C Jansen Harkins - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2015, 47th, WPG)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets with another killer draft. Harkins at #47 is fantastic. He'll fit in with the Jets perfectly.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Just looking for any information someone may have on Harkins. Expectations, performance, outcome.

Thanks

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Less points the year for a mediocre/low-scoring team. But he increased his primary points and scored 4 more goals. Definitely not a passenger. Fit in quite well in his 6 games with the Moose, as well. Happy with his development. He'll spend another year in junior.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just looking for any information someone may have on Harkins. Expectations, performance, outcome.

Thanks

Didn't take a step forward at all, and would probably be a 4th-5th rounder if you re-did that draft.

Skating is a major issue. Simply nothing dynamic about his game. Solid enough all-around player but right now he's tracking like an AHLer or maybe as a bottom-6 center.

At the time of his draft, I thought maybe he had Paul Stastny-type upside ... however, after the season he had this year I think that ship has somewhat sailed. Needed to take a big step forward to start meeting that projection and did the opposite.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Less points the year for a mediocre/low-scoring team. But he increased his primary points and scored 4 more goals. Definitely not a passenger. Fit in quite well in his 6 games with the Moose, as well. Happy with his development. He'll spend another year in junior.

Didn't take a step forward at all, and would probably be a 4th-5th rounder if you re-did that draft.

Skating is a major issue. Simply nothing dynamic about his game. Solid enough all-around player but right now he's tracking like an AHLer or maybe as a bottom-6 center.

At the time of his draft, I thought maybe he had Paul Stastny-type upside ... however, after the season he had this year I think that ship has somewhat sailed. Needed to take a big step forward to start meeting that projection and did the opposite.

Two completely different answers. Pretty sure the comparisons I was seeing for Harkins was a "Krejci-lite" kind of player. Interesting that he stuck pretty well in Manitoba.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Definitely not a big step forward in his draft+1 year, which is a concern.

But it's definitely early to write him off. He was actually surprisingly good at the AHL level later in the season.

He needs to get another step or two in his skating. He is a very smart player that will figure out how to play. He'll need to have the jump to make it work at the NHL level. The jury is still out, for me.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Two completely different answers. Pretty sure the comparisons I was seeing for Harkins was a "Krejci-lite" kind of player. Interesting that he stuck pretty well in Manitoba.

To be clear, he's a very good two-way WHL center. I just don't see anything at all dynamic in his game that can project him as a 2nd-line type in the NHL. And his skating is a concern.

PG also wasn't a low scoring team - the were 9th of 22 teams in the WHL offensively. Harkins was often on a 2nd line, though, which did impact production - but it's a chicken/egg thing where if he was more dynamic, he probably would have received more prime minutes. A 22-point drop in scoring in your draft +1 year when your team gets much better and scores more is concerning.

At this point, a Kyle Brodziak-type #3 center would probably be a reasonable upside.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Apparently he had very little secondary assists, though I didn't watch any of his junior games. But yeah he was decent in his short stint with the Moose.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
He was moved from a big time offensive 1C role last season to more of a tough minutes defensive 2C role this season. Unfortunate that his scoring went down but he still scored well given his usage and there was a fair measure of bad luck (lack of 2A's) involved.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Already 6 years from his draft and manage to play in 55 nhl career games in this time span.

Someone who follows Jets more closely will be maybe willing to clarify his development or what type of a player did he become? Does he possibly still have any other room to get better left?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Has not been able to crack a deep Jets forward group as a regular NHLer. He should be a regular next season.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
He's definitely still got the potential to be a permanent 3rd line fixture somewhere, although he's probably the next Jet to force his way out because he can't crack the top-6, and may not like a checking role on the 3rd line (which Maurice loves to run). If we ran 3 scoring lines, this would never be a problem.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I think Harkins is still very much in the Jets plans. Suffers from Maurice's stupidity toward young players ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad