C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
One of the most underrated players in this draft IMO. Really good all-around player, smooth skater, great playmaking ability, and an amazing wrist shot as well. Crazy that some people don't even have him in the top 10, as I could easily see him being a 1C in the NHL.
Smooth skater? Are you sure you are on the right thread? Lundell's weakness is skating, it's average. But definetally not smooth.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Not to nit pick but if it’s average it’s not technically a weakness, just his weakest area. Seems like a really well rounded player, with maybe more offensive upside than he gets credit for.
Yes, his skating is a weakness. He's one of the worst skaters among players likely to be picked in the 1st round this year.

What do you mean by "average"? Average among NHL players or among players his age?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His skating looks OK to me. As someone above said, not bad, just the weakest part of his toolkit, though I would also wonder about his offensive creativity. Since that is an intangible, it's hard to measure. Having said all that, I'm hoping my team runs up to the virtual podium to pick him at #11 if he's still there. MN needs functioning C's, especially ones that have a chance to be top 6 C's.

If he turns out to be another JEE? I can live with that, though I'd obviously hope for more offense. Having two JEE's is not the worst thing in the world.

Last edited:

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
His skating looks OK to me. As someone above said, not bad, just the weakest part of his toolkit, though I would also wonder about his offensive creativity. Since that is an intangible, it's hard to measure. Having said all that, I'm hoping my team runs up to the virtual podium to pick him at #11 if he's still there. MN needs functioning C's, especially ones that have a chance to be top 6 C's.

If he turns out to be another JEE? I can live with that, though I'd obviously hope for more offense. Having two JEE's is not the worst thing in the world.
Also, keep in mind that he plays in a men's league already where players are better at skating, and have larger ice too.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Not to nit pick but if it’s average it’s not technically a weakness, just his weakest area. Seems like a really well rounded player, with maybe more offensive upside than he gets credit for.
I agree, he is very well rounded, and his offensive capabilities are really getting slept on, this guy can snap the puck top cheese very unexpectedly, he has it naturally like some other shooters who are top notch in the NHL. Combine that with hockey IQ and knowing where to be most of the time and you got a very dangerous player, Pettersson comes to mind too.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
I agree, he is very well rounded, and his offensive capabilities are really getting slept on, this guy can snap the puck top cheese very unexpectedly, he has it naturally like some other shooters who are top notch in the NHL. Combine that with hockey IQ and knowing where to be most of the time and you got a very dangerous player, Pettersson comes to mind too.
some of the passes he makes are insane

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
This'll seem weird coming from a Montreal fan, but I would be glad if we got him. I'm not as high on Ryan Poehling as others and I'm one of those fans that doesn't want to see us get another undersized winger (I know, I know).

Following the selections of Kotka and Poehling, he seems to fit Montreal's bill as a defensively responsible player, and he might have high end offensive talent (for a two-way player). And, I just love the idea of the three headed monster down the middle that this would create for Montreal: Kotka, Suzuki, and Lundell. Obviously there are other players in this draft that I want above Lundell, but this would be great center depth for the next decade.
As an Oiler fan knowing we need a right handed sniper, I'd be okay drafting Lundell as an elite 3C. 3c is a big hole for us moving forward. Expecting he could play the 3c role either in his d+1 or the year after

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
As an Oiler fan knowing we need a right handed sniper, I'd be okay drafting Lundell as an elite 3C. 3c is a big hole for us moving forward. Expecting he could play the 3c role either in his d+1 or the year after

3rd C basically is Lundell's destiny in NHL.
But without Lundell falls somewhere TOP20 / TOP25 range in draft night
Oilers chances to get him are almost 0%.

Last edited:
Reactions: nally

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'd have to say that 3C is underestimating him quite a bit, unless we assume that he just barely makes it as an NHL player.

If that is the case, though, I'd not pick him so high. I'd spend an early pick on a potential top 6 player, wasting picks on 3Cs is just a total waste as you can get those relatively cheaply from other sources.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'd have to say that 3C is underestimating him quite a bit, unless we assume that he just barely makes it as an NHL player.

If that is the case, though, I'd not pick him so high. I'd spend an early pick on a potential top 6 player, wasting picks on 3Cs is just a total waste as you can get those relatively cheaply from other sources.

3C on the Penguins maybe

Reactions: abo9

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
3C covers a lot of ground. Coyle is a 3C, technically. That's a pretty good player.

Is there anyone out there who thinks he has elite #1C upside?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
3C covers a lot of ground. Coyle is a 3C, technically. That's a pretty good player.

Is there anyone out there who thinks he has elite #1C upside?
I think Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, and Perfetti all have that.

I don't think they'll all get there, but they do have that upside.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think you misunderstood me. I was wondering if anyone thought Lundell had elite #1C upside. A Barkov/Kopitar/Toews type, probably, given his ability to play both ways, and size.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think you misunderstood me. I was wondering if anyone thought Lundell had elite #1C upside. A Barkov/Kopitar/Toews type, probably, given his ability to play both ways, and size.

i wouldn’t draft him with that in mind but it’s probably not much less likely than him only being a low end defensive 3C.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I think it is a lot more likely he becomes just a good defensive bottom-6 C than he becomes a 1C.

I personally wouldn't bank on him being a top-6 C in the NHL. I am sure he will become an NHLer and maybe he becomes a very good 3C/capable defensive 2C, but I don't think his offensive upside and skating is good enough to warrant a top-10 pick and to feel comfortable with him being a core piece.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

At #11 another JEE would be underwhelming, not a complete miss by any means but you’d hope for a higher end talent at that draft slot ya know.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Lundell had 28 pts in Liiga this year. JEE had 6 pts in the SHL his draft year and 15 pts in his D+1. I get that Lundell isn't dynamic but the kid put up pts against men. I think that translates more than some kid the same age playing in the MHL putting up tons of pts in a form of hockey that bares little resemblance to NHL style or quality.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

Not too often i agree with your views but on this one i gotta say 100% agree.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I think it is a lot more likely he becomes just a good defensive bottom-6 C than he becomes a 1C.

I personally wouldn't bank on him being a top-6 C in the NHL. I am sure he will become an NHLer and maybe he becomes a very good 3C/capable defensive 2C, but I don't think his offensive upside and skating is good enough to warrant a top-10 pick and to feel comfortable with him being a core piece.
The skating is the only thing that is really lacking, he has good offensive capabilities and has a very good shot, and creativity to go with it that he has shown in glimpses. Plus one thing people including scouts also pointed out of him is having the ability to be on the right spot on the right time, that alone gets you far if it transitions to the NHL well. To me he's pretty much a wild card, nobody thought Pettersson for example was anything that special, and look how that panned out. If Lundell improves his skating than he could well be way better than some think, we'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The skating is the only thing that is really lacking, he has good offensive capabilities and has a very good shot, and creativity to go with it that he has shown in glimpses. Plus one thing people including scouts also pointed out of him is having the ability to be on the right spot on the right time, that alone gets you far if it transitions to the NHL well. To me he's pretty much a wild card, nobody thought Pettersson for example was anything that special, and look how that panned out. If Lundell improves his skating than he could well be way better than some think, we'll just have to wait and see.

I disagree. I think the lack of creativity is a lot more worrying than the skating. The skating isn't even bad. He's not an explosive skater, but I don't see it as much worse than league average, if it's even that. He's not likely to have trouble keeping up with the pace of the NHL game. And he has good size, strength, work ethic, hockey IQ and a good defensive game. I don't see him having much of a problem being a regular in the NHL.

The bigger problem I see is that he's not much of a player that can create many scoring chances at a higher level. He doesn't have standout stick skills, he doesn't have excellent playmaking, and I don't think he shows the initiative to be a line driving player. How many points does he have in his game with his skills? I don't think it's that many. I'd be surprised if he ever hit 60 points. If he's 45-55 consistently and close to 60 in his best season, he's probably worth a top 15 pick. Less than that, and he probably isn't worth a top 15 pick. But given that the top 15 picks won't end up the best 15 players in any draft and he's quite likely to be an NHL'er of some kind, he's a pretty safe pick. He probably just lacks much upside. You could justify top 15 in a re-draft in ten years if he hits his ceiling, which might be a higher probability than some others in his draft range, but its highly unlikely this guy will ever be higher than top 15.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
When has Lundell shown that he has elite skill? JrC qualifiers when he was 15?

Liiga is the ECHL(with better goalies) beyond Karpat right now. Really tough to read those tea leaves as they bleed players to the KHL & NLA.

Love the floor, just never shown a ceiling against peer groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad