C Kirby Dach (2019, 3rd, CHI)

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The only reason he’s in the NHL is because draft position. He’s simply not there yet, that’d be a big mistake.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The only reason he’s in the NHL is because draft position. He’s simply not there yet, that’d be a big mistake.
Just because he signed an elc doesn't mean he's playing next year.

But yeah, he's for sure one year away, possibly two. Need to see him dominate at the junior level for an entire year and on a consistent basis.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
As someone who has had Dach top 4 for the entirety of 2019, he should spend another year in the WHL. I expect him to be an impact top 6 player in his Draft+2.

proqvist

May 14, 2019
Chicago
I have gone back and watched many videos of Dach after not knowing much about him before and he plays like no one I've ever seen before. ANybody have any comparables? Besides Getzlaf – I don't see that at all other than being a tall RH playmaker..

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I have gone back and watched many videos of Dach after not knowing much about him before and he plays like no one I've ever seen before. ANybody have any comparables? Besides Getzlaf – I don't see that at all other than being a tall RH playmaker..
A little of Draisaitl in him. Although he is taller and a better skater at that age. He isn't nearly as mean/nasty and his shot isn't as good.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

I see Ryan Johansson

Reactions: TopT and proqvist

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I like Kopitar myself. Rantanen is another that I can see although C vs W effects their styles. But they all use their reach and hockey IQ to control the game. They aren't necessarily bullish but they use their size effectively with puck protection and reach playing a huge part in their games. They also are very cerebral and rely more on finesse than power.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Prime Spezza. They dangle the same way.

This is the stuff that Dach does:

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I had him 6th on my board and my projection was Getzlaf with a touch less offensive potential. While I would have gone in a different direction, it wouldn't shock me if Dach became the 3rd best player in the draft, nor would it shock me if he was closer to 10. After the top two, the talent gap in the next several players was a clusterf***.

asa

Mar 3, 2014
He's damn near the mirror image of Getzlaf.

Slows down the play with the puck on his stick, finds seams like not many others.
Has great size. Wouldn't say he plays a tough game, but defitintly picks his spots and throws his weight around.
Elite offensive ability, good defensive game to compliment it.
Did I just describe Getzlaf or Dach or both?

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
I like Alex Tuch as a comparable, big fast skilled guys with good hands in tight. I think he has a higher ceiling than Tuch but style wise they are very similar and Dach is a center. I love the way both guys skate for bigger guys, Dach just needs the muscle that Tuch has which should come with time

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
How to make a Dach:

Getzlaf vision and size
Barkov/Eberle hands
Draisatl/ Getzlaf skating
RNH/ Monahan Shot

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Saying he has Barkov hands is a massive stretch... His hands are good but Barkov is easily top 5 in the league in that category.

I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you realize Dach’s hands propelled him to #3 just as much as his size and vision.

I stand by my eberle/Barkov comparison

Reactions: Dominance

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
He's damn near the mirror image of Getzlaf.

Slows down the play with the puck on his stick, finds seams like not many others.
Has great size. Wouldn't say he plays a tough game, but defitintly picks his spots and throws his weight around.
Elite offensive ability, good defensive game to compliment it.
Did I just describe Getzlaf or Dach or both?
I wouldn't call his offensive skill-set Elite, he still has to take his offensive game and skills to another level before I can use that label. Like I said in an earlier post, slightly less offensively gifted Getzlaf was my comp on him (which is still a very good player).

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
I wouldn't call his offensive skill-set Elite, he still has to take his offensive game and skills to another level before I can use that label. Like I said in an earlier post, slightly less offensively gifted Getzlaf was my comp on him (which is still a very good player).

I would argue that he has better hands and release than Getzlaf at his age.

As far as seeing the ice and hockey IQ undoubtedly he needs time for us to see him play in the NHL, because Getzlaf is elite in that respect.

Reactions: Dominance

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He'll be interesting to watch this season and moving forward. He has just enough questions in his game to make him a little risky at 3 but has a pretty high reward as well. I watched 3 or 4 games this year and in the earlier one or two I did question his compete level and he didnt seem to play with much urgency at all. The second 2 I didnt notice that and one of them he was outright dominant in a playoff game that his team won 1-0 with Dach as the only scorer.

I think he should go back to junior though. Statistically he wasnt really that dominant. He had a solid year but for a 3rd overall out of the CHL you expect more offense than that. Let him have a year to go legitimately dominate, work on his consistency and play a big role at the WJC

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Saying he has Barkov hands is a massive stretch... His hands are good but Barkov is easily top 5 in the league in that category.
He's not easily in the top 5 in the league ahha. It's very very debatable. And yes his hands are absolutely amazing. People his size aren't supposed to be that good.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
He's not easily in the top 5 in the league ahha. It's very very debatable. And yes his hands are absolutely amazing. People his size aren't supposed to be that good.

Definitely in my top 5.

Dach has magic hands himself.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Definitely in my top 5.

Dach has magic hands himself.
People who are debatable-
Crosby
Mcdavid
Kane
Mackinnon
Kucherov
Marner
Aho
Gaudreau
Petterson
Barzal
Matthews
Pasternak
Forsberg
Panarin
Kuznetsov
Ovechkin

There isn't enough serperation in these guys to say he's definitely top 5 though. Certainly behind Crosby, Mcdavid and Kane imo as well. He could be ranked top five but there are so many different assets of it that it's silly to argue about.

I think Elite is the right way to describe the potential of Dach's hands. If he continues working he will be among the best.

asa

Mar 3, 2014
People who are debatable-
Crosby
Mcdavid
Kane
Mackinnon
Kucherov
Marner
Aho
Gaudreau
Petterson
Barzal
Matthews
Pasternak
Forsberg
Panarin
Kuznetsov
Ovechkin

There isn't enough serperation in these guys to say he's definitely top 5 though. Certainly behind Crosby, Mcdavid and Kane imo as well. He could be ranked top five but there are so many different assets of it that it's silly to argue about.

I think Elite is the right way to describe the potential of Dach's hands. If he continues working he will be among the best.
Please take Matthew's off your list...Thanks

Elite shot and nothing else above average

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad