skills that you think might be elite, looking forward to watching him all year, but he always leaves me a positive impression both with U of M and now the USMNT U20s.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I still think Turcotte has an enormous ceiling. I think people have swung a little too far on Turcotte. He looked just as good at Wisconsin last year if not a little better than Beniers who has been very good at U of M. Turcotte for me is like an upgraded Bo Horvat, he is going to take a little bit of development time but he plays the game so hard and direct he is made for the NHL. He is a bull in a china shop player and that isn't as useful in international play. He has plenty of talent a lot of what he is doing is giving Zegras all that time and space right now.

I'm not down on Turcotte as I just feel Beniers has a bit more speed and agility to make plays with the puck. Turcotte didn't make the US Jr. Team D-1 while
Beniers made it in a top 6 role. His 2002
birthdate is affecting people's expectations IMO.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm not down on Turcotte as I just feel Beniers has a bit more speed and agility to make plays with the puck. Turcotte didn't make the US Jr. Team D-1 while
Beniers made it in a top 6 role. His 2002
birthdate is affecting people's expectations IMO.

Well the USA really has only traditionally brought fall birthdate draft players, so where you're born does matter. That is a part of the equation, not a massive part, but I certainly care about that. I think Luke Hughes should be on Team USA right now, but they didn't bring him because of how young he is and he is a full 10 months younger than Beniers and it matters in terms of when you evaluate them for me.

I feel like Beniers is a top 5 guy for me, I like him. Not as high on him as I was Turcotte but time will tell.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

are ignoring.

I'm not ignoring his skating or puck skills, the post was entirely about the things I'm noticing which will need to be improved, otherwise he's likely a 3C at the NHL level.

What good is skating fast and good puck skills if you don't create shots for your line-mates, if you don't ever get to the danger area, and you throw away possessions on low percentage shots?

It's the WJCs, which I already added a caveat about -- so I'm going to want to see him more at various levels to see if it is a stage/chemistry issue, or if it is an indication of a fundamental flaw which could hold him back from realizing his potential.

I don't think I would agree he has a higher ceiling than Boldy or Turcotte at this point.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I'm not ignoring his skating or puck skills, the post was entirely about the things I'm noticing which will need to be improved, otherwise he's likely a 3C at the NHL level.

What good is skating fast and good puck skills if you don't create shots for your line-mates, if you don't ever get to the danger area, and you throw away possessions on low percentage shots?

It's the WJCs, which I already added a caveat about -- so I'm going to want to see him more at various levels to see if it is a stage/chemistry issue, or if it is an indication of a fundamental flaw which could hold him back from realizing his potential.

I don't think I would agree he has a higher ceiling than Boldy or Turcotte at this point.
He certainly does not have a higher ceiling than Boldy.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad