C Joel Eriksson Ek - Färjestad BK, SHL (2015, 20th, MIN)

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
And Buffalo will move away from Canadians and Americans because of Brendan Lemieux.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
Can any swedish posters comment on his play after being called up to SHL Farjestad this season? He played very well for the U20 team and impressed me in the five nations. What line is he on? any PP time?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Can any swedish posters comment on his play after being called up to SHL Farjestad this season? He played very well for the U20 team and impressed me in the five nations. What line is he on? any PP time?

Not Swedish but I do watch a heck of a lot of the SHL, and have seen him play ~7 game this year.

He has been playing 4C mainly, getting around 9 minutes a game.

His special teams play has been non existent outside of a few games on PP2.

But he is a draft eligible player in arguably the 3rd best league on earth. He has played well when I have seen him, very intelligent player, good D, has great offensive skills, good skater.

Most years I think he would be a 1st round pick... I mean he could still go 1st round, but I think he is more likely a 2nd rounder.

He along with Juulsen and Meier were my three favourite 'sleeper' picks coming into the year (Meier was a projected 2nd rounder, Juulsen and Eriksson Ek 3rds)... fair to say none are sleepers anymore.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Haven't seen this player live, but from what i've read, he could be a big time steal in this draft. It's consensus among reports that this guy has a lethal, pro-level shot, coupled with great skating. Eliteprospects and FutureConsiderations say he possesses good vision, too.

Great skater, tremendous shot, good vision; what more could you ask for from a 6'1" centre prospect already playing in a top 5 league world-wide? Late first round/early second round pick sounds about right to me (due to lack of exposure/playing time).

whlscowt

Thanks for posting.

Appears to have some nice instincts and a well rounded game to him. Looks like he needs to add considerable strength to his lowerbody, though. Also, for those that have seen him, how are his hands? They look pretty choppy in the video.

He has no dangles, which is why I find him and his play style in the junior leagues/tournaments so interesting. He gravitates to the front of the net and tries to over power kids but at times he's kind of stuck because he can't do anything in tight. He wasn't doing in the mens league though. I think he figured out quick he couldn't. He's actually really strong though. He displayed it a bit in this video, but I've seen him run through smaller kids to get goals. Like fling them and the puck in the net. What's fascinating, he plays really well on the perimeter and has a helluva shot, and yet he still loves to chase the puck in the nasty areas. In some ways he reminds me of young Mark Stone because of his hands, shot, and his propensity to find scoring chances. He has a lot going for him but there are a few things that I think will hold him back, at least from being a first rounder. But you never know, some team could fall in love with him.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Love his size, energy, skating ability... just works his ass off, great energy and battle for pucks along the boards and good skater. Great work rate and motor. Competes for everything.

One thing I question is his low assist totals throughout his career. He always has more goals than assists at various levels he has played, is he going to be able to create at a consistent level at the next level or is he going to be an energetic third liner that can chip in offensively. Love him for what he brings but I think that is a valid question.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I liked his game today vs Canada. He showed good patience out-waiting the goalie and defenseman on his goal. Was crashing the net regularly and in on many scrums. High energy player for sure.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Sounds like Jacob De La Rose.

Very, very different type of player. Not sure where all this "plays with a lot of energy" talk comes from. Eriksson Ek relies on his smarts and isn't physical or "relentless" at all. He's closer to Wennberg in terms of style.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Very, very different type of player. Not sure where all this "plays with a lot of energy" talk comes from. Eriksson Ek relies on his smarts and isn't physical or "relentless" at all. He's closer to Wennberg in terms of style.

I was thinking Zibanejad?

arsmaster*

Yeah, all I'm going on is the highlights against Germany (haven't had time to watch the Canada game yet), but he didn't appear relentless at all.

Not that it was a bad thing, he looked incredibly patient and in control, almost methodical. Hard to gauge anyone off of highlights though especially highlights against Germany.

Stiltzkin*

I'm bumping this since he's from my hometeam :)
how does the 1st round order look like right now? :)

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I'm bumping this since he's from my hometeam :)
how does the 1st round order look like right now? :)

I am hoping that the Wild give him some serious consideration when they are up to bat at #20. Assuming he is still on the board of course. I haven't seen him play, but I definitely like the reports I'm reading on him. Wild management does seem to like their Swedes and Finns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad