C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Destroying a city over a SCF loss. Not no player throwing a participation trophy to a fan cause he didnt want it unless he won gold. I call that guts.
Lol.. you realize that American cities flip busses, light fires to public trash cans and loot stores for winning and losing the Super Bowl?
Also it's a WJC silver medal, not a participation trophy. I call that facts.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Lol.. you realize that American cities flip busses, light fires to public trash cans and loot stores for winning and losing the Super Bowl?
Also it's a WJC silver medal, not a participation trophy. I call that facts.
I'm not saying we're perfect cause we clearly ain't. But the fact of the matter is people all do shit we all don't approve of, the kid doesnt deserve all that heat just because he didnt want his medal.. He only had one thing in my was gold, and nothing else.

Reactions: Shut Up Flanders

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm not saying we're perfect cause we clearly ain't. But the fact of the matter is people all do **** we all don't approve of, the kid doesnt deserve all that heat just because he didnt want his medal.. He only had one thing in my was gold, and nothing else.
Most of it is just teasing .. nothing more .. I am surprised at the NYR fans coming to his rescue on this. I do think the gesture is disrespectful to the tournament , the people that worked hard to put it on, .. he should not have done it.. Do I think its a huge deal... no

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Why is it so hard to acknowledge that there is a lot of pride behind a silver medal won for your country so of COURSE some people are going to disprove. There's nothing wrong with disproving.

Simultaneously, ( in the context of what he did and why) it's just as understandable to applaud him for what he did.

We are all made up of the sum of our actions and for most people, one single action does not mean even half as much as what some people seem to think this meant.

At best he was following a Swedish tradition and giving away a second place medal b/c he:
earned one previously
Committed everything to a first place medal and
Decided a fan would want it more than he would (since he didn't want it at all)

At worst he made an emotional decision that any human with a semblance of empathy can understand, including GM's, fellow players and countrymen. Has any player or coach said anything negative about what he did? What do the people of Sweden think?

Last edited:
Reactions: felixpettersson

Mayuu

Mar 10, 2017
Doesn't really mean that he wont come back to Frölunda, most likely it means that but he can still return until the 15th feb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I guess I was wrong on that, thought they named an entire team, but I think there might be some forward spots left.
Yeah, there are two spots to be filled by injured players. Andersson, Pettersson (not Elias), Engqvist, and Nilsson are the four named gunning for the spots.

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
These are the impressions I have had after following him this season:

throughout the three zones he is ultra-aware of where the puck is, where the opponents and his teammates are.

This sensitivity or eye for the game as the Fins call it can lead to awkwardness like in his first AHL game where he has the skill to drive play but is too timid to finish it because he does not know the gameplan.

He has to learn that his innate drive and aggresssiveness is the gameplan in much of the North American hockey. That 90% of AHL and NHL coaches are fundamentally different from top Swedish coaches and do not plan the minutae of the game. Especially coaches like Alain Vigneault.

But his awareness can also lead to interceptions, small nice touches that lead to team scoring goals that he makes happen.

In the defensive end he is already better than most established NHL forwards in board battles and covering his own man.

Moving on to the middle of the ice. He has the speed and can deke to move the puck up the ice in the neutral zone. This is somewhat contrary to prevailing opinion.

However, in the offensive zone he is somewhat limited by his lack of acceleration and fancy moves. But he has so soft hands for scoring that he is made in heaven for the modern day powerplay. He also possesses a wrist shot that can easily beat top NHL netminders.

All in all, definitely a top 20 NHL prospect and a future 30+40 player at his prime. He just needs 2 more seasons in the AHL to mature. He is by no means ready offensively.

This season was a bit of a stagnation: he travelled a lot and was exhausted. Then Frölunda’s coach had über-crazy gameplans that led to a slow start for the entire team, many games where Lias was the only player completely into the game. Yep, even Dahlin looked out of it most of the time. Then the coach simplified the game and played Lias on the 1st PP unit - things got a lot better. WJC went really well but he still has not had a chance to successfully remove his weaknesses to become a top-scoring center.

The plus side is that he can already be the reliable 30-40 point center that Kevin Hayes is for NYR. But two more years in an easier but rougher league like the AHL will teach him how to score more.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would be very surprised if he reached 40 assists, maybe he reaches 30+30 at his best.

Derek Stepan has only reached 40 assists once, he had 40 assists his best season, and he's a better passer of the puck than Andersson who's more of a goal-scorer.

I also would not be sure he has a 70 point ceiling. Going back to the comparison to Stepan who was our 1C for a few seasons, Stepan has never reached 60 points. He had 3 seasons where he probably would've reached it if he played 82 games, but he didn't.

Is Andersson a better offensive player than Stepan? I'm not sure he is. I would say his points for his ceiling could be closer to what Stepan has put up, but with more goals and less assists. He also might not reach that level, and could be about as good as Hayes is.

Reactions: rt

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I would be very surprised if he reached 40 assists, maybe he reaches 30+30 at his best.

Derek Stepan has only reached 40 assists once, he had 40 assists his best season, and he's a better passer of the puck than Andersson who's more of a goal-scorer.

I also would not be sure he has a 70 point ceiling. Going back to the comparison to Stepan who was our 1C for a few seasons, Stepan has never reached 60 points. He had 3 seasons where he probably would've reached it if he played 82 games, but he didn't.

Is Andersson a better offensive player than Stepan? I'm not sure he is. I would say his points for his ceiling could be closer to what Stepan has put up, but with more goals and less assists. He also might not reach that level, and could be about as good as Hayes is.
He's got more physical tools than Stepan has ever had, but I think Stepan's a smarter player by a bit. If he can figure out how to get the most out of his physical skills like Stepan has, I wouldn't be too shocked to see him put up more points than Stepan has. But in saying that, it is a decently big "if"

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
He's got more physical tools than Stepan has ever had, but I think Stepan's a smarter player by a bit. If he can figure out how to get the most out of his physical skills like Stepan has, I wouldn't be too shocked to see him put up more points than Stepan has. But in saying that, it is a decently big "if"
He is very seasoned for his age. He has a mind for hockey and will find a way to be successful at any level. He makes anyone around him better and has a winners mind. He is a perfect fit for the NHL.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Another secondary assist tonight. 0-2-2 in 3GP so far.

Has been playing all situations in Hartford.

Wish AHLLive quality wasn't so shitty and I wish it wasn't so expensive.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad