C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I wonder who wrote this to the eliteprospects...

" Andersson is an excellent team player. Never takes a shift off. Also blessed with good hockey sense and plays a strong two-way game. Offensively, Andersson stands out with impressive puck skills, a good shot and good speed. Has the tools to become a scoring line player, but could also become an excellent role player who always gives 100%. (EP 2017) "

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It sounds to be that he got bullied or had some nasty arguments with the staff or something...

Lias Andersson speaks out

-”There has been many incidents, but I can’t divulge everything, I will do that at a later stage. There has been many incidents that has hurt me on a personal level, things that has made me struggle mentally. In regards to hockey this might be an idiotic decision but I have to think about my private life too.”, Lias falls silent, “I feel like I have lost the hunger and drive for [hockey] at the moment - and all these incidents has affected me. I feel like I have to get this under control first and foremost.”
Sounds soft to me. The Rangers probably treat their players the best in the entire league. The owner lends out his private jet to players when they have an family problems. The locker rooms, food, transportation, support staff and facilities are basically a 5 star hotel. The AHL affiliate is obviously a big step down but it's not the gulag.

This guy is just a total schmuck

Peeps

May 24, 2017
What happened is that the NYR don't know what Lias Andersson is. They didn't know how to handle him.

They bring him in the NHL and put him on the 4th line, then labeling him as a grinder and PK player.

Problem is, he's not a grinder. And way too young to start that role.

He's been doing good in the AHL when playing the 1st line and the big minutes.

Trust is so important for young player and players in general.

You bring him in the show expecting him to do good, while the guy is a 7th OV pick expecting to play at least top 9 with PP and PK time.

He goes to the SHL and get trust from the coaches while playing a lot. Result? Production and confidence.

NYR is the problem. Not him. This kid is a true professionnal and just want to help a hockey team win.

You don't cry and toss a medal for fun while being the captain of your country.

He will find a way back to the NHL. I hope not with the Rangers. They don't deserve him.

NYI or CLB would love that type of player. Even PHI.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sounds soft to me. The Rangers probably treat their players the best in the entire league. The owner lends out his private jet to players when they have an family problems. The locker rooms, food, transportation, support staff and facilities are basically a 5 star hotel. The AHL affiliate is obviously a big step down but it's not the gulag.

This guy is just a total schmuck

He is alleging/eluding to something pretty different in his comments in my opinion. We will have to wait and see if he divulges more in time, but what he outlined sounded an awful lot like bullying/hazing in terms of when I have heard it before in hockey culture.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
He is alleging/eluding to something pretty different in his comments in my opinion. We will have to wait and see if he divulges more in time, but what he outlined sounded an awful lot like bullying/hazing in terms of when I have heard it before in hockey culture.

I honestly think this guy's a troll based off some of his posts today. Or maybe he's just on a real coke bender, not quite sure

blindpass

May 7, 2010
NYR is the problem. Not him. This kid is a true professionnal and just want to help a hockey team win.

Pretty bizarre that for you this is evidence that he's not the problem. The kid clearly has some growing up to do.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What happened is that the NYR don't know what Lias Andersson is. They didn't know how to handle him.

They bring him in the NHL and put him on the 4th line, then labeling him as a grinder and PK player.

You bring him in the show expecting him to do good, while the guy is a 7th OV pick expecting to play at least top 9 with PP and PK time.

He goes to the SHL and get trust from the coaches while playing a lot. Result? Production and confidence.

He will find a way back to the NHL. I hope not with the Rangers. They don't deserve him.

I'm not completely on board with the idea that the Rangers did absolutely nothing wrong here, but the way you frame this is ridiculous.

This season in the AHL his play was incredibly mediocre. I don't know how many AHL games you watched, but I watched a lot of AHL games when he was with the team. He was was a non-factor in most games. He had a few good games, but his effort looked to be a big question because he was playing worse than he had played in previous AHL seasons, which doesn't make much sense. He's since quit on the team. He accepted a suspension, so we do know that his attitude was a problem.

If he was treated unfairly to be in the AHL, he didn't prove the team wrong with how he played. He also didn't prove the team wrong with how he played in a 4th line role.

In the NHL, he's been rather abysmal. He's added almost nothing. The coach has also said that his in-game work habits are not yet suited for the NHL. Howden's play has probably not been much better yet in the NHL than Andersson's, but he puts in maximum work-ethic at all times every shift. Quinn gives him the benefit of the doubt because of that, and he doesn't give Andersson the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you could say neither deserves the benefit of the doubt, but I can understand why Howden has gotten it and Andersson hasn't. You can't argue that Quinn hasn't done well with developing young players. Nearly every young player on the team has improved with him as coach, so I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt in regards to how he's utilized Andersson.

I also think that many of us just don't think Andersson has such high upside. He's gotten plenty of NHL games, and has not shown the type of ability to impact shifts. It's not clear he has real strengths that will play as such in the NHL. We were told how good his hockey IQ was. It doesn't look anything out of the ordinary, but certainly not great. We were told how good his shot is. I can't even remember him scoring a goal. If he has, it's only a few, and he's played enough games that he should have a lot more goals than he did for a player with a strong or weak shot. He doesn't skate particularly well for the NHL game, his puck game and playmaking is rather mediocre. He's capable defensively, but I don't know how that would get someone a big role as an NHL forward. It usually doesn't. I think most believe that Andersson's realistic upside is probably a good bottom six forward now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
PPG goal yesterday. 4+4 in 10 games. Doing what he needs to do to up his trade value, and get us something of value back at the draft.

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
I'm not completely on board with the idea that the Rangers did absolutely nothing wrong here, but the way you frame this is ridiculous.

This season in the AHL his play was incredibly mediocre. I don't know how many AHL games you watched, but I watched a lot of AHL games when he was with the team. He was was a non-factor in most games. He had a few good games, but his effort looked to be a big question because he was playing worse than he had played in previous AHL seasons, which doesn't make much sense. He's since quit on the team. He accepted a suspension, so we do know that his attitude was a problem.

If he was treated unfairly to be in the AHL, he didn't prove the team wrong with how he played. He also didn't prove the team wrong with how he played in a 4th line role.

In the NHL, he's been rather abysmal. He's added almost nothing. The coach has also said that his in-game work habits are not yet suited for the NHL. Howden's play has probably not been much better yet in the NHL than Andersson's, but he puts in maximum work-ethic at all times every shift. Quinn gives him the benefit of the doubt because of that, and he doesn't give Andersson the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you could say neither deserves the benefit of the doubt, but I can understand why Howden has gotten it and Andersson hasn't. You can't argue that Quinn hasn't done well with developing young players. Nearly every young player on the team has improved with him as coach, so I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt in regards to how he's utilized Andersson.

I also think that many of us just don't think Andersson has such high upside. He's gotten plenty of NHL games, and has not shown the type of ability to impact shifts. It's not clear he has real strengths that will play as such in the NHL. We were told how good his hockey IQ was. It doesn't look anything out of the ordinary, but certainly not great. We were told how good his shot is. I can't even remember him scoring a goal. If he has, it's only a few, and he's played enough games that he should have a lot more goals than he did for a player with a strong or weak shot. He doesn't skate particularly well for the NHL game, his puck game and playmaking is rather mediocre. He's capable defensively, but I don't know how that would get someone a big role as an NHL forward. It usually doesn't. I think most believe that Andersson's realistic upside is probably a good bottom six forward now.

Very balanced post.

Apart from the much discussed personal issues (which I believe are very secondary to on-ice performance – ie if on-ice performance was there, everything would be rolling as ”planned”), here’s my take/hypothesis as a total outsider:

Lias Andersson has for the first time in his career hit a ceiling, and does not (currently) have the ability to handle it. There’s an underestimated talent when reaching for the highest level that is called ability to adapt. To ask yourself ”What does the game need from me”, rather than ”What do I want from the game”. Marcus Krüger had the ability. Sebastian Collberg and Max Friberg did not.

However, adaptation may not be good enough anyway – the ”fantastic allround player” from Junior or lower senior levels may just be nothing but mediocre in the NHL, and players with obvious flaws but some very specific high-end strengths may thrive in specific roles. There’s a clear value in ”fat tails”, averages don’t win. Magnus Pääjärvi, all cred to him, tried incredibly hard for many years, but never really succeeded.

I think adaptation talent goes hand in hand with hockey-IQ. It goes all the way back to why a player fell in love with the game of hockey in the first place. It’s a scale from ”Me, my stick and the puck” and ”Me, the ice, my teammates and the opposition”. Since I am not overly impressed with Lias’ general hockey-IQ, I am bearish on his chances in the NHL. The game pace seems too fast for his modus operandi.

From a Swedish perspective, I want to throw in some related thoughts about the development process, including composition of Junior national teams. We tend to put players in roles too early. In combination with rushing talent upward in age groups (where creative centers are put on third line wing and defenders play high glass, generally speaking) this is detrimental to developing the variety in the talent pool. I’m not advocating the Russian-type all-skill way, but we are much too far on the other side of the spectrum.

Back to Lias, he’s been put in team-leading roles all his life. Big minutes, pp, the go-to-guy, C on his jersey. Now he’s expected to be something else. Something his hockey education never has taught him and not really has exposed him to, unfortunately by design. He was, in a very simplified way of describing it, put on a one-way-track very early and has now reached a cul-de-sac (in an NHL perspective).

Now, at the end of the day he might come to the conclusion that his passion for the game is best nurtured in the SHL. Like Ryan Lasch, who loves his dominant role i Frölunda, but likely could have settled for a completely different role lower in the line-up in the NHL (the opposite choice being made by for example Pierre Edouard Bellemare).

I will revisit this post in a couple of years as the story pans out.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Very balanced post.

Apart from the much discussed personal issues (which I believe are very secondary to on-ice performance – ie if on-ice performance was there, everything would be rolling as ”planned”), here’s my take/hypothesis as a total outsider:

Lias Andersson has for the first time in his career hit a ceiling, and does not (currently) have the ability to handle it. There’s an underestimated talent when reaching for the highest level that is called ability to adapt. To ask yourself ”What does the game need from me”, rather than ”What do I want from the game”. Marcus Krüger had the ability. Sebastian Collberg and Max Friberg did not.

However, adaptation may not be good enough anyway – the ”fantastic allround player” from Junior or lower senior levels may just be nothing but mediocre in the NHL, and players with obvious flaws but some very specific high-end strengths may thrive in specific roles. There’s a clear value in ”fat tails”, averages don’t win. Magnus Pääjärvi, all cred to him, tried incredibly hard for many years, but never really succeeded.

I think adaptation talent goes hand in hand with hockey-IQ. It goes all the way back to why a player fell in love with the game of hockey in the first place. It’s a scale from ”Me, my stick and the puck” and ”Me, the ice, my teammates and the opposition”. Since I am not overly impressed with Lias’ general hockey-IQ, I am bearish on his chances in the NHL. The game pace seems too fast for his modus operandi.

From a Swedish perspective, I want to throw in some related thoughts about the development process, including composition of Junior national teams. We tend to put players in roles too early. In combination with rushing talent upward in age groups (where creative centers are put on third line wing and defenders play high glass, generally speaking) this is detrimental to developing the variety in the talent pool. I’m not advocating the Russian-type all-skill way, but we are much too far on the other side of the spectrum.

Back to Lias, he’s been put in team-leading roles all his life. Big minutes, pp, the go-to-guy, C on his jersey. Now he’s expected to be something else. Something his hockey education never has taught him and not really has exposed him to, unfortunately by design. He was, in a very simplified way of describing it, put on a one-way-track very early and has now reached a cul-de-sac (in an NHL perspective).

Now, at the end of the day he might come to the conclusion that his passion for the game is best nurtured in the SHL. Like Ryan Lasch, who loves his dominant role i Frölunda, but likely could have settled for a completely different role lower in the line-up in the NHL (the opposite choice being made by for example Pierre Edouard Bellemare).

I will revisit this post in a couple of years as the story pans out.

So he's basically Charlie Conway circa the midpoint of Mighty Ducks 3?

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

elitebottomsix

Feb 19, 2016
If he keeps plying well I wonder if he could return pulijarvi if they included a mid pick? Switch the problem child’s and hope for the best

Reactions: Ippenator

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he keeps plying well I wonder if he could return pulijarvi if they included a mid pick? Switch the problem child’s and hope for the best

I'm not convinced the Rangers would be adding.

Andersson is younger, one less draft removed from his high-pick status, is playing well in a better league than Puljujarvi is playing well in, and has a higher floor. It looks likely at this point that neither will reach their ceiling when they were drafted, but Andersson should at least be able to carve out an NHL role as a grinder. Puljujarvi probably won't be able to be a grinder in the NHL.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don't see why we have to trade him at all. If a good deal for NY is to be had then great, otherwise if he doesn't like coming back to Hartford he can stay in Sweden

well you want to trade him other wise it’s a wasted 7th overall pick.

elitebottomsix

Feb 19, 2016

Andersson is younger, one less draft removed from his high-pick status, is playing well in a better league than Puljujarvi is playing well in, and has a higher floor. It looks likely at this point that neither will reach their ceiling when they were drafted, but Andersson should at least be able to carve out an NHL role as a grinder. Puljujarvi probably won't be able to be a grinder in the NHL.

agreed but Andersson would need to buy into bottom six role and thats a big question mark

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012

I like Lias, but even though we are rebuilding, hes done nothing to prove worthy of a Top9 spot.

Reactions: The Sweetness

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Pulju has a much larger sample size from Liiga than Andersson from SHL, Pulju is also bigger and better skater

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pulju is also bigger and better skater

And Andersson also has stylistic advantages. I agree with you about the sample from Puljujarvi being bigger.

I think there are considerations in favor of both players. I do not however think the Rangers would be adding to a swap of the two players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad