C Joseph Veleno (2018, 30th, DET) II

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Feels like Detroit needs to take their time with him to develop. I’m sure fans and management are excited to see how he fairs in the NHL, but I don’t think he’s there yet

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Seems like he's in an interesting place. His tools are clearly high end, but his results are not. Maybe he finds a little more development and becomes a scoring line player, maybe he rounds out and becomes a depth guy.
Veleno will be a depth C, and that is fine, but
Detroit really needs a blue chip C prospect.

Hopefully they'll get it in this draft.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
No points yet, but looked solid in his first two games. I still don’t think he’ll ever be a higher end offensive producer but it confirmed at the very least he will almost assuredly be a NHL regular. Cogliano seems like a decent comparable

I could see that. Was kinda hoping for a Frans Nielsen.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No points yet, but looked solid in his first two games. I still don’t think he’ll ever be a higher end offensive producer but it confirmed at the very least he will almost assuredly be a NHL regular. Cogliano seems like a decent comparable

Veleno is a Center while Cogliano is a winger. Also, Veleno seems to offer more grit than Cogliano already.

Both of Italian descent but in terms of hockey they don't seem to have much in common.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
One thought I had looking back on the '18 draft class- here were the centers taken first round:

3. Jesperi Kotkaniemi (MTL)
5. Barrett Hayton (ARZ)
13. Ty Dellandrea (DAL)
18. Liam Foudy (CBS)
19. Jay O'Brien (PHI)
20. Rasmus Kupari (LAK)
23. Isaac Lundestrom (ANA)
30. Joe Veleno (DET)

It's still pretty early, and I'm sure some players from the later rounds will impress in the coming years, but I don't think I see a bonafide 1C coming out of this draft class.

Granted, this class was always heralded more for its blueliners and wingers, but I still think that's interesting. If true, I think it'd be the only class this past decade (if you count Hertl in '12 as a 1C) without a 1C.

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
One thought I had looking back on the '18 draft class- here were the centers taken first round:

3. Jesperi Kotkaniemi (MTL)
5. Barrett Hayton (ARZ)
13. Ty Dellandrea (DAL)
18. Liam Foudy (CBS)
19. Jay O'Brien (PHI)
20. Rasmus Kupari (LAK)
23. Isaac Lundestrom (ANA)
30. Joe Veleno (DET)

It's still pretty early, and I'm sure some players from the later rounds will impress in the coming years, but I don't think I see a bonafide 1C coming out of this draft class.

Granted, this class was always heralded more for its blueliners and wingers, but I still think that's interesting. If true, I think it'd be the only class this past decade (if you count Hertl in '12 as a 1C) without a 1C.
What also sticks out to me here is I would still take Veleno before most of these guys, save for Kotka

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Unpopular opinion: I take him over any other center drafted in 18’s first round at this point.
It might still be premature, but it wouldn't shock me at all if he becomes the best center in the class. That says more about the class than him, but he's done well to become a useful middle six center probably by the end of this season or beginning of next. What a terrible draft for centermen.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nice try, but this was never explicitly said. You're taking toneless text way too seriously on the internet. Try inferring different, if you're capable.

Your poor judgment of prospects is now public knowledge in this thread. What's the old wise lesson? "Better to say nothing and provide doubt, than open your mouth and remove all doubt"?
Now let’s look at who was right in saying Veleno was a giant nothing player.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Now let’s look at who was right in saying Veleno was a giant nothing player.

is a 30th overall pick being 21st in his draft class in NHL points and 15th in games played really worth bumping a 5 year old post for to brag about him not doing much?

you must not have very many wins in those 40 thousand posts of yours if you're reaching so hard to claim this as one

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
is a 30th overall pick being 21st in his draft class in NHL points and 15th in games played really worth bumping a 5 year old post for to brag about him not doing much?

you must not have very many wins in those 40 thousand posts of yours if you're reaching so hard to claim this as one
It’s because I forgot he existed until last night when I heard his name once. Inconsequential player like I said and got lambasted for. Yeah I held receipts.

Reactions: De Montreal

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It’s because I forgot he existed until last night when I heard his name once. Inconsequential player like I said and got lambasted for. Yeah I held receipts.
Outside of the Russians taken after him, who would have been a better pick?

Also, you are calling a guy who's tied for 304th in scoring nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: le_sean

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Veleno is an odd player.

He shows flashes of potential, but can't consistently put it together. He'll randomly get into a fight and kick some guy's ass. Then 10 games later he'll score a pretty goal. 10 games later he makes an amazing pass.

I feel like the guy has so much potential and just can't put it all together. I'm starting to wonder if he would be able to do more if he has moved to wing and his responsibilities reduced.

Reactions: Realgud

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Canadian Calle Järnkrok. Underwhelming compared to hopes, but still probably gonna play a bunch of years as a versatile bottom-6 piece.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Physically has all the tools he's got good size and he's a strong skater, consistency is a problem. He needs to go to the net more often if he's going to put up more points.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I was censored for talking about the progression of Lafreniere who is almost 2 years younger than this player and his topic was closed. The moderation of this site must have a clear line. Up to what age can we talk about players here ?

Or is it an arbitrary choice of a moderator because he didn't like Lafreniere's success (and I have the impression that the site works like that) ?

Site users should have the ability to elect their moderators rather than having self-appointed moderators.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad