C Joel Eriksson Ek - Färjestad BK, SHL (2015, 20th, MIN)

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I've recently seen people talking a lot about guys like Filip Ahl, Alex Dergachyov, Roope Hintz hoping that their team selects one of these guys and saying that they are all rocketing up the rankings away from relative obscurity and into mid-to-early second round rankings right now.

Not that I disagree in the least mind you, those players are pretty good and all have potential; it's just that I find it weird (and crazy) that a guy like Joel Eriksson Ek isn't getting the same treatment as far as prospect talks go as those other players despite his numerous qualities (good size, tremendous shot, good overall skill level, good skating, good competitiveness, underrated defense, etc.), good production at the J20 level in Sweden and the fact that he is currently gaining experience on the fourth-line playing against men in the SHL.

For those wondering, the mid-term TSN rankings have Joel Eriksson Ek at the 43rd place and ISS has him at #30, but NHL Central Scouting has him as the 22nd european skater (solidly into at least the third round if both lists were combined), FC has him at #70 and THW have him at #73.

If you want more information, here is his Eliteprospects.com profile
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=139633

With all of that said, Joel Eriksson Ek is in my mind the single best forward prospect from Sweden this year and certainly deserves some love on this board, so bring it on. :yo:

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
European junior leagues aren't well scouted generally by free or public agencies.

I wholeheartedly agree, but I think his performance and the talent he exhibited at the U18 WC for Sweden should have warranted a small degree of attention from all manners of public and free scouting agencies at the very least.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What are knocks on this guy? The eliteprospects report makes him sound like a top-10 pick: size, skating, hands, shot, defensive ability, offensive creativity... What's the knock?

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
What are knocks on this guy? The eliteprospects report makes him sound like a top-10 pick: size, skating, hands, shot, defensive ability, offensive creativity... What's the knock?

I haven't seen too many of his games (U18 + 4-5 games of Färjestad) so it might distort my perception of him a bit, but I just don't see many glaring flaws on his part, only small things that should improve with experience and good coaching (still raw, must bulk up a bit, tendency to overcomplicate things, tends to take too much time to get his shot off, etc.) and wonder at times why he's not even in contention as of now to be in the first round. It might only be me, but I think he has the potential to be a very good second-liner (borderline first) in the NHL.

So, I'd say that his status as a prospect is both helped (with less exposure his potential warts, which I have not spotted in my limited viewings, might be less apparent) and negatively impacted (unknown thus no recognition) by that lack of exposure and that it is the biggest knock going against him that I can think of right now.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I haven't seen too many of his games (U18 + 4-5 games of Färjestad) so it might distort my perception of him a bit, but I just don't see many glaring flaws on his part, only small things that should improve with experience and good coaching (still raw, must bulk up a bit, tendency to overcomplicate things, tends to take too much time to get his shot off, etc.) and wonder at times why he's not even in contention as of now to be in the first round. It might only be me, but I think he has the potential to be a very good second-liner (borderline first) in the NHL.

So, I'd say that his status as a prospect is both helped (with less exposure his potential warts, which I have not spotted in my limited viewings, might be less apparent) and negatively impacted (unknown thus no recognition) by that lack of exposure and that it is the biggest knock going against him that I can think of right now.

Thanks for the response; sounds like an interesting kid and I'll keep my ears open. :)

sweranger

Jul 3, 2012
I really like this kid. He has a lethal shot that will fool a lot of goalies in the future and he's a fast skater. He needs to work on his strenght though, but I could really see him as an early second rounder around 40-45. Maybe even higher if a team really loves him.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I really like this kid. He has a lethal shot that will fool a lot of goalies in the future and he's a fast skater. He needs to work on his strenght though, but I could really see him as an early second rounder around 40-45. Maybe even higher if a team really loves him.

Agreed. Watched his game today against Linkoping, looks as good as any forward out of Europe behind Rantanen. The only negative that jumped out was that he really could add strength as you've mentioned, seemed to be getting knocked around a little bit and tailed off towards the end of the game. Very solid showing though.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I cannot remember where but I've heard he's a poor skater. Hearing here that he's actually a good skater makes me question my sanity... (Never seen him play)

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Anyone know why this guy isn't gaining momentum as a late first rounder? Sounds like a very impressive prospect with a full package kind of player.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
If the Leafs don't pick up a second rounder before the end of the first at the draft, and Nashville lands us in the 28-30 range, I can see Thommie Bergman wanting to pick him with Nashville's pick.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
If the Leafs don't pick up a second rounder before the end of the first at the draft, and Nashville lands us in the 28-30 range, I can see Thommie Bergman wanting to pick him with Nashville's pick.

I agree as long as they draft Hanifin/Werenski/Provorov with their pick. But if it's McDavid/Eichel/Strome/Marner than I expect them to pick a Winger/Defenceman with the NSH pick. This guy seems like a bonafide Centre to me

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Ranked #21 in ISS march ranking. Guy is probably picking up some steam. Can see a team with good swedish/european scouts picking him late in the 1st, Detroit anyone?

sweranger

Jul 3, 2012
Ranked #21 in ISS march ranking. Guy is probably picking up some steam. Can see a team with good swedish/european scouts picking him late in the 1st, Detroit anyone?

Yeah, this guy screams Detroit to me. If he's available when Detroit is on the board, I really believe he'll be a Red Wing.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
No not detroit. To much deeph among forwards already and they are not exactly famous for giving young player a chance, more famous for holding on to old medicore players. But sure Zetterberg and Datsuyk is getting older, but they both can probably play for another 5 years or so.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Yeah, this guy screams Detroit to me. If he's available when Detroit is on the board, I really believe he'll be a Red Wing.

I really want the Wings to draft him now (and I've never seen him play).

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
They moved two Swedes who didn't fit into the organisation, I wouldn't take that as a sign that they're moving away from Swedes altogether.

Also Jarnkrok, they have been having difficulties getting Swedes to mesh with Grand Rapids, that has to start to influence drafting habits. As Grand Rapids is not the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad