C Jansen Harkins - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2015, 47th, WPG)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Interesting projection with this one... it's hard to say, he does soo many of the little things right, along the boards, around the net, managing the puck, hockey sense, little greasy 50/50 battles he always seems to win and he always makes a great play around the net, behind the goal line or within 10 feet of the crease.. but ultimately his skating is going to limit him in being an offense driver for his team at the NHL level you have to have that explosiveness and pump to generate off the rush and in the neutral zone, he will be able to chip in just fine but he is never going to be an elite offensive player because of this. A solid estimate might be a very solid third line centre that contributes in every area of the game.

Agreed... scouts that watch him really notice all those aspects that he excels at. Also the kid is a born leader and will be the captain of his team next year at 18 years old. I think he is going to turn into an extremely solid NHLer. Never flashy but is solid in all aspects. Agreed he needs to keep working on his skating and I am convinced it will come. I can see him getting drafted late 1st round to one of the better NHL teams and in a couple years everyone will wonder how one of the better teams lucked out and had Harkins fall to them

snizzbone*

Dubas of the Leafs was in Prince George watching him recently.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Will Harkins crack the 1st round? I personally think he's first round cailber, but is it likely?

I'd say there's a 75% chance he cracks the 1st.

That might seem high based on some of his projections in rankings but seemingly "raw" players like him don't come along all that often. He has so much working for him:

- Size
- Vision
- Smarts
- 200 ft game
- Bloodlines

Then you mix in the fact that he's put up very strong numbers on a below average team?

Some team will take him in the 1st round.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Will Harkins crack the 1st round? I personally think he's first round cailber, but is it likely?

I think that's he's as much a lock to go first round as anybody outside of the top 8 or 9 prospects.

Harkins has really poured it on offensively since the turn of the year, and has maintained his penchant for smart all-around play while doing it. Teams love guys who are on upwards trajectories heading into the draft, and he's easily the best player on his team this year as an 18-year old.

I think the intensity level could go up a bit, but he's never going to be a bigtime physical player, that's just not his game. And that's perfectly fine because he makes do with some high-level decision-making skills.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for the responses. I wouldn't mind the Sabres grabbing him with their second 1st rounder (if they still own it on draft day)

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
If you contrast his production with that of his teammates his season is even more impressive. He has 77 points, with the next highest point totals being 61, 43, 39, and 34. Considering Prince George has scored a paltry 192 goals this year, that is extremely impressive production.

I expect him to be taken in the 15-25 range, but would love for the Leafs to get him with the Nashville selection.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

That might seem high based on some of his projections in rankings but seemingly "raw" players like him don't come along all that often. He has so much working for him:

- Size
- Vision
- Smarts
- 200 ft game
- Bloodlines

Then you mix in the fact that he's put up very strong numbers on a below average team?

I wonder if the Jets might eye him with their late 1st rounder.

My main question is whether his skating will hold him back. The Jets really favour speed. Having said that, Lowry wasn't seen as a good skater in junior, but he's really improved and his skating is fine now.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I wonder if the Jets might eye him with their late 1st rounder.

My main question is whether his skating will hold him back. The Jets really favour speed. Having said that, Lowry wasn't seen as a good skater in junior, but he's really improved and his skating is fine now.

He may be gone before our early pick IMO.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
As someone already mentioned, wouldn't surprise me if the Wings draft him (if he's there in the 20's). Big 2 way center with seemingly more offensive upside than Sheahan. Could have Larkin-Sheahan-Harkins-Holmstrom down the middle in a few years.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I haven't seen Jansen since he was a kid. Knowing his dad and his own work ethic, attention to detail, and toughness, I would have no problem the Canucks taking him.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Considering his well-rounded game and point totals on a mediocre team, this guy has almost no hype. It wouldn't be out of the realm of believability to think that he could be this year's Horvat. Seems like a solid bet to be a good #2C.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

- Size
- Vision
- Smarts
- 200 ft game
- Bloodlines

Don't forget that he is among the younger prospects available, with a late May birthday. He has anawesome upside. I could pnly hope he's still there at the Nashville pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad