C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's kind of funny to see how Rangers fans flock in to defend what he did by trying to justify it with things like "He's a winner and just hates to lose".

C'mon, you know if he wasn't drafted by you guys that you'd be in the same boat as the rest of the world and acknowledge what he did was completely disrespectful and poor sportsmanship.

That being said it's understandable that he's a young, emotional, immature teenager still.

Nah, most of us are rational/sane enough to not give a shit what an 18 year old does with a loser's medal.

You do you, though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
"Needless controversy"

To who? Rangers fans do not give a **** about this. In fact, I'd say most of us either like it or are completely fine with it.
He's going to be asked about it a bunch over time. I bet the first day of camp next year at the Rangers camp he'll be asked about it. I'm sure he'll be asked about it in Sweden. It will just be an annoying inconvenience.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's going to be asked about it a bunch over time. I bet the first day of camp next year at the Rangers camp he'll be asked about it. I'm sure he'll be asked about it in Sweden. It will just be an annoying inconvenience.

Yeah, being asked a question about why he hates losing so much is going to be extremely harmful for him. Probably will ruin his development as a player.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Mourinho handed his to a kid wearing a Manchester United jersey after the game. The optics are a bit different than throwing it into the crowd to an opposing fan right after receiving it.

The only thing really dumb about this is that Andersson just created needless controversy around himself. I could care less what he does with his medals. Pretty much everyone else is talking about him being a solid kid and a good leader. It was immature, mainly because he's created a situation where he will be asked about it 2000 times.

If I was his agent, at this point, if he really doesn't want the medal, I would put it up for auction with the money going to a charity of his choice (for example something like Make a Wish). That would be much better optics for him. It would also turn a negative situation into a positive one.

So wait....its because he through it to a random person in the crowd who wasn't a kid? The fan asked for it and Lias threw it to him. Immature - Was Mourinho immature - no because in your eyes he gave it to a kid so he's ok.

It does not matter who the medal was given to, he didn't want it and just like Mourinho, he tossed it in the crowd. My point being, one was in Europe and was praised and the other was in N. America and was slated.

They both did it and got completely opposite reactions. Why? Was it because his team lost to Canada? From what I saw he hugged and shook every Canadian players hand and congratulated them. That is sportsmanship and professionalism. The media and the overly sensitive population made it an issue.

Give it to charity - this is the cheapest way of trying to find a reason for what he did was wrong.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So wait....its because he through it to a random person in the crowd who wasn't a kid? The fan asked for it and Lias threw it to him. Immature - Was Mourinho immature - no because in your eyes he gave it to a kid so he's ok.

It does not matter who the medal was given to, he didn't want it and just like Mourinho, he tossed it in the crowd. My point being, one was in Europe and was praised and the other was in N. America and was slated.

They both did it and got completely opposite reactions. Why? Was it because his team lost to Canada? From what I saw he hugged and shook every Canadian players hand and congratulated them. That is sportsmanship and professionalism. The media and the overly sensitive population made it an issue.

Give it to charity - this is the cheapest way of trying to find a reason for what he did was wrong.

But clearly, since he tossed the medal, he wasn't sincere when he was shaking hands. It was all just an act!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, being asked a question about why he hates losing so much is going to be extremely harmful for him. Probably will ruin his development as a player.
Yes, because that's what I said........... It will completely ruin him. What a ridiculous response. It's just an annoying thing that will be repeatedly brought up.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Is Mourinho on camera throwing it into the crowd? If you can't see the difference in the optics then I don't know what to say.

No, he's shown handing it to a kid as he's going to the tunnel after all the celebratory stuff after Real collected their medals.

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i have absolutely no problem with this. firstly, its not like its an olympic medal or anything. its world juniors. big, but not this crazy big ordeal. its a tournament for teens/young adults. the biggest thing with throwing it is that he obviously is not satisfied with losing and says screw second place. if he were on my team id love seeing that raw emotion about not being satisfied with losing. the ONLY thing i would dislike about this is if the medal hit and injured someone. the action itself id argue is pretty good.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Is Mourinho on camera throwing it into the crowd? If you can't see the difference in the optics then I don't know what to say.

No, he's shown handing it to a kid as he's going to the tunnel after all the celebratory stuff after Real collected their medals.

Thrown into crowd to Arsenal Fan

Throws Winners medal into Crowd.

Like I said he has done it numerous times and yes he is on camera throwing into the crowd.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yes, because that's what I said........... It will completely ruin him. What a ridiculous response. It's just an annoying thing that will be repeatedly brought up.

The only thing that is ridiculous is the faux outrage from certain people about this. It's not as if Andersson took a Canadian flag and burned it at center ice. Get over it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thrown into crowd to Arsenal Fan

Throws Winners medal into Crowd.

Like I said he has done it numerous times and yes he is on camera throwing into the crowd.

Not in the right after he is handed it. And in the case of the 2006 medal that is a winner's medal. They are both done as he's leaving the pitch.

The reason Andersson catches flack is that he is literally throwing the medal into the crowd right after he is handed it while his team is still receiving their medals while the Camera's are running.

I don't really care about what he did. It is just a needless distraction he will be asked about. But, other people will, and it created a stupid talking point.

The only thing that is ridiculous is the faux outrage from certain people about this. It's not as if Andersson took a Canadian flag and burned it at center ice. Get over it.
Where have I said I'm outraged? What do I have to get over? You keep adding things to something I never said.

All I said was it would bring him annoying questions and is a pointless distraction. On top of that I added if he really doesn't want it, he should auction it off to raise money for a good cause.

I've said multiple times he's a competitive kid who works hard and wants to win. I don't hold this against him, nor am I outraged.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bit of an empty calorie gesture to show you don't accept losing after the fact...

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Not in the right after he is handed it. And in the case of the 2006 medal that is a winner's medal. They are both done as he's leaving the pitch.

The reason Andersson catches flack is that he is literally throwing the medal into the crowd right after he is handed it while his team is still receiving their medals while the Camera's are running.

I don't really care about what he did. It is just a needless distraction he will be asked about. But, other people will, and it created a stupid talking point.

Was my proof not good enough for you?

Both these medal throws were caught live on TV - When the cameras are rolling.

....and in the case of a winners medal, wouldnt it have been an abomination of Anderssons soul if he threw a Gold medal into the crowd. I mean that would be worse than burning the Canadian flag and dancing around it.

However, let me get this straight. Now your saying he is only in the wrong, disrespectful, childish, unprofessional and immature not because he through it at a specific fan who asked for it but because he done it whilst his teammates were still getting their medals and he done live on camera, right?

:facepalm:

Reactions: Nifty Willy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Was my proof not good enough for you?

Both these medal throws were caught live on TV - When the cameras are rolling.

....and in the case of a winners medal, wouldnt it have been an abomination of Anderssons soul if he threw a Gold medal into the crowd. I mean that would be worse than burning the Canadian flag and dancing around it.

However, let me get this straight. Now your saying he is only in the wrong, disrespectful, childish, unprofessional and immature not because he through it at a specific fan who asked for it but because he done it whilst his teammates were still getting their medals and he done live on camera, right?

:facepalm:
I never called him disrespectful. All I said is he created a needless talking point.

Mourinho did it as he was exiting the field. Andersson did it while his team was still receiving their medals and the optics aren't good. Mourinho sort of gets a pass due to the fact the first time he did it, he was throwing away a Premiership medal in celebration.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Bit of an empty calorie gesture to show you don't accept losing after the fact...
It has nothing to do with accepting defeat, its the principle of he doesnt want rewarded for second place and the medal is a reminder of that.

He said himself that he already has one from 2 years ago which he hasnt even acknoweldged since he got it and he doesnt want another one.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It has nothing to do with accepting defeat, its the principle of he doesnt want rewarded for second place and the medal is a reminder of that.

He said himself that he already has one from 2 years ago which he hasnt even acknoweldged since he got it and he doesnt want another one.

Well, in that case it would have been more of an impactful gesture had he thrown the 2nd place trophy on the ice upon receipt and led his team off the ice.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Meh. I don't have an issue with the toss honestly. I do think he should have been a bit more "professional" or courteous when receiving the medal though. No reason to be a dick (or pouting) to the guy giving you the medal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad