C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Centers like Lundell have premium in draft. Weve seen it over again past years Strome went before Marner, Dubois before Puljujärvi, Kotkaniemi before Tkachuk and Zadina, Hayton before Zadina, Hughes before Kakko. When those lottery teams dig down and deep they usually go with the center like Lundells upside is 1C and floor 2C against wingers who are same tier like Raymond or Holtz they go with the center

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Centers like Lundell have premium in draft. Weve seen it over again past years Strome went before Marner, Dubois before Puljujärvi, Kotkaniemi before Tkachuk and Zadina, Hayton before Zadina, Hughes before Kakko. When those lottery teams dig down and deep they usually go with the center like Lundells upside is 1C and floor 2C against wingers who are same tier like Raymond or Holtz they go with the center
It's possible but looking at the bottom dwellers, how many of those teams actually need a centre? I dont think New Jersey (Hischier/Hughes), Los Angeles (Vilardi/Turcotte/Kupari), Montréal (Suzuki/Poehling/Kotkaniemi), Anaheim (Steel/Zegras) or Chicago (Dach/Strome) would look at a centre.

I could see Detroit and Ottawa reach for Lundell at 4th instead of going for another winger like Raymond. Maybe Chicago...

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
It's possible but looking at the bottom dwellers, how many of those teams actually need a centre? I dont think New Jersey (Hischier/Hughes), Los Angeles (Vilardi/Turcotte/Kupari), Montréal (Suzuki/Poehling/Kotkaniemi), Anaheim (Steel/Zegras) or Chicago (Dach/Strome) would look at a centre.

I could see Detroit and Ottawa reach for Lundell at 4th instead of going for another winger like Raymond. Maybe Chicago...
Strome has been less than impressive this season. In a few years, Hawks will need a Toews repl.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

You can never have enough centers and you can just move them to wing if need be. There's also no guarantee that all of those players make it.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
If ottawa wins the lafreniere lottery with one of their pick, lundell is going to be their second pick for sure

This, actually.

Via Erik Karlsson trade they wuld actually have two picks in top 5 so why not to take either one from Laf and Lundell. But if theres a case Byfield is still available for them if Red Wings will win the lottery, then at that case I think they culd go with By and some winger. Maybe Stutzle, Raymond or Holtz.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
If ottawa wins the lafreniere lottery with one of their pick, lundell is going to be their second pick for sure

If they pass on Rossi for Lundell, I’m driving out to that decrepit building on the edge of town and burning it down.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I finally watched some Lundell and now i cant understand why people are questioning his offensive capabilities?

creative player with good size, speed,hands, shot, passing and the numbers to back it up. very intelligent on both sides of the puck as well.

if he was in the CHL he'd probably be putting up a 90-100 point season.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
he isn't the best center outside of Byfield though, he's behind Stützle and Rossi tbh

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Literally watching him right now.

Skating is fine/good, both straightline & edge work. Play off the puck is fine/good, even if it’s more defensive in nature. Strong on the puck.

I just haven’t seen anything to suggest that he’s more than a bottom 6 C. Usage isn’t flattering him, maybe they let him off the leash in the 3rd up by 3.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Literally watching him right now.

Skating is fine/good, both straightline & edge work. Play off the puck is fine/good, even if it’s more defensive in nature. Strong on the puck.

I just haven’t seen anything to suggest that he’s more than a bottom 6 C. Usage isn’t flattering him, maybe they let him off the leash in the 3rd up by 3.
I mean he has played 2nd/3rd line for the whole year. His production is impressive.

Reactions: KappoTheGoat

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I mean he has played 2nd/3rd line for the whole year. His production is impressive.
If we’ve learned anything over the last few years about Liiga, it isn’t.

Added: just had his 1st shift in ages, chased forwards while defending like F3 instead of a center, eventually woke up and started playing his role. Been more than a few shifts tonight where he played like a trailing winger than a C.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
If we’ve learned anything over the last few years about Liiga, it isn’t.

Added: just had his 1st shift in ages, chased forwards while defending like F3 instead of a center, eventually woke up and started playing his role. Been more than a few shifts tonight where he played like a trailing winger than a C.
Liiga is definitely worse than when Barkov and Granlund played. It's not explained by single players flopping like Kakko, Puljujärvi and to an extent, Kotkaniemi, as there are clear success stories of Laine and Heiskanen (Aho) at the same time.

The main problem I see is that the Finnish league is filled with second rate players, including tons of Junior players partly because of the forced promotions of Jukurit, Sport and KooKoo, although KooKoo has finally done something out of the 3 2010-promotion teams.
Lowering the amount of teams would make sense for the product, but these promotion teams would essentially go belly up if they would be relegated from Liiga, and that means that we won't see that happening for a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad