C Logan Morrison - Ottawa 67's, OHL (2020 undrafted; signed by SEA)

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Watching him today, I am quite impressed. So smart but also crafty offensively. Should go in the 2nd-3rd round range.
Bulldogs fan here. I want the Flyers to draft or sign him. I know he’s a year older than Wyatt Johnston, but he is playing him even in this series. Very smart, skilled player, passing or shooting, should have an NHL career. Missed half his D year and all of D+ 1. Someone will take him.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Bulldogs fan here. I want the Flyers to draft or sign him. I know he’s a year older than Wyatt Johnston, but he is playing him even in this series. Very smart, skilled player, passing or shooting, should have an NHL career. Missed half his D year and all of D+ 1. Someone will take him.
The knock-on Morrison is a big one in today's NHL. He is not a good skater.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The knock-on Morrison is a big one in today's NHL. He is not a good skater.
Not sure where that knock comes from. His skating is good enough to keep up with other top players he's checking. He plays the last minute no matter the score, does PK and PP duty. He didn't skate as well 2 seasons ago in his aborted D season because he was thin. He's stronger now in D+2, like most guys. He'll never be a speed burner, but he's finding a way to lead one of the best Jr teams in Canada in scoring, and has scored at least a point in every playoff game he's played. Someone will take him and I really hope he gets a chance to play in the NHL.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Going to finish as an OHL champion with over 2ppg in the playoffs.
And MVP of the OHL playoffs, winning the Gretzky Award! He looked awesome tonight. So smart and creative with the puck. Solid D zone work too, they all buckled down and shut the Spits down.
Great outcome for a guy who can't skate. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
And MVP of the OHL playoffs, winning the Gretzky Award! He looked awesome tonight. So smart and creative with the puck. Solid D zone work too, they all buckled down and shut the Spits down.
Great outcome for a guy who can't skate. :rolleyes:
If he were a great skater he would have been drafted in 2020.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Enjoy your sour grape juice!

I'll have you know that I have Morrison at #62 on my final 2022 Draft Rankings.

I do not hate Hamilton, nor Morrison. Just questioning how you see his skating and think it's good? It's good enough at the OHL level, but will become a problem as he progresses through the pro ranks.

Seems like we have a sore winner here.

I have nothing but respect for Morrison and Hamilton - Windsor played a great series and I, and many other Spitfire fans are happy with what the team accomplished this year.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
f***, same thing could be said for Panarin. If he was any good, he would have been drafted. Do you think before you type?
Today I learned that Logan Morrison is the next Artemi Panarin.

If you go to the post above. You’ll see I am quite high on Morrison.

He isn’t as good of a skater, doesn’t have the vison, nor shot, nor playmaking abilities, that Panarin has like you’re suggesting - But I believe he can be a capable NHL forward sooner rather than later.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Today I learned that Logan Morrison is the next Artemi Panarin.

If you go to the post above. You’ll see I am quite high on Morrison.

He isn’t as good of a skater, doesn’t have the vison, nor shot, nor playmaking abilities, that Panarin has like you’re suggesting - But I believe he can be a capable NHL forward sooner rather than later.
I never suggested Morrison was anything like Panarin. Read my post again.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I never suggested Morrison was anything like Panarin. Read my post again.
Then why bring Panarin up?

It's ridiculous that ANY undrafted player is the next Panarin, or before that St.Louis like you're suggesting.

Is George Diaco the next Panarin too? He went undrafted.

Bad argument, is a bad argument.

When someone critiques a player, people like you - that players knights in shining armor come in and protect them at all costs. But when evaluating future talent you need to ask the question. What is going to prevent this player from making an impact at the next level? He lacks the acceleration necessary to separate himself from opposing defenders and doesn't have the greatest top-end speed to compensate for that. In short, his skating gets the job done. He also doesn't have a great shot. It is good enough at this level but he is going to have a hard time getting it off against defenders in the AHL and getting his shots by the better goalies of the AHL.

Morrison's strength has always been his hockey IQ by being in a good position to create scoring opportunities for his team. Other than his vision he isn't elite at any facet of the game, especially his skating. And that's okay because the one thing that can't be taught is hockey IQ, everything else in his arsenal can be improved upon with repetition, just like a Mark Stone or Jason Robertson. And I think Morrison projects more favourable as a lesser version of these two guys.

Last edited:

Brew

Sep 22, 2007
Then why bring Panarin up?

It's ridiculous that ANY undrafted player is the next Panarin, or before that St.Louis like you're suggesting.

Is George Diaco the next Panarin too? He went undrafted.

Bad argument, is a bad argument.

When someone critiques a player, people like you - that players knights in shining armor come in and protect them at all costs. But when evaluating future talent you need to ask the question. What is going to prevent this player from making an impact at the next level? He lacks the acceleration necessary to separate himself from opposing defenders and doesn't have the greatest top-end speed to compensate for that. In short, his skating gets the job done. He also doesn't have a great shot. It is good enough at this level but he is going to have a hard time getting it off against defenders in the AHL and getting his shots by the better goalies of the AHL.

Morrison's strength has always been his hockey IQ by being in a good position to create scoring opportunities for his team. Other than his vision he isn't elite at any facet of the game, especially his skating. And that's okay because the one thing that can't be taught is hockey IQ, everything else in his arsenal can be improved upon with repetition, just like a Mark Stone or Jason Robertson. And I think Morrison projects more favourable as a lesser version of these two guys.
The point was Morrison went undrafted, Panarin was the first example I thought of someone who also went undrafted but still made the NHL. Many players have. That was the point. Maybe next time we’ll play connect the dots instead, it may be easier for you to figure out.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
The point was Morrison went undrafted, Panarin was the first example I thought of someone who also went undrafted but still made the NHL. Many players have. That was the point. Maybe next time we’ll play connect the dots instead, it may be easier for you to figure out.
Terrible example for many reasons. Morrison and Panarin are nothing alike in regards to their play style, strength, and weaknesses. They also went undrafted for different reasons.

Panarin went undrafted due to lack of exposure, lack of size, and fear of drafting Russians at the time.

Morrison went undrafted because of bad numbers in his draft year, lower than was expected of him thus it made people believe he was an early bloomer. He also was considered undersized at 5'11 and wasn't a good skater to boot, along with a lack of consistency, physicality, and middling puck skills. There were red flags around his game. Some of which he has worked on, other that needs some more development.

Morrison is now poised to hear his name called on draft day so that all doesn't matter anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Morrison would have been drafted under normal circumstances.

Had a fine year on a bad Hamilton team, should have been a late round pick at the very worst.

Missed his entire 18 year old season, 1.5 years from the last game he played prior to his original draft to the point we saw him this year. He would have certainly been drafted last year as he would have had a big year.

This year, more than any other year in history, there will be guys who missed the past 1.5 years who will be drafted as 18/19 year olds who missed out on showing their progression over the past 2 drafts.

There are always guys who make improvements in their 19 year old seasons, but there has never been a time where players missed 1.5 years to show progression.

Morrison is the guy leading this charge, missing close to 2 years and now looking to be one of the best players in the CHL.

He will be taken by someone in the mid 2nd- mid 3rd range similar to Brett Leason or Egor Sokolov

He was already invited to the Kings development camp, if they had any picks after the 3rd round last year after trading up they likely use one on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: LT and bert

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yep. Washington did that too taking Brett Leason round 2 in 2019. He had 89 points in 55 games that year as 19/20 year old.

And many were calling him to be a first rounder, which would have been a mistake.

These types of players rarely ever pan out but some team might start looking in the late 2nd or 3rd depending on their draft strategy and depth charts.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He gave a respectfull response that was well thought out explaining his position after you were rude. Then you come back with this. Too bad you couldn't engage in a civilized discussion.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And many were calling him to be a first rounder, which would have been a mistake.

These types of players rarely ever pan out but some team might start looking in the late 2nd or 3rd depending on their draft strategy and depth charts.
These types of players pan out all the time.

Even going back to just the 2018 draft, all of Durzi, Fehervary and Perunivich were taken in the 2nd as 19 year olds are are all extremely strong picks as NHLers already.

Fagemo and Leason went in the 2nd in 2019 and look to be sure fire NHLers.

Sokolov in 2020 already playing games, along with Lohrie and Gonclaves looking like excellent 2nd round picks.

JJ Moser last year is already a top 4 D.

Not to mention all the guys taken as overagers who turned into too emd players like Hoffman, Palat, Batherson, Garland, etc. that teams would be estatic with in the 1st let alone the 2nd or 3rd.

Last edited:

Brew

Sep 22, 2007
He gave a respectfull response that was well thought out explaining his position after you were rude. Then you come back with this. Too bad you couldn't engage in a civilized discussion.
I literally never compared Morrison to Panarin outside of both were undrafted. He continued to miss my point. I don’t know how many times I needed to correct it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00