C Logan Morrison - Ottawa 67's, OHL (2020 undrafted; signed by SEA)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Pretty thrilled for him. I thought Morrison was worth taking as early as the 2nd/3rd round last year. Not the greatest skater but he's incredibly smart.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I thought he should have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2022, somehow goes undrafted for the 3rd time, plays his overage year, and steps into the A and produces pretty well so far. He was so clutch for Hamilton in their run to the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
How does an obviously talented kid like this slip through the draft multiple times? No team invests even a sixth/seventh in him? He was playing in a relatively high profile junior role and was a well known prospect. Something must have gone on behind the scenes? I'm happy that he was able to find an NHL organization and seems to be making the most of his opportunity.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
How does an obviously talented kid like this slip through the draft multiple times? No team invests even a sixth/seventh in him? He was playing in a relatively high profile junior role and was a well known prospect. Something must have gone on behind the scenes? I'm happy that he was able to find an NHL organization and seems to be making the most of his opportunity.
Dallas had him in their 2022 Development Camp and for whatever reason didn't ink him to a contract. Kind of a bummer since he has what it takes to be an above average pro hockey player.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
It perplexes me that Logan Mailloux was a 1st round pick and Mitchell Miller was still drafted but somehow, Logan Morrison, who profiled quite similarly in his D+2 to Tanner Pearson (2012 1st rounder), wasn't even drafted.

Reactions: My3Sons

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It perplexes me that Logan Mailloux was a 1st round pick and Mitchell Miller was still drafted
Weird comparison picking those 2 guys but both of them obviously projected as better prospects and still do.

Ironically Miller is now playing quite well for a very good aHL team that also has Vyacheslav Voynov on it.

but somehow, Logan Morrison, who profiled quite similarly in his D+2 to Tanner Pearson (2012 1st rounder), wasn't even drafted.
Sure it's weird but his making the NHL isn't a slam dunk either as he is behind prospects in Wright and Winterton

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Weird comparison picking those 2 guys but both of them obviously projected as better prospects and still do.

Ironically Miller is now playing quite well for a very good aHL team that also has Vyacheslav Voynov on it.

Sure it's weird but his making the NHL isn't a slam dunk either as he is behind prospects in Wright and Winterton
Read the post that I quoted. We were speculating that Morrison may have gone undrafted because of possible off ice issues unbeknownst to the public. That's why I compared Morrison (who wasn't drafted despite no known scandal and he should have been drafted) to Miller (racist abuser) and Mailloux (sexual misconduct, asked not to be drafted).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Read the post that I quoted. We were speculating that Morrison may have gone undrafted because of possible off ice issues unbeknownst to the public. That's why I compared Morrison (who wasn't drafted despite no known scandal and he should have been drafted) to Miller (racist abuser) and Mailloux (sexual misconduct, asked not to be drafted).
Fair enough, I missed that and wondered about it, but my point still stands those 2 other guys were much better prospects and projected as NHLers Morrison was more of a longshot

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Sure.

Or not, there is a huge logjam of talented younger forwards in the seattle system, much like the Sabers and it's hard to tell which ones will make it and which ones will fade away.
I think Mr Bulldogs is alluding to the fact that Morrison has continued to progress at each level and will find a sizable role eventually in the league, whether it be with Seattle or elsewhere.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think Mr Bulldogs is alluding to the fact that Morrison has continued to progress at each level and will find a sizable role eventually in the league, whether it be with Seattle or elsewhere.
Sure he could but statically speaking it's more likely that he doesn't make it with newer younger players coming in and pushing it can get crowded really fast.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How on earth did he slip through the draft twice and twist in the wind for a while before getting signed? He's a viable prospect and here he is with a call up in his first professional season.

He went through the draft 3 times unclaimed.

The first two are understandable. 49 points on a bad team in his draft year, was a fringe selection that year at best. 2nd time was the non-year with COVID where he didn't play a game so nothing really changed from being passed over once.

But after he scored 100 points and then 39 points in 19 playoff games to carry his team to the Memorial Cup and then led the Memorial Cup in scoring? It's inexplicable he wasn't drafted in 2022.

You get this Peter Griffin/Mystery Box vs. Boat thing happening where teams will take an 18 year old with 45 points in the 5th round of the draft in the hopes that MAYBE they can become a dominant CHLer in 2 years over a guy who has actually done that development and IS a dominant CHL player ready to turn pro and excel.

It will be interesting to see where Ondrej Becher goes in this draft as a similar case who has just been mutilating the WHL for the past couple months.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

The first two are understandable. 49 points on a bad team in his draft year, was a fringe selection that year at best. 2nd time was the non-year with COVID where he didn't play a game so nothing really changed from being passed over once.

But after he scored 100 points and then 39 points in 19 playoff games to carry his team to the Memorial Cup and then led the Memorial Cup in scoring? It's inexplicable he wasn't drafted in 2022.

You get this Peter Griffin/Mystery Box vs. Boat thing happening where teams will take an 18 year old with 45 points in the 5th round of the draft in the hopes that MAYBE they can become a dominant CHLer in 2 years over a guy who has actually done that development and IS a dominant CHL player ready to turn pro and excel.

It will be interesting to see where Ondrej Becher goes in this draft as a similar case who has just been mutilating the WHL for the past couple months.
Thanks for sharing that background. I hope he carves out a nice role in the NHL and then maybe some teams will learn for the next time.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

There's gotta be stuff behind the scenes that we aren't privy to. No reason tons of HS and low tier Junior A guys get drafted in 2022 while the 2nd or 3rd best OHLer (coming off of zero competitive hockey the year prior) goes undrafted again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad