C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020, 12th, FLA) Part2

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Tonight seems like a little bit of a one off (Marchment also with 6 points). However what a perfect environment for Lundell to develop in. Veterans, winning, icetime.

Happy to see him succeed. I was a little worried his skating could relegate him to perma 3C status, but he seems to be blowing any haters out of the water.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Tonight seems like a little bit of a one off (Marchment also with 6 points). However what a perfect environment for Lundell to develop in. Veterans, winning, icetime.

Happy to see him succeed. I was a little worried his skating could relegate him to perma 3C status, but he seems to be blowing any haters out of the water.
Of course it’s a one off. He’s not going g to score 5 points often, but he looked just as good tonight as he’s looked the last 10ish games.

Reactions: majormajor

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
He's already at prime Mikko Koivu level in terms of game play. Not there yet in terms of locker room guy yet I'd guess.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
From everything I've seen and heard, he's a born leader. The guy had A & C in HIFK and captained the U20 team in a great fashion.

Sure he might have some leadership qualities already but Mikko Koivu in terms of leadership is the best captain that Finland has ever had and I think that Minnesota Wild fans would regard his leadership highly as well so I won't consider Lundell to be at that level yet in terms of leadership. I haven't been in the locker rooms seeing things live though, but it's hard to imagine Lundell would be that kind of guy yet.

Lundell of course has far to go to reach what Mikko Koivu did during his entire career, but he's on a very good track to get there if he can keep this up and I'd say that his current play is prime Mikko Koivu level stuff.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Still thought he should've been taken much higher. Fell right to Floridas laps and look at him

I await my bag of popcorn as to why the Wild didn't take him :popcorn:
Rossi is an elite prospect who could easily turn into an all-star calibre player. Takes like this not even 2 years removed from the draft are so unnecessary.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yes we know that is he is on a legit Stanley Cup contender.

????

What does that gotta do with anything,
he has worked hard to get to where he is at at the moment,
and has played really well so far.

You sort of imply that the only reason that is so, because he plays for a legit Stanley Cup contender, as you put it.

Right....

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
Still thought he should've been taken much higher. Fell right to Floridas laps and look at him

For once the Panthers had some luck in the draft day when he fell. I still remember when Avalanche snatched Rantanen right before us.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
For once the Panthers had some luck in the draft day when he fell. I still remember when Avalanche snatched Rantanen right before us.

I wanted the Jets to draft this guy. He was right there, and the hole at the time was a centre between Ehlers and Laine. Though that changed months later.

If he gets the Calder it's going to sting here. But I also suspect that having Barkov to mentor him has made him a better player, where I am not sure he would have got that leadership in Winnipeg.

I'm happy I picked Lundell up for my fantasy team on Sunday.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Yeah, and the arguments were off for Lundell also. Like he didn't have offensive upside, even though his Liiga season was perfectly fine in terms of scoring. It always was difficult to understand why exactly he landed so low.

On the other hand, it might also be a blessing to be drafted so low. I feel like Kakko suffered from the hype and being put into NHL right away. Lundell got to play another strong season in Liiga and was much readier for NHL game. In general, I wish that teams would stop rushing early picks to NHL. For this 2020 draft, it feels like especially Lafreniere's suffering from this but Stützle as well.

Age for age, Lundell's currently ahead of where Barkov was at his age and it'll be very interesting to see how he'll end up. Big steal regardless, and chances for first overall in redraft.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Yeah, and the arguments were off for Lundell also. Like he didn't have offensive upside, even though his Liiga season was perfectly fine in terms of scoring. It always was difficult to understand why exactly he landed so low.

On the other hand, it might also be a blessing to be drafted so low. I feel like Kakko suffered from the hype and being put into NHL right away. Lundell got to play another strong season in Liiga and was much readier for NHL game. In general, I wish that teams would stop rushing early picks to NHL. For this 2020 draft, it feels like especially Lafreniere's suffering from this but Stützle as well.

Age for age, Lundell's currently ahead of where Barkov was at his age and it'll be very interesting to see how he'll end up. Big steal regardless, and chances for first overall in redraft.
I think he ends up as a top 5-10 pick in any redraft. pretty clear that Lundell is a very skilled player, and Florida giving him a role of the 3rd line and penalty kill has helped his strengths as well

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think he ends up as a top 5-10 pick in any redraft. pretty clear that Lundell is a very skilled player, and Florida giving him a role of the 3rd line and penalty kill has helped his strengths as well
I can’t see any argument he should fall outside the top 5 in any redraft.

Reactions: majormajor

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Remember that World Juniors where Finland won, and everybody was talking about young Kakko, even though Lundell looked even better?

Yeah, he's better.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
BTW Lundell is almost +30 this season, if anyone is interested. :)
+25, and many players on the Panthers are in the +15 to +25 range. The + is more a team stat than individual one. Having said that, I want to acknowledge that Lundell has played great defensively

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
His +/- is not that important, it's more the fact that he's 2nd on his team in that category. That is damn impressive.
I wouldn’t read TOO much into that. He’s +25, essentially tied with Duclair (+24), Forsling (+24) and Gudas (+23). All fine, but not exactly amazing players - in their seasons before coming to Florida, Duclair was a minus player on Ottawa, Forsling a minus player on Chicago, it’s a team stat.

Florida are stacked, basically everyone who plays significant minutes has a great +/-, they’ve got a whopping 12 players who are +15 or better. Don’t get me wrong, Lundell is an excellent rookie, I just don’t think his +/- is overly meaningful.

Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad