C Jansen Harkins - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2015, 47th, WPG)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Surprised to see he doesn't have his own dedicated thread, so I figured I would start one. I think he's got the potential to be a first round pick in a very deep draft in 2015.

Plays the game with elite-level hockey sense and has good size. The Cougars have lost a ton of offence and depth up front from last year and he will be left alone on a bit of an island this year as the clear top forward on the team. I think that will ultimately end up being a good thing for his draft status, as scouts will be able to tell just how much he can handle as a young player.

Right now I would probably rank him inside my top 5 WHL skaters for the draft and is a legit threat to be a first rounder.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Surprised to see he doesn't have his own dedicated thread, so I figured I would start one. I think he's got the potential to be a first round pick in a very deep draft in 2015.

Plays the game with elite-level hockey sense and has good size. The Cougars have lost a ton of offence and depth up front from last year and he will be left alone on a bit of an island this year as the clear top forward on the team. I think that will ultimately end up being a good thing for his draft status, as scouts will be able to tell just how much he can handle as a young player.

Right now I would probably rank him inside my top 5 WHL skaters for the draft and is a legit threat to be a first rounder.

Mark my words, he will have 70-80 points and go late first round!

arsmaster*

I've posted about him before. Big fan.

Good two way game.

I don't agree he'll be alone up front this year but I think you just meant he'll be leaned on a lot which I agree with.

He could stand to be a bit more chippy but I'm impressed with his position and sense on both sides of the puck. Seems to be a player coaches like.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I've always raved about his hockey sense, vision, and two-way play. I haven't really heard from anyone that doesn't like him. Looked like he could've been a bit more explosive at the U18 Camp this Summer, but he wen't on to have great success at the Tournament. Have him as a early 2nd rounder right now.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I really think he's a great player with lots of talent but what's with his skating? I looks so incredibly awkward, the way he's bent over whenever he's on the ice. Doesn't seem to influence him at all but it looks weird. If they played without jersey numbers and you watched the game on tv not really seeig much, you'd still know who Jansen Harkins is.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Saw him tonight. Really encouraged by the steps forward I have seen. He looks very strong, upper-body strength is great and I believe firmly he has another inch or two of growing left, and of course a lot of mass adding. Going to be a big, skilled, two-way forward. Has moved into the first round for me.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Saw him tonight. Really encouraged by the steps forward I have seen. He looks very strong, upper-body strength is great and I believe firmly he has another inch or two of growing left, and of course a lot of mass adding. Going to be a big, skilled, two-way forward. Has moved into the first round for me.

Watched along online and felt he was good as well. He's a definite 1st rounder for me.

I continue to be going back and forth on my own board on how to rank Merkley, Bittner and Harkins. Should be an interesting battle at the top of the WHL rankings the rest of the way.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Watched along online and felt he was good as well. He's a definite 1st rounder for me.

I continue to be going back and forth on my own board on how to rank Merkley, Bittner and Harkins. Should be an interesting battle at the top of the WHL rankings the rest of the way.
For me it's:
1. Merkley
2. Harkins
3. Bittner

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Who does he compare to in the NHL? What does he project as? A responsible two-way C playing 2nd line minutes?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I like this kid in the very limited viewings I've seen. He seems l be very well rounded.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Who does he compare to in the NHL? What does he project as? A responsible two-way C playing 2nd line minutes?

second line player type of potential. wins faceoffs does everything, upside seems like a second line player. all scouting reports have him in either late teens to mid 20's.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I expect Detroit to draft this kid. He's completely their type of player.

He's a random Euro who comes out of nowhere after being drafted outside of the first 2 rounds and absolutely dominates the AHL before doing the same in the NHL? :sarcasm:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Apparently he's born in Ohio, Hometown is North Vancouver. Did canada take another American away?

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Interesting projection with this one... it's hard to say, he does soo many of the little things right, along the boards, around the net, managing the puck, hockey sense, little greasy 50/50 battles he always seems to win and he always makes a great play around the net, behind the goal line or within 10 feet of the crease.. but ultimately his skating is going to limit him in being an offense driver for his team at the NHL level you have to have that explosiveness and pump to generate off the rush and in the neutral zone, he will be able to chip in just fine but he is never going to be an elite offensive player because of this. A solid estimate might be a very solid third line centre that contributes in every area of the game.

Wang Gretzky

Nov 8, 2013
Apparently he's born in Ohio, Hometown is North Vancouver. Did canada take another American away?
he basically grew up here his dad ran and coached at North Shore Winter Club since he was around 7, so the kid was basically developed in Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad