C Kirby Dach (2019, 3rd, CHI)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
So with today's trade, Dach appears to be the leading candidate (by far) to be the Blackhawks' 3rd line C. They also had a big press conference to introduce him to the Chicago media a few days after the draft, which kind of demonstrates that they view him as part of the roster for this season.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So with today's trade, Dach appears to be the leading candidate (by far) to be the Blackhawks' 3rd line C. They also had a big press conference to introduce him to the Chicago media a few days after the draft, which kind of demonstrates that they view him as part of the roster for this season.
He's got competition. Kurashev and Aleksi Saarela could also take that spot. There are also options currently on the roster, such as Caggiula and Shaw. Both have played and can play center.

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I don't think it would be smart... 1 more year in the WHL to fix the consistency issues.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Probably still a little bold at this point but I do think they had a potential route for Dach in mind when making the trade

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
You clearly don't watch much of Matthews.

I personally don't think Marner's hands are top in the NHL.

I literally watched Tyler Ennis do that in warmups like three times when he was with the Sabres (and I only saw him play live ~3 times)

Matthews has good hands but it's not because of that, all of these guys can do cool shit in warmups

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I don't think it would be smart... 1 more year in the WHL to fix the consistency issues.

For me it's not even the consistency, it's allowing his body to grow, and not get roughed up. Part of the reason why Nylander has struggled is he was rushed into a mens league at 18. I know Dach is a big boy, but I think the best long term plan is to send him back and let him dominate the western league and the wjc and have him ready for 2020-21.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
This is the kid I wanted back when I thought the Canucks could finish low enough to get him. I love the Thornton/Getzlaf mould of a solidly built, big playmaker. The combo of elite passing and vision along with the big body to shield the puck is just something I love in a first line centre.

How good do you Hawks fans think he can be?

Reactions: B33K33PING

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
This is the kid I wanted back when I thought the Canucks could finish low enough to get him. I love the Thornton/Getzlaf mould of a solidly built, big playmaker. The combo of elite passing and vision along with the big body to shield the puck is just something I love in a first line centre.

How good do you Hawks fans think he can be?
Improve his first step and the sky is the limit.

Realistically, however, we'd love to see him be a Mark Scheifele clone who takes a little less time hitting his ceiling (it took MS a handful of years to become a 1st line center, and we'd obviously like Dach to reach that point a bit faster).

Reactions: NuxFan09

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I literally watched Tyler Ennis do that in warmups like three times when he was with the Sabres (and I only saw him play live ~3 times)

Matthews has good hands but it's not because of that, all of these guys can do cool **** in warmups

yeah i remember chris neil doing some insane shit in warmup when i saw ottawa a few years ago

wouldnt say he has much for hands

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

He can play in the NHL right now on 3rd line duties.

I’ve seen enough of this kid live to say that if he plays like he did in the PA series, he can step in now. The real question is can he sustain 2C duties? That’s trickier.

Long term I’d want Kane on his wing to maximize that hockey IQ and passing ability. Kane should be all over mentoring this kid.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Based on the first 3 days of prospect camp - he has looked VERY good. Granted it's playing against other prospects, but the way he skates, handles the puck and shoots - those are skills that are not enhanced by weaker competition. The first 3 days of camp and tomorrow have been all battle drills, skating drills, 2 on 2's etc, there will be a scrimmage on Friday where we can see how he plays in a game.

We'll see how he does the next 2 days and then in the Traverse City tourney and training camp - but, unless he stumbles - I say he makes the team out of camp at least for 9 games before the team has to decide to keep him or send him back to Saskatoon.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Don't all the teams introduce this years #1 choice??

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Kid definitely has the size to play in the NHL this year, especially if he's centering a 3rd line and playing somewhat sheltered minutes. Wanted him on the Avs prior to the Barrie trade, feels bad.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Seems to be putting on a show today at the Hawks development camp. Look like they have a good one, but can't be mad with landing Byram. Reminds me of Getzlaf without the nasty

He's still only 18 years old too.
Agreed on Byram, gonna be a great D for a long time in the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kid definitely has the size to play in the NHL this year, especially if he's centering a 3rd line and playing somewhat sheltered minutes. Wanted him on the Avs prior to the Barrie trade, feels bad.

There are a lot of people you’ll find off the street who have the size to play in the NHL this year. I don’t think that’s ever been the main reason a prospect started in the NHL after being drafted.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
There are a lot of people you’ll find off the street who have the size to play in the NHL this year. I don’t think that’s ever been the main reason a prospect started in the NHL after being drafted.

My comment never mentions him lacking talent, it should be a given that you can play in the NHL with the right skill set. Many kids drafted this year with similar talent and not the same frame will most likely be developing elsewhere.

Reactions: avsfan09

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He should go back to junior. He needs to show night in and night out consistency at that level. He too often floats in and out of games, sometimes for multiple game stretches. No one can dispute his raw talent and skill set. He has the tools to end up the best player in this draft. Personally, I wouldn't have given him serious consideration until Hughes, Kakko, Byram, and Turcotte were off the board, but I can see where Chicago is coming from with their ranking of him. I tend to view that teams should be cautious with prospects and playing them at 18, especially if they aren't wingers. Usually, it takes a pretty elite prospect to make an impact as a center in the NHL in their D+1 such as McDavid, Matthews, and Eichel. Kotkaniemi was a good to decent 3rd liner this year. But, outside of guys who are viewed as truly special #1 overall level talents its rare to see centers in the NHL in their D+1. Barkov and Monahan did, and both have developed into very good players.

Personally, if I'm Chicago, I'll keep him until near the end of camp, send him back to Saskatoon then, let him build up steam and hopefully it leads to a strong WJC, and overall season. Then next year he can hopefully push for a full-time role as the #2 or #3 center. Similar to what was done with PLD and RyJo. If a kid has trouble finding consistency in the WHL, its a very big ask to have him find it while adapting to the NHL.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
He should go back to junior. He needs to show night in and night out consistency at that level. He too often floats in and out of games, sometimes for multiple game stretches. No one can dispute his raw talent and skill set. He has the tools to end up the best player in this draft. Personally, I wouldn't have given him serious consideration until Hughes, Kakko, Byram, and Turcotte were off the board, but I can see where Chicago is coming from with their ranking of him. I tend to view that teams should be cautious with prospects and playing them at 18, especially if they aren't wingers. Usually, it takes a pretty elite prospect to make an impact as a center in the NHL in their D+1 such as McDavid, Matthews, and Eichel. Kotkaniemi was a good to decent 3rd liner this year. But, outside of guys who are viewed as truly special #1 overall level talents its rare to see centers in the NHL in their D+1. Barkov and Monahan did, and both have developed into very good players.

Personally, if I'm Chicago, I'll keep him until near the end of camp, send him back to Saskatoon then, let him build up steam and hopefully it leads to a strong WJC, and overall season. Then next year he can hopefully push for a full-time role as the #2 or #3 center. Similar to what was done with PLD and RyJo. If a kid has trouble finding consistency in the WHL, its a very big ask to have him find it while adapting to the NHL.
It depends on what the reason for consistency is. Maybe he needs to be pushed. Personally I think Dach could play a third line role well enough. Question is whether it helps him develop faster or stagnates his offense. I would agree that WHL looks like the safer bet though but he should be given a good look at camp. If he proves he can handle it in camp keep him around and give him a shot. He can always be sent back to junior if he hits a wall.

Reactions: d rake

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
If he plays well at Traverse City, training camp and preseason games - I hope they let him start the season with the team and let him play a handful of games (less than 10) and make the decision then. If he doesn't prove too good to send back - then send him back and slide the ELC year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad