C Kirby Dach (2019, 3rd, CHI)

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The only team in the world that would develop Dach on RW would be the Montreal Canadiens.

It’s easy to say that and it’s easy to understand why you would say that. There’s a greater premium on centers especially at that draft position. And it’s not that he looks uncomfortable in a crowd, however, he seems enjoy setting up shop at the RW where there’s more typically space. I’m not saying he’s a clone but I see similarities to Rantanen. In all honesty, it probably also depends on what else whichever team has on its roster.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It’s easy to say that and it’s easy to understand why you would say that. There’s a greater premium on centers especially at that draft position. And it’s not that he looks uncomfortable in a crowd, however, he seems enjoy setting up shop at the RW where there’s more typically space. I’m not saying he’s a clone but I see similarities to Rantanen. In all honesty, it probably also depends on what else whichever team has on its roster.

When you have a shot at a RH C who has exceptional playmaking abilities, hands and desire to play defensive hockey. You absolutely do not move that guy to the wing unless he cannot function at the C position. Then combine that with the fact he's a 6'3+ kid? It's a no brainer to develop him at C.

Whether he enjoys setting up plays from the right side or not, most players have a preferred area to make plays from. I wouldn't use that as a catalyst to move a guy to the wing.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He’s ranked higher than cozens from what I see. What would you say separates the two?
You know I am liking Cozens the more I watch from him. He has limitations offencively and in the IQ department where I think he's getting a ranked a bit too high (or has too much hype at least), but he plays the game the right way for me - if that makes sense. He's always first on pucks, always wants to be difference maker, and has a bulldog personality.

Dach is becoming a bit less impressive for me and one of the reasons why is he normally doesn't have the puck on his stick for long. As we've seen with Rantanen, he's a catalyst force and he tends to have the puck on his stick for half of the game it seems like wanting to be a difference. I am not saying that Dach doesn't have this ability because he does, but he just doesn't do it enough for a guy his size. Another issue I have currently is that he plays well below his 6'4" frame. It could be because he is really underdeveloped physically, but the guy gets smoked in the corners that almost every other play he finds himself on his ass. It's not because he has terrible balance or anything like that, but his frame right now you'd think he is 6'1" than being 6'4". It might not be an issue once he puts more muscle on his bones, but also realise that Cozens is going to get heavier as well. Hell, I've even seen Lavoie play with more chips on his shoulder and not sure he's a lad I like in the top 10.

What Dach does amazingly well is his entire game revolves around the details similar to Ryan O'Reilly. He knows where to go, he can anticipate the play happening, his stick is always in great positioning, and creates space/plays for his teammates. For this reason, I absolutely understand why he's currently being ranked 3rd overall and why he's a pure playmaker by traits alone. He also goes to the dirty areas so don't think he's soft either, but besides the first two prospects, these remaining ones all have certain holes in their games'.

Last edited:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah that's just not true and why people need to watch his games vs highlight film. He constantly has the puck on his stick and drives the play whenever he's on the ice. He also doesn't play small at all with how hard it is to knock him off the puck most of the time. He's also getting more aggressive this year physically as he backs down from no one anymore and plays with a high level of confidence. He still needs to fill out to become a physical force like Getzlaf but he's 17 so that is a couple years down the road.

He's going to be a center and an elite one going forward. He plays the right point on the PP and I don't like it as he can never use his shot on a one timer. Him and Davidson should be flipped but it seems the coach would rather have Dach feeding Gerlach vs Davidson feeding both Dach+Gerlach.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Just like how you called Nolan Patrick the second-coming of Getzlaf, every player from the Dub is Getzlaf 2.0, Price 2.0, and Weber 2.0 for you. Yawn, you bore me.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Just like how you called Nolan Patrick the second-coming of Getzlaf, every player from the Dub is Getzlaf 2.0, Price 2.0, and Weber 2.0 for you. Yawn, you bore me.
I have watched Dach play in-person at least half a dozen times over the last year. I would agree that your assessment of Dach is off, which is surprising given that you evidently track the WHL. Responding to someone who provided a comprehensive counter argument with a flippant personal comment does not lend support to your case.

It’s not as bad as the other guy trying desperately to make a case that Dach doesn’t project as a centre given his tendency towards the right boards (?), ignoring all of the other multitudinous factors that eminently qualify him for that position.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
cool but at least I actually watch said players play other than just a highlight package. Post 732 in this thread kinda means you don't watch the WHL other than highlights or the odd sbs. You can misinform the Avs draft thead all you want but in this forum you probably shouldn't. Oh and Getzlaf ddn't become what he is until his draft+4 season even though that's just your usual shot at me which is whatever.

Prospect Info: - The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have watched Dach play in-person at least half a dozen times over the last year. I would agree that your assessment of Dach is off, which is surprising given that you evidently track the WHL. Responding to someone who provided a comprehensive counter argument with a flippant personal comment does not lend support to your case.

It’s not as bad as the other guy trying desperately to make a case that Dach doesn’t project as a centre given his tendency towards the right boards (?), ignoring all of the other multitudinous factors that eminently qualify him for that position.
I've watched him actually more and decided to make an opinion of what I see in his game. That is how I see his game currently and that doesn't mean my opinion can change - there is still a ton of hockey still left to be played. My post isn't meant as a knock against Dach, but that he does have holes in his game and prospects like Turcotte, Podkolzin, Cozens, York, and Byram among others should be right up there with him. The only two who should be locks is Hughes and Kakko as of now. Flippant personal comment? Man you're grasping at straws there when that poster exaggerates and say that I watch "highlights" instead of actual games is intended as an insult and that poster meant it as such.

I also can see the argument that Dach might not translate to a centre either, much less than Cozens, but that's something that probably won't be answered this year.

Reactions: avsfan09

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
The only team in the world that would develop Dach on RW would be the Montreal Canadiens.
If Vancouver gets him, I could see them moving him to the wing. They already have two #1C caliber players in Pettersson and Horvat (though more of a 1b/2A) and are garbage on the wing.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Vancouver gets him, I could see them moving him to the wing. They already have two #1C caliber players in Pettersson and Horvat (though more of a 1b/2A) and are garbage on the wing.

Why though?

Why not run a Toronto/Pittsburgh level riches down the middle?

Pettersson and Dach run 1/2 and Horvat does the match-up work as the 3. Then your garbage fourth line barely has to see the ice.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
Why though?

Why not run a Toronto/Pittsburgh level riches down the middle?

Pettersson and Dach run 1/2 and Horvat does the match-up work as the 3. Then your garbage fourth line barely has to see the ice.
If we got dach, he would be the eventual 1c while horvat stays elite 2c. Much rather move the 170lb guy to wing to focus on his scoring like most of his career then keep watching him take sub 45% faceoffs

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Would love for Dach to tail off and drop to wherever the Rangers pick. I’ve seen what I need to see for the most part. Sensational talent.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
If we got dach, he would be the eventual 1c while horvat stays elite 2c. Much rather move the 170lb guy to wing to focus on his scoring like most of his career then keep watching him take sub 45% faceoffs

I'm only commenting on the FO portion.... McDavids career average in the NHL is 43%, MacKinnon career 46%, Eichel 41%, Hischier 43%, etc

You realize the vets these guys are taking draws against have taken thousands of draws in the NHL... It takes most young players a while to learn. Ridiculous to knock a guy for faceoffs in his first NHL season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm only commenting on the FO portion.... McDavids career average in the NHL is 43%, MacKinnon career 46%, Eichel 41%, Hischier 43%, etc

You realize the vets these guys are taking draws against have taken thousands of draws in the NHL... It takes most young players a while to learn. Ridiculous to knock a guy for faceoffs in his first NHL season.
Matthews, Monahan, and Barkov are really the only young centers who entered the league as teenagers that were passable at faceoffs and have become good at them since 2013. Draisaitl was terrible in his half season but has become pretty good at them.

Although, the amount of faceoffs that matter is quite small. For a significant impact, it generally needs to be a clean win, which doesn't happen on all face-offs.

edit: Forgot Nolan Patrick, who was over 50% as a rookie and is around 56% this year.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He'll improve with time, and he won't be this skinny forever. McDavid was 41-43% on draws his first 3 seasons, but is up to 46% this year, and I'll bet he gets to 50%+ eventually. Many young centres start off 45% or lower, but improve over the years, faceoffs are all about veteran tricks (and man strength), guys get better at them with age. Poor reason to move a young C to the wing IMO.

Anyways, real rough stretch for Dach! Even if he's getting unlucky (haven't caught any of these games), that has to hurt his ranking. He's not great defensively (at the moment), so it's all about the offence re: his draft position.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah he's generating a lot but has been snake bitten. Still think he's badly misused on the PP which doesn't help. He's really good defensively(2nd best 2way forward on the team after Wouters) so dont agree with that assessment, he is a key PKer for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad