C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think people are forgetting just how good Koivu was in his prime. He was just surrounded by mediocrity. If Lundell is as good as him then a team should snap him up well before pick #11.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Lundell could likely play a 3C role already next year but for his development 1 more year in the Liiga with maybe a brief ahl stint in his draft+2 before putting him in the nhl

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lundell could likely play a 3C role already next year but for his development 1 more year in the Liiga with maybe a brief ahl stint in his draft+2 before putting him in the nhl

With how much pressure there is on teams these days, it's unlikely he will get a chance to develop in Finland. If it was 2010, then sure. But in 2020, there is so much focus on the draft, and the coverage has reached new heights, to the point where both media and fans almost demand a top-10 player to be on the team immediately. LA signing Turcotte 1 year into his college career, Chicago playing Dach in his D+1, Patrick, Mittelstadt, Andersson, Wahlstrom, Kravtsov. They all were, in my opinion, rushed for no other reason than to please the fanbase and the media

Reactions: My3Sons

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
From what I've read and heard on interviews, Lundell seems like a guy who is wise beyond his years. This trait hopefully helps him face his weaknesses sooner than later. Therefore, I feel like another year or two in Finland would be the best approach. The schedule is obviously less demanding than NHL/AHL so he'd have more time to finesse the whole package while playing lots of meaningful minutes in a decent pro league.

After all, Lundell has like 75 % of his game already figured out. Let him take his time with the "missing" parts and you could actually find a Kopitar-lite type 1C in him.

Reactions: CLW and JabbaJabba

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
What's his ETA? Can he make the NHL in 2 or 3 years

Probably 1 more year in Finland before going to America. Then a year in the AHL wouldn't hurt him. We'll see how he progresses next season. It is going to be his 3rd year in FEL, so I think he's approaching to the limit he can learn from playing there. Hopefully he's spending this spring and summer gaining muscle, he seems quite mature physically already, but more mass wouldn't hurt him. Need to focus on that skating though as well. Lundell should be the 2nd line center for HIFK next season, playing quality minutes every night will do good for him.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
What's his ETA? Can he make the NHL in 2 or 3 years
He’s pretty physically mature for his age. If the AHL is a go next year I’d bring him there for a year so he can get a few NHL games in as needed. Should be ready for a 3C role after that.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Far better to leave him in Finland till he's he is dominating over there. Getting him over here just to play in the AHL in the midst of an virus epidemic seems counterproductive, to me.

Mikko was drafted in 2001, and didn't come over till 2005. Not saying that Lundell needs that long, but let's not pick the fruit till it's ripe.

Funny how I am near certain that he will be picked by MN.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Far better to leave him in Finland till he's he is dominating over there. Getting him over here just to play in the AHL in the midst of an virus epidemic seems counterproductive, to me.

Mikko was drafted in 2001, and didn't come over till 2005. Not saying that Lundell needs that long, but let's not pick the fruit till it's ripe.

Funny how I am near certain that he will be picked by MN.

Could you go the other way and say the Wild will be looking to change things up and go for more high upside players?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Lundell is still there at #11 they have to pick him. BPA at a position of need. You know who should pick him, and won't? Buffalo. Having a solid, two way, middle six C would do wonders for their team, but they'll probably pick a boom/ bust winger...which is fine, if you can live with the bust.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2009
éal
If Lundell is still there at #11 they have to pick him. BPA at a position of need. You know who should pick him, and won't? Buffalo. Having a solid, two way, middle six C would do wonders for their team, but they'll probably pick a boom/ bust winger...which is fine, if you can live with the bust.
They probably want someone to help Eichel on his line, but maybe Eichel would benefit more by having a good centreman behind him to take some load off his shoulders. If I were Buffalo I'd take a good look at him. Seems like a sure bet to, unlike say Perfetti

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
They probably want someone to help Eichel on his line, but maybe Eichel would benefit more by having a good centreman behind him to take some load off his shoulders. If I were Buffalo I'd take a good look at him. Seems like a sure bet to, unlike say Perfetti
If Buffalo is the kind of organization that values Mittelstadt and Cozens, you know they're gonna miss big time with their pick.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I liked Mittelstadt, and it's not like he didn't show a lot against top competition in international play. I had no problem with that pick, nor Cozens. I do think that they could use a meat and potatoes type to settle them down, though, and Lundell seems to be that.

The whole ROR saga makes me wonder WTH is going on there, though.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

ijuka

May 14, 2016
To me, Mittelstadt and Cozens both were toolsy picks where it was unsure whether they could eventually put it all together, high risk high reward-types. Anton Lundell to me is the complete opposite of that.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
To me, Mittelstadt and Cozens both were toolsy picks where it was unsure whether they could eventually put it all together, high risk high reward-types. Anton Lundell to me is the complete opposite of that.
I dont know if I agree regarding Cozens. He has decent speed, effort, defensive awareness, that I think they left some skill on the table to take the "safer pick"

The forwards following him were: Zegras, Podkolzin, Boldy, Caufield, Newhook. All those guys seem more on the high-risk/high-reward side, more so than Cozens.

Then they passed on Kaliyev and some other notable forwards that some fans wanted, for Ryan Johnson, the year before going with Matthias Samuelsson, neither really screaming big upside.

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
One of the most underrated players in this draft IMO. Really good all-around player, smooth skater, great playmaking ability, and an amazing wrist shot as well. Crazy that some people don't even have him in the top 10, as I could easily see him being a 1C in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad