C Jacob Perreault - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2020, 27th, ANA, traded to MTL)

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
He almost exclusively has played wing this season and projects as a winger going forward.

No points in today’s game and continues to be tied for second in OHL rookie scoring behind Rossi.

Good, so I wasn't going crazy. Could have sworn he was playing on the wing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He almost exclusively has played wing this season and projects as a winger going forward.

No points in today’s game and continues to be tied for second in OHL rookie scoring behind Rossi.

He's not yet in his draft season. It doesn't matter where he plays. There are players who don't play much center in junior that play center in the NHL because thats what their skillset dictates. He's played center before, and plays the position well. Good 200 foot game, powerful skater and physique.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Trapper9

Aug 2, 2005
His Dad was one of the best face-off men I've ever seen. also had an underrated offensive game.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I know it’s the middle of summer, but I really think this kid should be getting way more talk. His shot is the thinnest of shades away from being on the level of Kaliyev’s, and he does pretty much everything else better. I struggle to see how he isn’t unanimously ranked inside the first round at this point. He’s definitely one to watch for next year, he could have a monster of an offensive season.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I know it’s the middle of summer, but I really think this kid should be getting way more talk. His shot is the thinnest of shades away from being on the level of Kaliyev’s, and he does pretty much everything else better. I struggle to see how he isn’t unanimously ranked inside the first round at this point. He’s definitely one to watch for next year, he could have a monster of an offensive season.
Is he not a consensus 1st round pick?

If not, he certainly should be. 30 goals and basically a ppg in the OHL as a rookie is very good.

AuVetShkine

Aug 2, 2018
Is he not a consensus 1st round pick?

If not, he certainly should be. 30 goals and basically a ppg in the OHL as a rookie is very good.

He had the potential not only to go at the Hlinka, but to do well there. If he had, combined with his rookie season, he'd be in everyone's top 20 by now. And not only he missed an opportunity to have some exposure for himself, some that did get exposure and shined kinda bumped him down. Still early. A whole season ahead for him to make his way back.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
35 points in 25 games. Draft range should be somewhere around top 20. Projects as one of the better scorers in this draft. Great shot, very skilled, surprisingly good playmaker. Good skater and might be able to stick at center. If not, you have a guy who projects as a 1st line winger or high-end second line winger.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
35 points in 25 games. Draft range should be somewhere around top 20. Projects as one of the better scorers in this draft. Great shot, very skilled, surprisingly good playmaker. Good skater and might be able to stick at center. If not, you have a guy who projects as a 1st line winger or high-end second line winger.

One I'm keeping an eye on for the Hurricanes two 1st round picks. Canes need right handed scorers and I'm sure they are keeping tabs on Sarnia with Rees on the team.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I heard he wasn't a great skater however he ranked :
30M Forward Skate:
1 – Jacob Perreault (Sarnia Sting)
2 – Jean-Luc Foudy (Windsor Spitfires)
3 – Thimo Nickl (Drummondville Voltigeurs)
30M Forward Skate with Puck:
3 – Jamie Drysdale (Erie Otters)
Weave Agility:
1 – Dawson Mercer (Chicoutimi Sagueneens)
2 – Jacob Perreault (Sarnia Sting)
3 – Jean-Luc Foudy (Windsor Spitfires)
Weave Agility with Puck:
2 – Quinton Byfield (Sudbury Wolves)
Transition Agility with Puck:
1 – Jean-Luc Foudy (Windsor Spitfires)
2 – Dawson Mercer (Chicoutimi Sagueneens)
3 – Jacob Perreault (Sarnia Sting)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I heard he wasn't a great skater however he ranked :
30M Forward Skate:
3 – Thimo Nickl (Drummondville Voltigeurs)
30M Forward Skate with Puck:
3 – Jamie Drysdale (Erie Otters)
Weave Agility:
1 – Dawson Mercer (Chicoutimi Sagueneens)
2 – Jacob Perreault (Sarnia Sting)
Weave Agility with Puck:
2 – Quinton Byfield (Sudbury Wolves)
Transition Agility with Puck:
1 – Jean-Luc Foudy (Windsor Spitfires)
2 – Dawson Mercer (Chicoutimi Sagueneens)
3 – Jacob Perreault (Sarnia Sting)

I just wrote a report on Perreault for McKeens.

OHL: Jacob Perreault, RW, Sarnia (2020)

Basically, he is a terrific skater, however he doesn't take full advantage of his gifts. I think some of that is confidence related. Turnovers in the neutral zone from deferring or failing to continue to move his feet are an issue. He could be just as good and as aggressive as Foudy at gaining the offensive zone and leading the charge, yet that part of his game is inconsistent. But he is definitely a quality skater.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I just wrote a report on Perreault for McKeens.

OHL: Jacob Perreault, RW, Sarnia (2020)

Basically, he is a terrific skater, however he doesn't take full advantage of his gifts. I think some of that is confidence related. Turnovers in the neutral zone from deferring or failing to continue to move his feet are an issue. He could be just as good and as aggressive as Foudy at gaining the offensive zone and leading the charge, yet that part of his game is inconsistent. But he is definitely a quality skater.
My initial thought is that being on a terrible team will probably cause him to extend his shifts and coast to preserve his energy. i would hazard a guess playing 40 second shifts would fix that. At least he knows how to change speeds, Michael McLeod never figured that part out.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
thoughts on him being able to be a C at higher levels? He seems to have the skating, and OK size.

McGilliScout

Apr 12, 2020
His playmaking is underrated. Perreault is a sneakily good passer.

Agreed. He has has a very nice combination of playmaking, shooting and skating. He would have put up a lot more points on a better team.

I'm surprised to see him drop in a lot of rankings. He should have been a first rounder at the start of the year and I say he had an impressive enough season to maintain that position, yet I see him slipping into the second.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I wish Perreault would try harder most nights, some nights it looks like he doesn’t care and it’s rather unfortunate, hopefully he fixes it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
One of my favorite players in this draft. All he does is put up points. He does that with a significant amount of puck skills, an elite shot, and very underrated playmaking. No significant weaknesses in his game that will be definite weaknesses at the next draft. Might even be able to play center in the NHL.

I think he has some of the highest upside of a player that'll be picked after the top ten. You know he's going to score, the skating is controversial depending on how you assess it, as is his compete level. If he can sort out his skating, compete level, and he can stick at center, I think he's a potential 1B/2A type of center. I also don't think those are outrageous asks. I don't see any of them as all that unrealistic with a few more years of development.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
One of my favorite players in this draft. All he does is put up points. He does that with a significant amount of puck skills, an elite shot, and very underrated playmaking. No significant weaknesses in his game that will be definite weaknesses at the next draft. Might even be able to play center in the NHL.

I think he has some of the highest upside of a player that'll be picked after the top ten. You know he's going to score, the skating is controversial depending on how you assess it, as is his compete level. If he can sort out his skating, compete level, and he can stick at center, I think he's a potential 1B/2A type of center. I also don't think those are outrageous asks. I don't see any of them as all that unrealistic with a few more years of development.
He'd be a good fit with the Oilers, wouldn't he? His right-shot on the PP would be huge with McDavid and Draisaitl, and he'd have the option to play either wing or center.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He's way too lazy and unwilling to engage to be a center imo. Ton of talent but seems destined to be a RW who needs a play driving center to be effective. In the 20s he's worth the risk but better options than him for in the teens imo.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The interesting thing for me is that in all I have seen of him, Perreault has never come across as poor away from the puck. I’ve actually liked his forechecking, in particular. I’m not saying he’s a two-way stalwart, and it could be a case of catching his good moments, but I’ve never had an issue with his away-from-puck engagement in the way I have even with many other CHLers projected to go in the first round of this draft.

This speaks to me that his issues in that area are merely mental consistency, which is the easiest thing for an NHL coach to help a player overcome, aside from maybe improving shooting. That’s probably why I am really high on the kid, and think that he could be a draft day steal if he goes where so many lists have him - at the very end of the first round, if not well outside of it.

I see very real top-flight first-line winger potential, with some sizeable but very clear and simple obstacles to overcome to reach that. Simply value wise, that’s an extremely good get anywhere after 20 IMO, and fair anywhere between 10-20.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006

His father is one of the best faceoff men of all-time. Can't hurt.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You often hear the term heavy skater used, and it’s usually just another word for slow. But I think it has a more focused meaning, and applies really well to Perreault. I think he skates with a lot of power and once he gets going, his speed is good. I think that’s why he did so well on those skating tests. The biggest problem I see with his skating is that he doesn’t have good quickness in his skating in small areas. He might test well and be good over longer distances, but sidestepping a player or pivoting in traffic are the types of areas he needs to work on. He needs to get quicker.

He also is pretty strong for a player his size, and I think having a father who played in the NHL helps that. He might only be 5’11, but he plays a little bigger, which is why I think he might be a better fit for center. If he can become a little more consistent in his work-ethic, I think it’s a possibility. He’s probably always going to be an offensively-minded forward, but his game fits center.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I worry about players whose compete level is questioned. That's the one thing that coaching can't give you, IMO. Give me a lesser talented rink rat, anyday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad