C Kirby Dach (2019, 3rd, CHI)

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
He'll improve with time, and he won't be this skinny forever. McDavid was 41-43% on draws his first 3 seasons, but is up to 46% this year, and I'll bet he gets to 50%+ eventually. Many young centres start off 45% or lower, but improve over the years, faceoffs are all about veteran tricks (and man strength), guys get better at them with age. Poor reason to move a young C to the wing IMO.

Anyways, real rough stretch for Dach! Even if he's getting unlucky (haven't caught any of these games), that has to hurt his ranking. He's not great defensively (at the moment), so it's all about the offence re: his draft position.
Defensive ability is one of his biggest strengths actually, think this is the big thing those who can't consistently watch him have wrong. Almost Barkov like in his ability to create turnovers with his reach and great at forcing players with his length. Not many prospects consistently forcing turnovers at the rate he does. On top of this he is always low and supporting his defenceman in his own zone, which is why he is often the one behind the play making passes up to his streaking wingers. Easily plays the most pro style and responsible game of the big three Dub guys. Granted he has grown a ton as a defensive player from last year.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah he's generating a lot but has been snake bitten. Still think he's badly misused on the PP which doesn't help. He's really good defensively(2nd best 2way forward on the team after Wouters) so dont agree with that assessment, he is a key PKer for them.

Yeah hes heavily underrated defensively. Honestly I'd say that same about Cozens and Krebs too. They all are regular top penalty killers for their teams and defensively responsible.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Defensive ability is one of his biggest strengths actually, think this is the big thing those who can't consistently watch him have wrong. Almost Barkov like in his ability to create turnovers with his reach and great at forcing players with his length. Not many prospects consistently forcing turnovers at the rate he does. On top of this he is always low and supporting his defenceman in his own zone, which is why he is often the one behind the play making passes up to his streaking wingers. Easily plays the most pro style and responsible game of the big three Dub guys. Granted he has grown a ton as a defensive player from last year.
Ah touche. Yeah, have only seen a handful of his games and thought his defensive hustle/activity level was a bit weak, but I might have been missing some of his smarts/positioning there.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
He started off really strong but tailed off the past month or so.

Anyone know what happened?

I'd love him to keep dropping in the draft so the Oilers can snag the big 6'4 right shot hometown kid.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Are they’re any concerns he’s injury prone? Noticed even last year he missed quite a few games

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Are Dach (and Cozens for that matter) similar caliber prospects to Glass? I’ve seen the Getzlaf comparisons (minus the physicality) thrown around for both Glass and Dach as big, playmaking, potential franchise centers...would there be a distinct level of separation between them if they all maximize their upsides?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are Dach (and Cozens for that matter) similar caliber prospects to Glass? I’ve seen the Getzlaf comparisons (minus the physicality) thrown around for both Glass and Dach as big, playmaking, potential franchise centers...would there be a distinct level of separation between them if they all maximize their upsides?

Cozens is not like Glass. Much better skater, different style of offensive player. Other than being big centers from the WHL, they aren't that similar.

Dach is more similar, but he's bigger and I think he has more offensive ability. Similar level prospect, but probably a little better.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Judging by the eye test, Dach has the most pure skill of the big centers in this draft. I think only Hughes and Zegras are more electric with the puck of centers on this drive draft, both which may end up wingers.

Dach reminds me of Zibanejad.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Judging by the eye test, Dach has the most pure skill of the big centers in this draft. I think only Hughes and Zegras are more electric with the puck of centers on this drive draft, both which may end up wingers.

Turcotte and Krebs have underrated skill from my limited exposure to both of them. I can't say they are worse than anyone save Hughes it terms of pure offensive skill. There is a lot of hockey left in the season before we can start breaking out the superlatives.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Dach doesn’t play like Zib. Cozens however really reminds me of Zibanejad

Reactions: WeThreeKings

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I agree Dach has a pass first tendency, but the the way he skates, dekes, protects the puck, works the corners, and shoots (when he decides to), reminds me a lot of Zib. I wouldn’t not be surprised to see him take on a more aggressive scoring role in his future. Zib’s tendencies match Cozens but capabilities match Dach.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

There isn’t one mold of players that do well in the NHL, but is Dach’s skating really good enough? It’s not a pretty stride he has.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
There isn’t one mold of players that do well in the NHL, but is Dach’s skating really good enough? It’s not a pretty stride he has.

Skating can be improved. And Dach’s skating is not even close to as bad as Draisaitl’s was in PA.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Skating can be improved. And Dach’s skating is not even close to as bad as Draisaitl’s was in PA.

Dach’s wheels certainly have limited potential. But sure — there are always exceptions. The thing is, in the group of skaters Dach would sort under — really few even make it to the NHL. 3? 4? 5 guys in total in the NHL?

I am not sure how many really recognize how big issues he actually have with his skating. I am not sure how the Draisatl comparison is relevant? Drai was too heavy/weak muscle wise and was gassed after his first shift at that age. When playing against the best at a higher level than he was used too.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Dach’s wheels certainly have limited potential. But sure — there are always exceptions. The thing is, in the group of skaters Dach would sort under — really few even make it to the NHL. 3? 4? 5 guys in total in the NHL?

I am not sure how many really recognize how big issues he actually have with his skating. I am not sure how the Draisatl comparison is relevant? Drai was too heavy/weak muscle wise and was gassed after his first shift at that age. When playing against the best at a higher level than he was used too.

I brought up Leon because, much like Dach, he has incredible puck skills and vision - and at one point had highly questionable skating. The smart scouts saw that some strength/technical improvements would result in a fantastic NHL’er.

I feel that the same questions surround Dach and that, much like Leon, similar improvements will result in a very good NHL’er.

Yes the number of successful comparables is low - as are the number of 6’3+ players who can handle the puck and dish it like Kirby.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Seems to be hurt again, I’d say he must be dealing with a lingering issue that has potentially hampered him since his big drop off in demember.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Seems to be hurt again, I’d say he must be dealing with a lingering issue that has potentially hampered him since his big drop off in demember.
He took a puck to the neck/lower face at the end of the 2nd a couple games back but should be back quickly. Fluke injury. I do think he's playing through another injury to some degree though so the extra rest for the playoffs isn't a bad thing.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Anyone know what’s going on with him? He had like 40 points in 20 games or something, he’s only at 57 points in 50 games now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad