C Logan Stankoven - Texas, AHL (2021, 47th, DAL)

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The same guys responsible for the great 2017 and 2021 drafts are also responsible for the 2014 and 2016 draft that gave us 0 NHL players. The 2014 draft was especially bad . They took 7 defenseman that year.

The one area of credit I will give tho is the philosophy change from the front office. In 2014/16 no shot they would pick a small player, or high skill guy, or a boom/bust type in the later rounds. They completely changed their drafting strategy which really has worked out.

This is why I think scouting is still somewhat a crapshoot. The Stars brass are getting praise for these prospects, but no shade on their misses.

No one bats 1.000.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
This is why I think scouting is still somewhat a crapshoot. The Stars brass are getting praise for these prospects, but no shade on their misses.

No one bats 1.000.
Everyone who follows the draft/prospects knows they reached on a high school player in Tufte (DeBrincat was projected to go in the Anaheim/Florida/Dallas range) in 2016 and a low offensive ceiling forward in Dellandrea in 2018. Dallas as a whole just gets less criticism and less praise because of geography, market, and convenience bias from media/fans. Glad to see they're getting more praise as of recent though

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Gaglardi was in the room when Dallas selected Wyatt Johnston 23rd overall in Round 1 of the 2021 NHL Draft.

“It was a tough decision between Logan and Wyatt Johnson,” Gaglardi said. “Our head amateur scout spent lots of time on Wyatt Johnston and that’s where he wanted to go.

“We took Johnston and I’m like, ‘Oh, that’s too bad. I guess we won’t see Logan.’ Disappointed.”

Gaglardi was unfamiliar with Johnston, in part because Canadian Hockey League play had been halted amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

“But our guys in Ontario knew him and it turned into an unbelievable pick,” Gaglardi said.

Johnston is fifth in Stars’ scoring this season, with 48 points in 64 games.

Stankoven continued to slide down the draft board, with his home-province Canucks among the clubs who passed on the Kamloopsian in Round 1.

“We had two consecutive picks in the middle of the second round,” Gaglardi said. “I knew we were taking Logan if he was there.

“I just didn’t believe until our picks came that he would be there. There he was.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad