C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They need him too, he'll get a lot of ice time. Assuming Beecher doesn't sign and York can stay healthy they're going to be like Wisconsin is this year, next year. Though this kid could be better than Holloway

They are also adding Bordeleau and Brisson, who are potential first rounders, along with four other guys, Portillo, Samoskevich, Truscott, Groll, who are already drafted or probably will be this season.

If York and Beecher stay, they could be very good.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
They are also adding Bordeleau and Brisson, who are potential first rounders, along with four other guys, Portillo, Samoskevich, Truscott, Groll, who are already drafted or probably will be this season.

If York and Beecher stay, they could be very good.
I hope it goes well. There are a bunch of guys there now who have just gone into a black hole (like Will Lockwood) which I hope is a trend broken with this group. Common thread being they are all talented guys who came in young, which is tough to do, but many of them still haven't even broken through as upperclassmen. One of the most impressive guys this year is one of the least heralded who took a few years of junior (Jack Becker) to simmer, a lot of guys seem to turn their noses up at that and think they can rip up college. It wouldn't be a terrible idea for some of the guys you mentioned to take another year, I like Brisson for example but he's only in his first year of junior

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Jost (eventually 10 OA) had 45 points in 46 games in his D-1.

Newhook (eventually 16 OA) had 66 points in 45 games in his D-1.

Johnson has 58 points in 31 games right now. Legitimate top-10 candidate.

I won’t say anymore on his ranking other then that I think he’s a legitimate 1st round candidate but so far out it’s tough to truly put a grade on him with less then half a season from the 16 year olds at their next level.

However, I think comparing their D-1 seasons is a little misleading, Jost in his 17 year old season had 2.17 PPG, Newhook had 1.92 and Johnson currently has 1.87. Johnson just misses the cut off by a month, I know that there’s an age gap since the other ones are born in the 1st half of the month and that has to be considered but I also don’t know that it’s fair to compare their 16 year old season to his 17 year old season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Jost (eventually 10 OA) had 45 points in 46 games in his D-1.

Newhook (eventually 16 OA) had 66 points in 45 games in his D-1.

Johnson has 58 points in 31 games right now. Legitimate top-10 candidate.
He's in his 17 year old season, not his 16 year old season like Newhook and Jost were.

He put up 46 points in 57 games in his comparable season to the ones of Newhook/Jost you listed

Last edited:
Reactions: Newfoundland

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
Because they can't have people not considered adults legally (18 years old) in the league for a multitude of reasons.
What would be the reasons? Seems to work fine over in europe why not here? The age of majority is 19 in BC, so using that logic, a player who is 18 can play in Edmonton but not Vancouver?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What would be the reasons? Seems to work fine over in europe why not here? The age of majority is 19 in BC, so using that logic, a player who is 18 can play in Edmonton but not Vancouver?
The NHL as a whole, nothing to do with any cities.

Leagues in Europe have no formal drafts, and kids just walk on to teams, and the league obviously allows guys younger than 18 to play. The NHL doesn't (as every other NA sports league doesn't), insurance being a big part.

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
The NHL as a whole, nothing to do with any cities.

Leagues in Europe have no formal drafts, and kids just walk on to teams, and the league obviously allows guys younger than 18 to play. The NHL doesn't (as every other NA sports league doesn't), insurance being a big part.
I know that, but I responded as you cited the age of majority why players in Midget can not play in the NHL, but the age of majority is not 18 in some NHL cities it is higher. If the NHL is going by the age would KK and JH not be allowed to play in Vancouver?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I know that, but I responded as you cited the age of majoirty but the age of majority is not 18 in some NHL cities it is higher. If the NHL is going by the age would KK and JH not be allowed to play in Vancouver?
No they would not be allowed to play anywhere in the league prior to being 18. Players, as a league rule, due to insurance and other different policies, need to be 18 before playing in the league.

Reactions: Newfoundland

Mercedes Benn

Aug 3, 2018
He's in his 17 year old season, not his 16 year old season like Newhook and Jost were.

He put up 46 points in 57 games in his comparable season to the ones of Newhook/Jost you listed

Except Newhook was 9 months older and turned 18 halfway through the season. Jost was 7 months older.

Reactions: Dominance

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Except Newhook was 9 months older and turned 18 halfway through the season. Jost was 7 months older.
That makes no difference, junior hockey (vast majority of all developmental hockey) is sorted by birth year, not age

They were all in their 1st year of eligibility in the league, their 16 year old seasons. Johnson is currently in his 17 year old season, in which Newhook and Jost put up 102 in 53 and 104 in 48

Mercedes Benn

Aug 3, 2018
That makes no difference, junior hokey is sorted by birth year, not age

They were all in their 1st year of eligibility in the league, their 16 year old seasons. Johnson is currently in his 17 year old season, in which Newhook and Jost put up 102 in 53 and 104 in 48
Whatever floats your boat sir. Just stated some facts. Cheers!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad