C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020, 12th, FLA) Part2

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
How's he played? Pretty good stats, that he's played second most pk mins

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Leads the league in takeaways with 35, 6th in blocked shots and 2nd in shorthanded TOI for fowards. Has barely played PP because he has only lately been getting PP2 ice time. 1 of his 17 points have been PP points and he is heaviliy utilized defensively and has 40 dz - 60 oz draw ratio. Really good advanced stats for a rookie. Riding on 4 games point streak and has 5 points over that span. Could have easily more.

Lundell has potential to be prime Toews/Bergeron level of player and yet still is flying under radar. His offensive production isn’t far off other future offensive star labeled rookie Zegras outside of PP. Zegras has 78 oz - 22 dz draw ratio. Idea is not to downplay Zegras because he has potential to be superstar. Lundell is just offensively criminally underrated. Common opinion is him having limited offensive abilities. He isn’t flashy, but this guy can create plays out of nothing and his ability to read plays is nothing short of special. Just think what prime Bergeron and Toews brings on the table offensively.

He certainly has offensive talent to put PPG and he is more talented than Barkov defensively. Not quite there yet, but has all the tools to surpass him.

Last edited:

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
From what I’ve seen and heard he’s been great. Too bad he won’t get calder concideration because of not putting as many points as the other rookies.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Guy is going to develop into a Huby/Barkov hybrid. I mistake him for both of them all the time. I’m expecting his offense to blow up like Barkov’s did, after a couple seasons carving out his defensive game (which he already excels at). I’ve seen flashes of brilliance with his hands and vision, but that’s not his role right now. He’s also wicked strong for his age. His puck takeaways are hilariously good. He’s the future of the team. Seems like Captain material too.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think he will ever get to Barkov's level offensively. Those players are really rare. FLA will have to settle for the next Mikko Koivu, which is pretty damn good, especially if has better linemates than Mikko had, and doesn't have to be the the #1C while also being the best defensive C, like MK did. Lundell is the sort of player that helps you win even when he is putting up flashy stats.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
I don't think he will ever get to Barkov's level offensively. Those players are really rare. FLA will have to settle for the next Mikko Koivu, which is pretty damn good, especially if has better linemates than Mikko had, and doesn't have to be the the #1C while also being the best defensive C, like MK did. Lundell is the sort of player that helps you win even when he is putting up flashy stats.
Well he is much better than Koivu was in that age. Much closer to 20yo Barkov than a 20yo Koivu really.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well he is much better than Koivu was in that age. Much closer to 20yo Barkov than a 20yo Koivu really.
Koivu was a 6th overall pick. With all due respect to Lundell, Mikko was a terrific player, surrounded by mediocrity on a team coached by Lemaire, who's modern day analogue is Trotz. FLA would be turning cartwheels if he turns out as good. Barkov and Koivu/Lundell as a 1,2 is just about perfect for a team that wants to win.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Koivu was a 6th overall pick. With all due respect to Lundell, Mikko was a terrific player, surrounded by mediocrity on a team coached by Lemaire, who's modern day analogue is Trotz. FLA would be turning cartwheels if he turns out as good. Barkov and Koivu/Lundell as a 1,2 is just about perfect for a team that wants to win.
All he said is that Lundell is much better than Koivu at the age of 20. That isn't opinion.. that's a fact.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
2 points tonight and leads all forwards in takeaways with 42.

Not only does he have an impressive 26 points in 39 games, most of his shift starts are in the defensive zone. He’s jumped right into a 3rd line center role and is contributing offensively and defensively.

I think he should be higher in Calder voting given his defensive prowess.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If he had been available at #16 pick, that's my first target for Habs at 2020 draft. What a pick by Florida. I'm really happy with Kaiden Guhle today, but Lundell is a stud C. (I think Guhle is a stud D too).

Reactions: simonedvinsson

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Not only does he have an impressive 26 points in 39 games, most of his shift starts are in the defensive zone. He’s jumped right into a 3rd line center role and is contributing offensively and defensively.

It’s mostly just a very strong Calder year. He’s in the clear top 4 with Raymond, Seider and Zegras, but I’d personally have them ranked:
  1. Raymond
  2. Seider
  3. Zegras
  4. Lundell
All very close, then more of a gap to the next group (Drysdale, Jarvis, Jeannot, Bunting, Nedeljkovic, etc.). Lundell is more well rounded than Zegras, but the Calder is always heavily about offence, and Lundell is more of a complementary player for the Panthers, while Zegras is a star for the Ducks:
  • Zegras 2nd on his team in scoring, 7 points behind 1st
  • Lundell 7th on his team in scoring, 30 points behind 1st

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Defense usually doesn't win calder votes sadly. If we did all around play, frankly i'd give it to someone like Zegras anyways

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Defense usually doesn't win calder votes sadly. If we did all around play, frankly i'd give it to someone like Zegras anyways
I definitely wouldn’t say Zegres is a better all around player than Lundell. Zegres is flashier, but Lundell is a fanatic player defensively.

But, I don’t think comparing Zegres and Lundell is really fair considering that they aren’t similar players and they play different roles.

In my mind, Seider is the clear front runner with Raymond, Lundell, and Zegres in any order you want at 2, 3, and 4.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Said it since he was drafted. Barkov 2.0
Barkov did not look this good or have nearly the kind of impact Lundell has on the game right now. Granted Barkov was in the league at 2 years younger than Lundell and when he reached Anton's current age their numbers are pretty comparable offensively.

But defensively is where the big difference is. Barkov was never relied upon so much in his early years defensively. Lundell is far and away the team's #1 penalty killer, playing almost 40 seconds more a game shorthanded than Barkov does currently.

Barky has also never even come close to having 2/3's of his starts come in the defensive zone. Lundell might actually be better than Barkov defensively when all is said and done.

He's also very cerebral offensively, never particularly flashy (although his SO moves are filthy), he's just so consistent and plays an efficient game all around.

Literally cannot praise the kid enough.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He plays like Brock Nelson. Very good middle 6 centerman for Florida to pair alongside Barkov

Reactions: bsu

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Barkov did not look this good or have nearly the kind of impact Lundell has on the game right now. Granted Barkov was in the league at 2 years younger than Lundell and when he reached Anton's current age their numbers are pretty comparable offensively.

But defensively is where the big difference is. Barkov was never relied upon so much in his early years defensively. Lundell is far and away the team's #1 penalty killer, playing almost 40 seconds more a game shorthanded than Barkov does currently.

Barky has also never even come close to having 2/3's of his starts come in the defensive zone. Lundell might actually be better than Barkov defensively when all is said and done.

He's also very cerebral offensively, never particularly flashy (although his SO moves are filthy), he's just so consistent and plays an efficient game all around.

Literally cannot praise the kid enough.

I've also been thoroughly impressed. Did not expect him to have this much impact either way at this stage of his career. Looks just as ready as Barkov was at that age. The game against Jets he was dangerous every shift offensively and created a lot of the chances early on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad