C Joel Eriksson Ek - Färjestad BK, SHL (2015, 20th, MIN)

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I am hoping that the Wild give him some serious consideration when they are up to bat at #20. Assuming he is still on the board of course. I haven't seen him play, but I definitely like the reports I'm reading on him. Wild management does seem to like their Swedes and Finns.

And that have given them what exactly (swedes and fins)? They should just go after the best prospect instead of looking at nationality. Eriksson Ek is not that great of a prospect anyways

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
And that have given them what exactly (swedes and fins)? They should just go after the best prospect instead of looking at nationality. Eriksson Ek is not that great of a prospect anyways

Much hate in this post. Do tell us why he's "not that great of a prospect."

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I've made several shift by shift videos on players from the 2015 draft, including Joel Eriksson Ek, just to get a gauge on his style of play.

Of course, this isn't to replace scouting, but if you haven't seen him before, this is a chance to see him. Keep in mind this isn't a highlight reel.

I hope you enjoy!

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Joel Eriksson Ek, a strapping center with the ability to dominate a game, is likely to be the first Swede picked in June. He has exceptional scoring touch for a kid whose numbers reflect his relegation to fourth line center duty after a mid-season promotion to Sweden’s senior circuit. Eriksson has very quick hands and can be an excellent finisher in scoring areas. While he has the reputation of a defensive center, Eriksson has certainly made the most of his role when it was expanded. He is very tricky with the puck and his ability to make plays despite a high degree of difficulty makes him a danger on the ice at al times.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/joel-eriksson-ek/

Had a great U18. Fought his may for more ice time in the SHL. Gotta respect that.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008

I did not say the Wild should draft him because of nationality. Simply stating a drafting tendency for them. Just an addendum of an uninteresting fact.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I like him a lot but I find it hard to project his upside. He seems to be playing a very mature game already. How much more offensive potential can you tap out of this kid? Seems like a guy that at the very least will be a good depth C at the NHL level. His game does sound pretty reminiscent of Zibanejad though.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like him a lot but I find it hard to project his upside. He seems to be playing a very mature game already. How much more offensive potential can you tap out of this kid? Seems like a guy that at the very least will be a good depth C at the NHL level. His game does sound pretty reminiscent of Zibanejad though.

If you look at old video of Zibanejad at that age.. I do not think the comparison is a good one.

Zibanejad is a much more powerful skater and he crushed people. If you think you are getting another Zibanejad with Ek I think you will be disappointed.
I also think Mika has better puck handling skills.

Both play Centre, both are Swedish, both have similar size, both are 2 way players... so if you call that similar ... fill your boots

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'd bet that him or Kylington will be the Caps' 1st pick. Just the feeling. Recaling 2013 draft and then there were very few teams that would've selected Burakovsky with the 23rd choice. Not a great numbers in the second swedish league but Mahoney went after him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
If you look at old video of Zibanejad at that age.. I do not think the comparison is a good one.

Zibanejad is a much more powerful skater and he crushed people. If you think you are getting another Zibanejad with Ek I think you will be disappointed.
I also think Mika has better puck handling skills.

Both play Centre, both are Swedish, both have similar size, both are 2 way players... so if you call that similar ... fill your boots

Yeah, I don't know. I haven't seen a lot of either guy. Just thought he plays a powerful two-way game and has a great shot. Both guys seem fairly straightforward as players.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
would have been my fourth pick with the guys on the board yet but not at all disgruntled about this pick. sounds like a Wild kind of Center so hardly a surprise and there wasn't a whole bunch of "scoring" talent left. Put some meat on those bones, though.

Rask Decisions

Don't take it too seriously
Jul 6, 2006
Keansburg NJ
Why 'top' only 40 points? From the stuff I am reading, it gives me a sense he can be within the 50ish range.

I'm just not seeing anything that really wows me. The fact that opinions seem to be all over the board is a little worrisome to me.

If nothing else, we're talking about the Wild. A Minnesota jersey sure feels like it's worth a 20 point drop sometimes. ;)

XO

Nov 4, 2009
next Carl Söderberg

will make it to the NHL in one way or another

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm just not seeing anything that really wows me. The fact that opinions seem to be all over the board is a little worrisome to me.

If nothing else, we're talking about the Wild. A Minnesota jersey sure feels like it's worth a 20 point drop sometimes. ;)

I wish I could refute, but I don't think I can. And that hurts.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I know very little about Ek (nice short last name) except what I've read. There's not much consensus between scouts other than making him sound like a speedy Swedish Mikko 2.0. Also something about working hard in all 3 zones. I hope that's not scout speak for "you got yourself a grinder". Actually for a 20th pick, he's got size, smarts and seems willing to do what it takes to get better.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad