C Logan Stankoven - Texas, AHL (2021, 47th, DAL)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Again, Stars best player, unreal good player Stanky.

How he plays catches my eye every time.

He checks, pressures, skates really well, plays a complete 200 foot game,
creates high scoring chances, gets shots on goal, oh and scores goals
and points.

He is a center though and he is playing like one, easy to see
but there is no room for that position from Stars line up atm.

4 games
3 goals
1 assist
4 points
1.00 ppg
+2
12 sog
6 hits

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Again, Stars best player, unreal good player Stanky.

How he plays catches my eye every time.

He checks, pressures, skates really well, plays a complete 200 foot game,
creates high scoring chances, gets shots on goal, oh and scores goals
and points.

He is a center though and he is playing like one, easy to see
but there is no room for that position from Stars line up atm.

4 games
3 goals
1 assist
4 points
1.00 ppg
+2
12 sog
6 hits

I think that exceeds expectations of even the most optimistic people. What a start.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I still cannot fathom how, even in a Covid draft year of 2021, a player of this caliber slipped to 47th overall.

Like, he had the pedigree for a long time before that - he was 5th overall in the 2018 WHL draft. He had 7 goals and 10 points in 6 games during the short year. Even with everything going on, the list of forwards selected before him even at the trail end of round 1 will always make me laugh.

Oskar Olausson?
Zach Dean?
Francesco Pinelli? Playing in AlpsHL?

I know hindsight is 20/20. But sometimes GMs have to get their head out of their ass and bite the bullet on a player clearly as good as this.

Dallas cleaned up in the draft again that year and have plucked two soon-to-be superstars in Johnston and Stankoven. Both of whom have had, are currently, and will continue to show immense chemistry with one another.

I believe Stank is good enough to be a black ace in a playoff run this year. Hopefully they can keep him up. I believe his upside is higher than that of Debrincat too. 80+ perennial point potential easily in my eyes here.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I still cannot fathom how, even in a Covid draft year of 2021, a player of this caliber slipped to 47th overall.

Like, he had the pedigree for a long time before that - he was 5th overall in the 2018 WHL draft. He had 7 goals and 10 points in 6 games during the short year. Even with everything going on, the list of forwards selected before him even at the trail end of round 1 will always make me laugh.

Oskar Olausson?
Zach Dean?

I know hindsight is 20/20. But sometimes GMs have to get their head out of their ass and bite the bullet on a player clearly as good as this.

Dallas cleaned up in the draft again that year and have plucked two soon-to-be superstars in Johnston and Stankoven. Both of whom have had, are currently, and will continue to show immense chemistry with one another.

I believe Stank is good enough to be a black ace in a playoff run this year. Hopefully they can keep him up. I believe his upside is higher than that of Debrincat too. 80+ perennial point potential easily in my eyes here.
Still a lot of older school GM’s and scouters preferring size over skill for the most part. The game has changed and thankfully it seems my Stars scouts have acknowledged that.

edit - Stankhoven has been a beast and had me on my feet/edge of my seat (more than I have been in a while) in just 4 games.

Last edited:

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Very happy with his first four games, still early but damn he looks good so far. He just doesn't stop. That puck jacking that lead to his goal tonight just shows his hustle.

Glad he's playing with Johnston, and can't wait for Bourque to arrive also

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
The Blazers hosted the Memorial Cup last year and wanted to keep Stank on that team. Also helped that Gagliardi owns the Stars and Blazers.
And rightfully so. Was a major event and I'm sure Logan wanted it as well. This is getting major coverage in Kamloops, this kid deserves all the best things that comes to him.

And comparisons to DeBrincat? Logan already is a better 2 way player. He'll be a 40 goal, 40-45 assist guy. He soon will already be a line driver.

Reactions: Bubbles

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
It’s a shame he hasn’t been here the whole year. I wonder how Bedard v. Stankoven for Calder would have played out.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Oskar Olausson?
Zach Dean?

Pinelli had a good 16 year old season and a good U18 tournament. He just stagnated in his 18 year old season post draft. I don't understand how Arizona took Fedotov and Doan ahead of Stankoven. Same with New Jersey taking Stillman, Vancouver taking Klimovich, Detroit taking Buium.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW

Oskar Olausson?
Zach Dean?

Aren't black aces typically the players who young call ups who practice and observe a playoff run, but don't play barring necessity?

Stankoven isn't coming out of the lineup. He's won his roster spot.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Aren't black aces typically the players who young call ups who practice and observe a playoff run, but don't play barring necessity?

Stankoven isn't coming out of the lineup. He's won his roster spot.

Yep, like Robo during their Cup run in the bubble.

Played 3 games late in the regular season but wasn't part of the playoff roster.

Stankoven's as good as a lock. Willing to bet Dallas makes another move or two before the deadline just to clear room for him, depending on the timelines for Dadonov and Seguin.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If Dallas gets bounced the opening round,(opening rd. opponents look to be Jets of the Avs) I'm hoping Stankoven gets an invite for some Team Canada action in May.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Bedard was 17 and Stankoven 19 lol.
Not to mention the quality of both of those rosters...One was hosting the Memorial Cup and was loaded with talent, the other was barely making the playoffs. Haha, what an insane argument for Stank vs. Bedard. In the playoffs Bedard put up 20 points in 7 games, while Stank put up 30 in 14. The larger sample size of regular season saw an even bigger disparity.

I agree that Stankoven is a great prospect but good lord, to put the head-to-head playoff stats on display is not right.

Overall, he is playing a complete game and I hope stays up with Dallas and into their playoff run. Awesome young prospect on an already deep Stars squad.

Reactions: GeoRox89

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Honestly may be one of the biggest deadline "adds" of any team.

He's phenomenal. And it's not just the scoring, it's his energy and commitment away from the puck as well.

I disagree with all the bellyaching about "why did Dallas not do this sooner, they wasted most of the season sticking him in the AHL"

Seriously? How can anybody see this and think to themselves "Dallas wasn't handling this right"? His first full pro season and they handled it beautifully. They didn't yo-yo him up and down for spot minutes in the NHL and trips back and forth. They stuck him on an awesome first line in the AHL and just had him soak up all the minutes getting used to pro level hockey. He got better and better...they called him up...and he's a supremely confident, adjusted, ready for prime playoff hunt minutes player.

More teams should handle their top young prospects this way.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
last year Regina played in Kamloops and Stankoven finished with 4 points and destroyed Bedards Pats while Bedard just had a goal.
Was at that game. The crowd was clearly enamoured with Bedard. As good as Stankoven is you could still tell a 17 year old Bedard was the most talented player out there despite the huge difference in team quality as well

Super happy for Stankoven that he’s had such an amazing start. Wish he’d gone to just about any other team since I really hope he has a great career. Kid will make me stop hating Dallas (Avs fan) once Benn retires

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It’s a shame he hasn’t been here the whole year. I wonder how Bedard v. Stankoven for Calder would have played out.
I actually disagree. As impressive as Stankoven is, I think a HUGE reason for him looking so good with Dallas these past few games is due to him playing in the AHL up till this point and realizing he could dominate at the pro level in the AHL.

I truly think if they decided to keep him around in the NHL from the start of the season, he wouldn't have had as impressive of a season as he has had so far as a pro.

He didn't look like he was NHL ready quite yet at start of season, and that's why he was sent to the minors... but now he 100% does

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Not to mention the quality of both of those rosters...One was hosting the Memorial Cup and was loaded with talent, the other was barely making the playoffs. Haha, what an insane argument for Stank vs. Bedard. In the playoffs Bedard put up 20 points in 7 games, while Stank put up 30 in 14. The larger sample size of regular season saw an even bigger disparity.

I agree that Stankoven is a great prospect but good lord, to put the head-to-head playoff stats on display is not right.

Overall, he is playing a complete game and I hope stays up with Dallas and into their playoff run. Awesome young prospect on an already deep Stars squad.
That was silly on my part, you're right.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
He didn't look like he was NHL ready quite yet at start of season, and that's why he was sent to the minors... but now he 100% does
Yeah, some people seem to be forgetting (or didn't watch) his very mediocre pre-season. He could've been kept in the NHL where maybe he eventually figures it out, but Nill did the smart thing to send him down and let him learn to dominate a lower, but still much harder than juniors, league first.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Oskar Olausson?
Zach Dean?

It's not that complicated. He's 5'8 and hadn't had a breakout performance yet in the CHL (only played 6 games in his draft year because of covid).

How many 5'8 draftees end up with long careers in the NHL? 5% of them? People are going to blame old scouts for being biased but the numbers aren't good.

The more interesting question is what is it about Stankoven that stands out above the rest of those little players running up the score in the CHL. What are his attributes that make it work? Is it something we can identify going forward? (Obviously D+1 things got a little more obvious).

Bedard was 17 and Stankoven 19 lol.

And this year Bedard is 18 and Stankoven 20.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Like Stankoven is pretty unlikely to be better than Bedard long term but if he is now, at this age, should we be that surprised? I don't think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad