C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
17 year old season 16 year old season is kind of an iffy thing to go on about ... just one factor of many.. practically 2 points per game as a *freshly turned* (wow!) 17 year old in bchl is nothing to sniff about past that just watch him and say what you think lol. many guys in that league of any age come nowhere close.. blowing Jay O'Brien away

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
17 year old season 16 year old season is kind of an iffy thing to go on about ... just one factor of many.. practically 2 points per game as a *freshly turned* (wow!) 17 year old in bchl is nothing to sniff about past that just watch him and say what you think lol. many guys in that league of any age come nowhere close.. blowing Jay O'Brien away
2 ppg as a 17 year old is incredible, very incredible.

16 year old season vs 17 year old season in junior hockey isn't iffy, at all.

Reactions: Newfoundland

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
2 ppg as a 17 year old is incredible, very incredible.

16 year old season vs 17 year old season in junior hockey isn't iffy, at all.
It doesn't matter that much. It's a factor just like "second year of junior hockey" versus first or third. We're seeing the same thing with laf and byfield, age especially a matter of 8-12 months is just one factor of many...

Reactions: Dominance

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It doesn't matter that much. It's a factor just like "second year of junior hockey" versus first or third. We're seeing the same thing with laf and byfield, age especially a matter of 8-12 months is just one factor of many... unless I'm wrong Johnson turned 17 one month into draft year. Newhook turned 17 five months into draft year
Would you not see comparing Byfields 16 year old season and Lafreniere's 17 year old season, rather than both 17 year old seasons as an incorrect comparison?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Would you not see comparing Byfields 16 year old season and Lafreniere's 17 year old season, rather than both 17 year old seasons as an incorrect comparison?
Sorry I'm distracted watching a game right now but my example in that post was off, anyway the point I'm making is it's not necessarily "incorrect" to do that in some overt sense... just imperfect like any comparison. Guys who play different positions, different teams, different leagues, different seasons, always fun to compare but really a small part of the bigger projection picture. Next year people will compare Johnson's draft year to Dylan Holloway which will be the same thing I'm talking about. Can't stop them nor would I want to I'm just saying this is one small aspect of a massive amount of information

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Sorry I'm distracted watching a game right now but my example in that post was off, anyway the point I'm making is it's not necessarily "incorrect" to do that in some overt sense... just imperfect like any comparison. Guys who play different positions, different teams, different leagues, different seasons, always fun to compare but really a small part of the bigger projection picture. Next year people will compare Johnson's draft year to Dylan Holloway which will be the same thing I'm talking about. Can't stop them nor would I want to I'm just saying this is one small aspect of a massive amount of information

Really at the end of the day it doesn’t matter anyways because it’s all about project-ability to the NHL level. What Johnson did at 16 or 17 in the BCHL or at 18 in the NCAA doesn’t matter when comparing them to Jost or Newhook or Holloway because you’re hopefully drafting these guys for what they’re going to be at 25-26-27 and not what they are as 16/17 year olds.

Drafts are an imperfect science, I find it’s useful to compare players draft years to a certain degree but at the end of the day it’s irrelevant to how they’re going to be in relation to other NHLers. There’s so much that us watching the games don’t get to see without some connections or luck, as far as interviews/how a player trains/their mentality, etc and without the ability to see the whole picture, we’re only projecting based on a fraction of what actually needs to be considered.

We’ve all seen many a talented player fail for a multitude of reasons, often things that we couldn’t predict because we aren’t in a position to gather that information. Heck, I’m sure we’ve all played with guys that have had talent up the wazoo but a 5 cent work ethic/attitude when it comes to hockey and have played with guys with half the skill but a more successful career at various levels because they’ll do the little things to improve.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel like there's not a good comparable for this guy. Hockey players usually aren't as flashy as he makes the game look. He's also very silky with the way he plays, even when he's not being flashy. I think that'll get him drafted at least a few spots higher than he should go just because of how cool he makes the game look. Everything is easy, everything looks impressive.

But he's a really good prospect. I could definitely see top 10, maybe top 5 in 2021. And if there's a dark-horse style of 1OA candidate, it could be this guy. If he lights up the NCAA next season at over 1PPG, he might put himself into 1OA contention. 2021 isn't a draft where there's a clear 1OA.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I feel like there's not a good comparable for this guy. Hockey players usually aren't as flashy as he makes the game look. He's also very silky with the way he plays, even when he's not being flashy. I think that'll get him drafted at least a few spots higher than he should go just because of how cool he makes the game look. Everything is easy, everything looks impressive.

But he's a really good prospect. I could definitely see top 10, maybe top 5 in 2021. And if there's a dark-horse style of 1OA candidate, it could be this guy. If he lights up the NCAA next season at over 1PPG, he might put himself into 1OA contention. 2021 isn't a draft where there's a clear 1OA.
Agreed, it’s up in the air right now. It will be very interesting to see how his game translates to the much tougher structure of the NCAA.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Wow!

Kid’s got some serious skill. From what I have seen and read, in terms of pure puck skills he’s right up there with some of the best prospects we’ve seen in recent memory. He undresses defensemen and goalies regularly - it will be fascinating to see if he can pull off the same stuff in college.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He is still keeping his 2.00 ppg avg, well...almost. Kent has 68 points (25+43) in 35 games, so 2 points shy of the 2.00 ppg mark.

Trail Smoke Eaters Top 5

1. Johnson 25+43=68 (1.94 ppg)
2. Colella (20) 15+30=45 (1.15 ppg)
3. Ozar (19) 14+27=41 (1.02 ppg)
4. Lapointe (19) 14+20=34 (1.88 ppg)
5. Ghiardosi (20) 18+12=30 (0.80 ppg)

BCHL top 5

2. O'Brien (20) 15+31=46 (1.40 ppg)
3. Colella (20) 15+30=45 (1.15 ppg)
4. Ozar (19) 14+27=41 (1.02 ppg)
5. Wilson (18) 13+27=40 (1.11 ppg)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
BCHL top 5 (2021 Draft eligible)

2. Reynolds 8+17=25 (0.81 ppg)
3. Abgrall 7+15=22 (0.61 ppg)
4. Williams 7+12=19 (1.00 ppg)
5. Thornton 2+7=9 (0.26 ppg)

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Needs 4 points in his next game to reach back to 2.00 ppg.
Next game (away): January 3rd against Merritt Centennials (10-23-1-3-0 | 104-168 GD -64)
- 2 games against Merritt this season; 2 goals 8 assists, 10 points

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

He looks like an excellent prospect and has amazing skills and size already along with very good skating.

I wonder where he would slot into this current draft year?

Top 10 maybe?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Trail Smoke Eaters

Generational team name

I was born in trail, that name is 100% accurate. It’s a lot better now but the town was built at the base of a huge lead smelter it was covered in a Smokey haze 24/7. Any time you drove into town from somewhere else you could taste the lead in your mouth. My grandfather had a colt farm and they all started to die from lead poisoning.
The company is currently replacing all the land around the houses in the town because the contamination goes 3 feet into the ground.

Fun facts from trail bc...

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I was born in trail, that name is 100% accurate. It’s a lot better now but the town was built at the base of a huge lead smelter it was covered in a Smokey haze 24/7. Any time you drove into town from somewhere else you could taste the lead in your mouth. My grandfather had a colt farm and they all started to die from lead poisoning.
The company is currently replacing all the land around the houses in the town because the contamination goes 3 feet into the ground.

Fun facts from trail bc...

Yeah, real fun :)

Its good that things are slowly improving.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
this kids leading the BCHL by 20 points as a 17 year old. that's incredible. i dunno what he's going to do for an encore in the BCHL next year...he won't have much to prove. i wonder if he moves somewhere else before heading to Michigan the following year. if he wins the scoring race by say 40 points, how bad is he going to destroy the league the following year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad