C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
And how exactly did he disrespect his country and his teammates?

Did any of his peers complain about it?

I haven’t heard anyone from Sweden whining like you about it, so I don’t think his country is offended.

And it’s his medal. A medal he earned. Throwing it isn’t a sign of being selfish.

You’re being very sensative to something that isn’t really a big deal.

The easiest way to comment on this is to prove that logic doesn't hold for one single thing you said here, so you made 4 statements, we'll take them in order.

Statement 1) You are assuming that complaints only count if they are found from direct quotes in interviews. As soon as the players got into the dressing room they would have been in instant damage control mode and told not to comment on it. If you fail to see how any teammates would be frustrated at one of their own doing something like that, then you just aren't thinking about it hard enough and harbor biased views towards team dynamics.

2) You just don't get it, if you don't value reputation, accountability, and humility then thats on you.

3) This is the worst one of them all, why then by that same logic don't they saw team trophies into 24 pieces so he could chuck his 1/24th then as well? You have to understand that even if something is your property, it doesn't mean its above rules/culture. You can't take your gun and walk down main street with it and say "its my gun I do what I want", you, your actions, and your property are all governed by rules, either legal, ethical, or cultural.

4) You are clearly missing the fact that you can't talk in absolutes about subjective topics, it just doesn't work. Don't kid yourself, if the kid was on another team you wouldn't feel inclined to defend the position. If you think its fine, good for you, I don't and i'm voicing my reasons as to why I feel that way.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
The easiest way to comment on this is to prove that logic doesn't hold for one single thing you said here, so you made 4 statements, we'll take them in order.

Statement 1) You are assuming that complaints only count if they are found from direct quotes in interviews. As soon as the players got into the dressing room they would have been in instant damage control mode and told not to comment on it. If you fail to see how any teammates would be frustrated at one of their own doing something like that, then you just aren't thinking about it hard enough and harbor biased views towards team dynamics.

2) You just don't get it, if you don't value reputation, accountability, and humility then thats on you.

3) This is the worst one of them all, why then by that same logic don't they saw team trophies into 24 pieces so he could chuck his 1/24th then as well? You have to understand that even if something is your property, it doesn't mean its above rules/culture. You can't take your gun and walk down main street with it and say "its my gun I do what I want", you, your actions, and your property are all governed by rules, either legal, ethical, or cultural.

4) You are clearly missing the fact that you can't talk in absolutes about subjective topics, it just doesn't work. Don't kid yourself, if the kid was on another team you wouldn't feel inclined to defend the position. If you think its fine, good for you, I don't and i'm voicing my reasons as to why I feel that way.
I'm a Habs fan from Canada so I have no attachment to Andersson. If Poehling on the U.S (Has prospect chucked his bronze medal into the crowd or if Sweden would have won gold and any Canadian player did it, I would not be offended in any way.

Also, I highly doubt any player in the dressing room looked at it as a form of disrespect to their 2nd place finish. They probably got into the dressing room and all felt the same way as Andersson and looked at the frustration their captain had and took it as a sign that they failed.

It's easy as a fan to make all these claims of disrespect, immaturity and so on but in the moment, I'm actually willing to bet that he actually got his point across to his team as a captain by doing that and not proudly accepting a 2nd place medal like a basic "class" hockey player.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Annnnyyywayyyyy...

Gronborg menrioned he was watching the WJC for Dahlin, Andersson, and Pettersson.

Think he has a chance to make the Olympic team?

Reactions: eco's bones

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Annnnyyywayyyyy...

Gronborg menrioned he was watching the WJC for Dahlin, Andersson, and Pettersson.

Think he has a chance to make the Olympic team?
is he even eligible? he signed an ELC with the rangers. does an NHL contract not disqualify a player from competing?

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
I suspect he thought this over for a few minutes and thought it would be a powerful thing to do in order to show how passionate and upset he was. Not realizing he was a teenager full of emotions at that moment.

He will look back on it someday and probably cringe about it.

Overall I don't see it as a big deal. He's a kid. Kids do stupid things and sometimes don't look at the bigger picture. Life goes on.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
Listen, the guy is a good hockey player, some people are going to be mad about it and some people wont care, the bottom line is that it was 100% unnecessary and childish. Hockey culture produces characters which show humility and class... we do it with hand shakes after long series, playing opposing team anthems etc etc, there was simply no reason for this to even happen.

But he shook hands and listened to the Canadian Anthem? I think what the kid did showed tremendous character. It did not look like he threw a temper tantrum and chucked the medal. He shook the hand then while skating away took it off his head and lobbed it to a fan. I believe he knew exactly what he did and by doing so earned respect from his peers. Honestly they are all that matters.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
But he shook hands and listened to the Canadian Anthem? I think what the kid did showed tremendous character. It did not look like he threw a temper tantrum and chucked the medal. He shook the hand then while skating away took it off his head and lobbed it to a fan. I believe he knew exactly what he did and by doing so earned respect from his peers. Honestly they are all that matters.
I'm a Habs fan from Canada so I have no attachment to Andersson. If Poehling on the U.S (Has prospect chucked his bronze medal into the crowd or if Sweden would have won gold and any Canadian player did it, I would not be offended in any way.

Also, I highly doubt any player in the dressing room looked at it as a form of disrespect to their 2nd place finish. They probably got into the dressing room and all felt the same way as Andersson and looked at the frustration their captain had and took it as a sign that they failed.

It's easy as a fan to make all these claims of disrespect, immaturity and so on but in the moment, I'm actually willing to bet that he actually got his point across to his team as a captain by doing that and not proudly accepting a 2nd place medal like a basic "class" hockey player.

Thats fine you can believe whatever you want to believe. All I know is that if liljegren or any player that I was attached to did it, I would be pissed off, and I could literally guarantee you that he would be punished by the leafs. If we were talking about international teams like team canada at the Olympics, I could literally guarantee that that player would never play another game for the team. Just look at historical subban snubs as an example when he was younger and lacked the humility/class he has today. When you give opinions like what you brought up, you are effectively minimizing and distancing all of the aspects that constitute the player, which generates too much of an minimalist/idealistic view. You guys also have this problem where you are interpreting the absence of quoteables from his teammates as a means of support for the argument that it didn't have an effect on them. The reality is that this incident will cost him in some material way in the future, the extent however is yet to be seen.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Thats fine you can believe whatever you want to believe. All I know is that if liljegren or any player that I was attached to did it, I would be pissed off, and I could literally guarantee you that he would be punished by the leafs. If we were talking about international teams like team canada at the Olympics, I could literally guarantee that that player would never play another game for the team. Just look at historical subban snubs as an example when he was younger and lacked the humility/class he has today. When you give opinions like what you brought up, you are effectively minimizing and distancing all of the aspects that constitute the player, which generates too much of an minimalist/idealistic view. You guys also have this problem where you are interpreting the absence of quoteables from his teammates as a means of support for the argument that it didn't have an effect on them. The reality is that this incident will cost him in some material way in the future, the extent however is yet to be seen.
Its possible team Canada would have punished him and maybe black listed him. Montreal probably would have punished him as well, maybe traded him. Just like the Subban trade due to his character was clearly a good decision right. Sometimes emotion isn't a bad thing.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Just like how the Moore incident cost Bertuzzi an Olympic spot only 2 years later? Or how the Lindros drama cost him a spot only a few months after the draft? Team Canada welcomed them both with open arms. Some NHL teams even give contract offers to KHL players suspended for doping. You need to chill, there are no lives at risk here.

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Very shameful behavior for him on Friday night, hopefully this will be a 1 time thing and he'll learn from it. Alright to show emotion but that was a bit much on his part on Friday night.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
The only ones who are offended are a couple Canadians on HFboards and Twitter. Both Börje Salming and Corey Hirsch has said they support what he did. Put this meaningless discussion to bed and talk about what Lias is doing on the ice instead. If you want to cry about it, do so in under the covers in your bedroom. The rest of us are not interested in your emotions.
Peace.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Just like how the Moore incident cost Bertuzzi an Olympic spot only 2 years later? Or how the Lindros drama cost him a spot only a few months after the draft? Team Canada welcomed them both with open arms. Some NHL teams even give contract offers to KHL players suspended for doping. You need to chill, there are no lives at risk here.
Right so your example from 40 years ago is some how more relevant than examples from this decade? Talk about a reach. Babcock/yzerman/armstrong types of today would literally never allow that. Look at giroux, its not a coincidence that he wasn’t ever picked when he was younger and getting drunk/ playing grab ass with policr officers. These things matter.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Very shameful behavior for him on Friday night, hopefully this will be a 1 time thing and he'll learn from it. Alright to show emotion but that was a bit much on his part on Friday night.
Throwing medals is kind of a swedish tradition when you think the refereee is terrible. Ara Abrahamian is a national hero.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Throwing medals is kind of a swedish tradition when you think the refereee is terrible. Ara Abrahamian is a national hero.
If there'd been any justification to their belief it wouldn't have been quite as cringe-worthy.

The kid will grow up, more worried about the rest of the country buying the BS and defending it. We are likely in for a lot of embarrassing behavior if this isn't criticized by the media there, instead it seems to be encouraged.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Right so your example from 40 years ago is some how more relevant than examples from this decade? Talk about a reach. Babcock/yzerman/armstrong types of today would literally never allow that. Look at giroux, its not a coincidence that he wasn’t ever picked when he was younger and getting drunk/ playing grab ass with policr officers. These things matter.

Now you are just reaching. Stop embarrassing yourself, nothing will happen with Andersson.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Can we stop cluttering up the Lias Andersson thread with this nonsense about the medal throwing act? It's now 5 pages worth of debate and everything that can be said about the subject has been said; no one is going to change their minds on this topic at this point. Let's move on, shall we?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
I'm sorry but if you think throwing a medal warrants getting left off the team then you have your values off.

Leaving someone off the team when he deserves to be on because of something like this is detrimental to the teams success.

Chucking your silver medal is not.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I'm sorry but if you think throwing a medal warrants getting left off the team then you have your values off.

Leaving someone off the team when he deserves to be on because of something like this is detrimental to the teams success.

Chucking your silver medal is not.
I think this can be wrong. Establishing character in a team is important, probably more important than the inclusion of any one player. Not saying that's the case here since there's every reason to think the problems run deeper, into the coaching and maybe beyond.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I think this can be wrong. Establishing character in a team is important, probably more important than the inclusion of any one player. Not saying that's the case here since there's every reason to think the problems run deeper, into the coaching and maybe beyond.

20171024-1709392810.jpg

Reactions: felixpettersson

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Well, when your coach doesn't make himself available for interview after a game, and instead allows teenagers to speak for the team. Also the discipline after the empty net goal, with players slashing and Steen on the ice again after what he did in the US game. And then the media repeat the unfounded diving/bias BS... Literally have not seen one Swede acknowledge that they acted like buffoons. Not a good look at all. Hard to like or respect sore losers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad