C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
While I agree and have long said that they panicked at 7 with no idea what to do when Pettersson was picked at 5, I don’t think anyone would’ve known whether Chytil would be available at 21. I don’t think teams make certain picks in the first round to be able to make a different pick later in the draft.

I also agree with you that Andersson will be an NHL player, and I think at this point having him play top minutes in the AHL makes the most sense. Maybe at the trade deadline when we trade away some players, he’ll be back. That could allow him to play a top 9 role, which we really need to see him in. He might ultimately not be a top 9 NHL’er. He may never even be better than a dime a dozen 4th liner that plays 200-300 NHL games, but I don’t think he’s been done any favors with how he’s been used. Until we see him in the top 9, we can’t properly evaluate his potential.

Quinn talks about earning roles, but if that’s so, what business does Fast have on the 1st line playing 16:31 per game? One of the issues we’ve had under Quinn developing younger players is that Fast has been guaranteed a spot in the top 9 with top 9 minutes. He’s an adequate player, but he’s a career 28 point per 82 game player in the last season of his deal. We are a rebuilding team. Andersson should’ve had a place in the top 9 as a winger and Fast should’ve been a fourth line winger. Maybe with that we’d have different results for Andersson. And if not, at least we know he’s not a top 9 player, but if you never give him a chance, how will we ever know? This has constantly irked me. At least with Howden, who also hasn’t earned the role Quinn has given him since he got here, he’s a young player with theoretical potential. Andersson has gotten a raw deal from Quinn.

Jesper Fast is LA's ceiling

Reactions: Cassano

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jesper Fast is LA's ceiling

At this point, I agree. A year ago, not many would’ve said this.

He’s been on the fourth line since Quinn got here and Fast has been gifted a top nine spot because he works hard. I don’t think that’s very good player development for a rebuilding team. Not giving a top 10 pick anything other than a 4th line role is ridiculous. Vesey had a top six role, Howden had a top nine role, along with the aforementioned Fast. It’s not as if such great players were keeping him out of the top nine.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I watch Brannstrom nightly... he needs AHL time badly... a lot of the guys after Andersson was picked need seasoning

and I’m not sure the players that have played like Mittlestadt being on pace for 30 points is something to clamour to

if Andersson was not rushed to the nhl and had been seasoned in Sweden before coming to NA this year... he’d be viewed as highly as Owen Tippet imo

Agreed with your post until the last line. Owen Tippett is considered a big faller in the re-drafts, there was a thread on him here last week where that was pretty unanimous.

So I guess you can argue that part adds up as well. Andersson is viewed as highly as Tippett since both guys have seen their draft stocks fall considerably.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Are we sure the Rangers panicked?

McKenzie tweeted out during the draft that the Rangers' draft board was Pettersson, Glass, Andersson, Suzuki.

Pettersson and Glass went down in order at 5 and 6. Not sure how they would be panicking since their next BPA was available for them following those picks.

Yeah I remember listening to Brooksy at the draft right after the stephan trade, and he said he heard almost immediately after the trade that NY didnt want to be at 7 for long and was trying everything to move up to target a specific player they had a 1.

But Linden reported by vancouver media that they had Makar number 1 and thought he could drop to them.

Crazy to think what would have happened if that played out.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yeah I remember listening to Brooksy at the draft right after the stephan trade, and he said he heard almost immediately after the trade that NY didnt want to be at 7 for long and was trying everything to move up to target a specific player they had a 1.

But Linden reported by vancouver media that they had Makar number 1 and thought he could drop to them.

Crazy to think what would have happened if that played out.
In one of the GM mic'd up videos, Benning was talking with Buffalo and Vegas about moving down from 5, but he had absolutely no idea what NYR were going to do at 7, or who they'd pick.

He said they were a complete wildcard, and once Vegas said no to swapping 6OA for 5OA, he was hesitant to move to Buffalo's spot at 8OA because NYR then sat at 7OA, and they weren't sure they'd be able to get their guy (Pettersson) at 8OA because NYR might have taken then (Bobfather then confirmed Pettersson was NYR's ideal BPA for that spot).

I wonder where Vegas had Pettersson.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
The lack of talk about this guy speaks volumes about this guy's performance and potential as a bonafide NHL'er...

In my opinion he was rushed, should have stayed a season or 2 longer in the SHL to work on his shortcomings. He is struggling and it is quite painful for a kid that was drafted 7th overall. Should he do a Puljujarvi and go back to Sweden to get his game back?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The lack of talk about this guy speaks volumes about this guy's performance and potential as a bonafide NHL'er...

In my opinion he was rushed, should have stayed a season or 2 longer in the SHL to work on his shortcomings. He is struggling and it is quite painful for a kid that was drafted 7th overall. Should he do a Puljujarvi and go back to Sweden to get his game back?
He's in Sweden nursing an injury, but he can't pull a Puljujärvi even if he was healthy as he's under contract with the Rags.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Hello? Why is no one sharing this? It sounds to be that he got bullied or had some nasty arguments with the staff or something...

Lias Andersson speaks out

It was a guarded but forthcoming Lias Anderson that spoke about his situation. “People can say it’s an idiotic decision in regards to my hockey career - but they don’t know the whole story” is the opening quote from Lias, who is wearing a pair of slippers as he cant fit his feet into a pair of shoes, he played the last games with both Hartford and New York Rangers with injured feet. In the end he left USA on the first possible flight.

-”There has been many incidents, but I can’t divulge everything, I will do that at a later stage. There has been many incidents that has hurt me on a personal level, things that has made me struggle mentally. In regards to hockey this might be an idiotic decision but I have to think about my private life too.”, Lias falls silent, “I feel like I have lost the hunger and drive for [hockey] at the moment - and all these incidents has affected me. I feel like I have to get this under control first and foremost.”

-”I know I am good enough to play over there, I think I proved that during the preseason. I thought I grabbed one of the centre spots behind Mika Zibanejad, but...”, Lias falls silent again, “My hockey confidence is probably in there somewhere but mentally it has been tough due to some things. That’s the problem.”

-”There is a career that is more important than hockey, that career includes friends, family and my health. Hockey wise this might not be the smartest decision, we have to wait for the verdict a couple of years, if I want to play in the NHL. However, hockey is played in many places. Many people believe I have made a hockey decision but I have made this decision with my future health on mind.”

-”Dad understood why I left, and more people will. I have spoken with my friends and my agents they really do understand why I left. That feels comfortable. When you don’t know the whole truth this will look like an idiotic decision, but I am no spoiled brat who moans about not playing for the New York Rangers. That’s not the point there are other factors.”

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
He was recently loaned to HV71 in the SHL. Through two games, he has 1 point.

Here was the point, a primary assist.

Minor note for context: He hadn't played since around Christmas time, and was rehabbing an injury, hence the lack of games played

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hello? Why is no one sharing this? It sounds to be that he got bullied or had some nasty arguments with the staff or something...

Lias Andersson speaks out

It was a guarded but forthcoming Lias Anderson that spoke about his situation. “People can say it’s an idiotic decision in regards to my hockey career - but they don’t know the whole story” is the opening quote from Lias, who is wearing a pair of slippers as he cant fit his feet into a pair of shoes, he played the last games with both Hartford and New York Rangers with injured feet. In the end he left USA on the first possible flight.

-”There has been many incidents, but I can’t divulge everything, I will do that at a later stage. There has been many incidents that has hurt me on a personal level, things that has made me struggle mentally. In regards to hockey this might be an idiotic decision but I have to think about my private life too.”, Lias falls silent, “I feel like I have lost the hunger and drive for [hockey] at the moment - and all these incidents has affected me. I feel like I have to get this under control first and foremost.”

-”I know I am good enough to play over there, I think I proved that during the preseason. I thought I grabbed one of the centre spots behind Mika Zibanejad, but...”, Lias falls silent again, “My hockey confidence is probably in there somewhere but mentally it has been tough due to some things. That’s the problem.”

-”There is a career that is more important than hockey, that career includes friends, family and my health. Hockey wise this might not be the smartest decision, we have to wait for the verdict a couple of years, if I want to play in the NHL. However, hockey is played in many places. Many people believe I have made a hockey decision but I have made this decision with my future health on mind.”

-”Dad understood why I left, and more people will. I have spoken with my friends and my agents they really do understand why I left. That feels comfortable. When you don’t know the whole truth this will look like an idiotic decision, but I am no spoiled brat who moans about not playing for the New York Rangers. That’s not the point there are other factors.”

It be nice to hear the Rangers side of things.

cause all we know right now, is he left the team. that is all he "left" the team. He quit on his team.

that is all.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
They're not going to say anything until he speaks out.

the professional thing to do is probably not speaking out at all, and not want to embarrass the team (rangers) and the player himself. I hope it works out for both sides.

like what more harm could the rangers have done, I can't see a scenario where Anderson got screwed over.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Better, but still not encouraging. This is a lost season but would be nice if he finished strong. Point per game in the SHL would give me much more confidence.
Only one player in the whole league is ppg I think. Would take a really good NHLer to be a sure ppg guy in the SHL.
HV71 is rolling four lines pretty equally as well so they are among the hardest teams to get impressive stats on.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
At this point there's maybe a 20% chance he becomes a top-9 NHLer. So disappointing for a 7th overall. Maybe he'll be a late bloomer type player if he can get faster and bigger/stronger, but even then he looks to be a 3rd line grinder with some more skill than a Jesper Fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad