C Logan Stankoven - Texas, AHL (2021, 47th, DAL)

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
It's not that complicated. He's 5'8 and hadn't had a breakout performance yet in the CHL (only played 6 games in his draft year because of covid).

How many 5'8 draftees end up with long careers in the NHL? 5% of them? People are going to blame old scouts for being biased but the numbers aren't good.

The more interesting question is what is it about Stankoven that stands out above the rest of those little players running up the score in the CHL. What are his attributes that make it work? Is it something we can identify going forward? (Obviously D+1 things got a little more obvious).
As a WHL rookie in his D-2 he had 29 goals, 48 points in 59 games. Good for 3rd in goals and 6th in points on the Blazers at the time. I guess he became a casualty of the short season but his early statline trended strongly with his prior season's performance.

The question of if it could translate was understandable, but I think he had done enough to have earned the benefit of the doubt. I think it was clear he played at a different pace than regular smaller skilled guys. So good at finding soft spots/pockets on the ice. Still explosive for a guy his size too.

I do wonder how far he would have fell had Dallas' owner not already had Stank playing in his Canadian backyard.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Russo reported after the draft that the players he knew the Wild liked in each round were Kent Johnson (they tried to trade up) and Stankoven. Unfortunately they left with Peart.

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Yeah, some people seem to be forgetting (or didn't watch) his very mediocre pre-season. He could've been kept in the NHL where maybe he eventually figures it out, but Nill did the smart thing to send him down and let him learn to dominate a lower, but still much harder than juniors, league first.

Seeing his play and his struggles against some of the bigger guys in preseason is the reason why I wasn't so high on him prior to his call up. He's been proving me wrong though, so I ain't mad about it. :laugh:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Another example of the Canucks missing out on talent in their own backyard.

Great pickup Dallas, the kid has a huge heart and wants the puck more than others. A pit bull on the ice.

Terrible scouts to miss on him but league wide some terrible scouting. As you stated a pit bull on the puck who also doesn't shy away from taking hits or giving hits for his size. Dallas may not have an option but to keep him up the rest of the season.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Terrible scouts to miss on him but league wide some terrible scouting. As you stated a pit bull on the puck who also doesn't shy away from taking hits or giving hits for his size.

Scouts often prefer for smaller players to be more averse to contact, not less. Every team has drafted a small player or two who didn't last because of injuries. Call it the Gilbert Brule effect.

That's not to say that they didn't screw up in evaluating Stankoven, but that his physicality wasn't seen as a plus for a reason.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I love this kid and his success is probably my favorite story of the season. Being a Habs fan, i've had to look elsewhere for good stories...

Reactions: Magic Mittens

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Stars piss me off. A franchise forward, dman and goalie in one draft and now all these other picks hitting like Stankoven, Bourque and Harley. Unfair.

Reactions: Roasted Nuts

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Stars piss me off. A franchise forward, dman and goalie in one draft and now all these other picks hitting like Stankoven, Bourque and Harley. Unfair.
Oettinger is sub-0.900 on the season.

Robertson, Hintz, Johnston, Stankoven, Bourque, Heiskanen and Harley is an utterly absurd core, though.

They still have a quite deep prospect pool with a handful of guys who could become top-half of the lineup players (looking mainly at Bichsel, Kyrou and Blumel), too.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Oettinger is sub-0.900 on the season.

Robertson, Hintz, Johnston, Stankoven, Bourque, Heiskanen and Harley is an utterly absurd core, though.

They still have a quite deep prospect pool with a handful of guys who could become top-half of the lineup players (looking mainly at Bichsel, Kyrou and Blumel), too.
I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt still for now.

I didn’t even mention Johnston…. Insane.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Who runs the Stars scouting? He’ll be a GM soon.

Joey Mac. He has been with Nill for decades, I don't think he is interested in doing anything else.

Also, drafting is a lot of luck. 3-4 years ago everyone shit on Dallas drafting.. now everyone says they are the best. Meanwhile, its the same Director, same Euro Director, Same AGM, Same GM, and mostly the same scouts.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The same guys responsible for the great 2017 and 2021 drafts are also responsible for the 2014 and 2016 draft that gave us 0 NHL players. The 2014 draft was especially bad . They too defenseman that year.

The one area of credit I will give tho is the philosophy change from the front office. In 2014/16 no shot they would pick a small player, or high skill guy, or a boom/bust type in the later rounds. They completely changed their drafting strategy which really has worked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad