C Jacob Perreault - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2020, 27th, ANA, traded to MTL)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The more I've read and watched about him the more I'm certain he'll at least be a 2nd line goalscorer in the NHL. So much speed, loves to take sharp angle shots, and is deadly accurate.
If the wings could get another 1st round pick this year I'd hope it would be on one of Perreault, Peterka or Reichel.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
The more I've read and watched about him the more I'm certain he'll at least be a 2nd line goalscorer in the NHL. So much speed, loves to take sharp angle shots, and is deadly accurate.
If the wings could get another 1st round pick this year I'd hope it would be on one of Perreault, Peterka or Reichel.
I agree. If Steve can manage a second 1st in the 15-20ish range, I’d be stoked to see him grab Perreault or Reichel. I’m not as high on Peterka, but sure, him too.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
If Habs draft at 16 I wonder if they will take a chance on him. He has sky high potential.
i would be very happy if Jarvis is off the board, Perreault is one of the most underrated prospect in the draft in my opinion, he's so dangerous when he has the puck. being on a bad team realy hurts his ranking. 70 pts doesn't make justice to his game and most of his points are primary assist.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
i would be very happy if Jarvis is off the board, Perreault is one of the most underrated prospect in the draft in my opinion, he's so dangerous when he has the puck. being on a bad team realy hurts his ranking. 70 pts doesn't make justice to his game and most of his points are primary assist.
Totally agree with this, Jarvis would be #1 choice but Perrault seems to have it all. For his work ethic concerns, being a 17 year old on a bad team can cause that, not saying it's something that should be ignored but hopefully Habs brass won't overlook his potential because of it.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
This guy seems like a no-brainer Dubas pick to me.
- very good to elite tools (shooting, stick handling, skating, passing) but hasn't quite put it together for elite production yet
- a little undersized and younger for his draft class
- good motor and strong at zone exits and entries
- very good advanced stats (averages alot of shots per game and had the best primary point% of any player in the draft at 90%)

Could easily see this guy exploding next year and significantly improving his stock (similar to Robertson)

I'm kind of expecting the Leafs to walk away with this guy on draft day and I'm kind of hoping for it as well to.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This guy seems like a no-brainer Dubas pick to me.
- very good to elite tools (shooting, stick handling, skating, passing) but hasn't quite put it together for elite production yet
- a little undersized and younger for his draft class
- good motor and strong at zone exits and entries
- very good advanced stats (averages alot of shots per game and had the best primary point% of any player in the draft at 90%)

Could easily see this guy exploding next year and significantly improving his stock (similar to Robertson)

I'm kind of expecting the Leafs to walk away with this guy on draft day and I'm kind of hoping for it as well to.

I had to double-check that I was in the Perreault thread.

I think Perreault had the most goals against of any CHL draft eligible. If I remember correctly, that is covered in the Draft Dynasty profile of Perreault.

His motor is actually at the heart of the issue, he has a blazing fast gear but doesn't use it very much, certainly not often defensively.

He's not undersized compared to so many of the other forwards available (bigger than Jarvis, Bourque, etc...) if anything the hope is that he has more baby fat to round off and that will help him play with more energy.

You're right about all of the offensive tools. Primary points % says a lot about him and about how weak his teammates were.

Perreault's offensive tools without questions about his motor and defensive effort would have him pushing top ten in this draft. The only reason he would be available at #15 or #20 is because of the question marks.

Reactions: bert and 57special

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015

I think Perreault had the most goals against of any CHL draft eligible. If I remember correctly, that is covered in the Draft Dynasty profile of Perreault.

His motor is actually at the heart of the issue, he has a blazing fast gear but doesn't use it very much, certainly not often defensively.

He's not undersized compared to so many of the other forwards available (bigger than Jarvis, Bourque, etc...) if anything the hope is that he has more baby fat to round off and that will help him play with more energy.

You're right about all of the offensive tools. Primary points % says a lot about him and about how weak his teammates were.

Perreault's offensive tools without questions about his motor and defensive effort would have him pushing top ten in this draft. The only reason he would be available at #15 or #20 is because of the question marks.
Not to worried about the raw GA numbers considering wingers in general have a far lower impact on defense than any of the other positions and you can pretty easily shelter them as well. Not to mention that Sarina's goaltending was pretty awful this year.

I guess not super undersized like Jarvis but still on the smaller side for alot prospects in that range. Certain Leaf fans seem ready to call for Dubas's head if he drafts another sub 6ft or less player especially if its a winger (IMO you should always take BPA unless its super close between 2 particular prospects)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not to worried about the raw GA numbers considering wingers in general have a far lower impact on defense than any of the other positions and you can pretty easily shelter them as well. Not to mention that Sarina's goaltending was pretty awful this year.

I guess not super undersized like Jarvis but still on the smaller side for alot prospects in that range. Certain Leaf fans seem ready to call for Dubas's head if he drafts another sub 6ft or less player especially if its a winger (IMO you should always take BPA unless its super close between 2 particular prospects)

Obviously the GA was more of a team issue but FYI I think Perreault was at center for a lot of those GA.

In any case you're not drafting him for defensive play, that stuff you can teach. But the motor is what people are watching. I bet Perreault is going to be heavily scrutinized in interviews to try and figure out how much competitive fire this guy has. It's not has fault that his team was so bad but it still leaves it unknown how much more he is willing to give.

I think the raw skill alone makes him a good pick at #15 for any team.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Obviously the GA was more of a team issue but FYI I think Perreault was at center for a lot of those GA.

In any case you're not drafting him for defensive play, that stuff you can teach. But the motor is what people are watching. I bet Perreault is going to be heavily scrutinized in interviews to try and figure out how much competitive fire this guy has. It's not has fault that his team was so bad but it still leaves it unknown how much more he is willing to give.

I think the raw skill alone makes him a good pick at #15 for any team.
yeah the upside is pretty immense. I'm kind of leaning towards him for the Leafs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's almost 200 lbs., which is maxed out for most 5'11" (which, let's face it, means 5'10 1/4"). So, he either has no more beefing up to do, unlike a lot of young players who can put on 20-30 lbs. pretty easily, or he has been carrying around some extra weight.

Has he been outmuscling players at the CHL level, and will he no longer have that advantage once he goes pro?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's almost 200 lbs., which is maxed out for most 5'11" (which, let's face it, means 5'10 1/4"). So, he either has no more beefing up to do, unlike a lot of young players who can put on 20-30 lbs. pretty easily, or he has been carrying around some extra weight.

Has he been outmuscling players at the CHL level, and will he no longer have that advantage once he goes pro?

Perreault doesn't rely on outmuscling guys, he's a finesse player who happens to have a stocky build and can occasionally get physical. The question is how much is fat and how much is muscle - it would be better for his draft stock if he was a fat kid and left some room for improvement.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He seems to be a guy who can keep his spots on the ice, though, and is pretty solid. He might find that advantage goes away playing against men. Agreed that it would almost be better if he was a doughboy, though I am always leery of players who are lazy.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
not to worried about his weight right now.
Dermott had a very similar frame (5'11 197 lbs) during his draft year and he was still able to pack on roughly 10 lbs of muscle and improve his game in most physical attributes as well (speed, balance, strength).

Certain players just have a stockier build. It doesn't mean that they are capped out in growing physically though.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

I agree. If Steve can manage a second 1st in the 15-20ish range, I’d be stoked to see him grab Perreault or Reichel. I’m not as high on Peterka, but sure, him too.

I'm not sure who else on Detroit that Detroit might be willing to trade that can return a 1st, but this likely means Mantha.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure who else on Detroit that Detroit might be willing to trade that can return a 1st, but this likely means Mantha.

Hronek could, Bertuzzi could. We're talking about #15-20 picks, you don't need a Mantha for that.

In any case the Wings also have pick #32 and there's a good chance that a mid-first player or two from their list falls to there. I could see Peterka maybe falling that low, and maybe even Perreault if he interviews poorly (someone will be this year's Kaliyev). Reichel is ranked lower than that on a lot of lists but I'm more confident he'll be taken much higher.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Yeah his motor is by far his biggest issue, that wasnt an accurate scouting report at all.

If Perreault was on the 67's he'd be in the discussion for top 8

Aweful take.

Agreed. Give me Perrault over Quinn any day
Absolutely not. Quinn's two way defensive game and compete are some of the best in the draft. They couldnt be any more different. Under Tourigny I think it would help Perreault develop but certainly wouldn't have been relied upon the same way. Quinn along with Rossi carried the 67's, he wasnt a passenger. He was their best player in the second half. To suggest he was a product of that team and not vise versa shows how little anyone that has suggested it watched that team. Which means your opinion of Rossi is also likely massively flawed.

I like Perreault alot but these two players are very very different. Quinn was on the 67's first pk and was used in a shut down matchup role. Quinn's a later bloomer from a physical stand point despite being older. Far more mature game with just as high end skill if not better.

Perreaults raw attributes are some of the best in the draft, however he has along way to go to get to the next level. I think its pretty risky to take him in the top 20 unless you have alot of picks and can afford the risk. There are far safer players available to take in the teens that still have good upside. If im the sens or devils he is someone id target because of all the picks they have. He is one of the biggest boom bust picks in this draft.

Last edited:

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
A lot of you seem high on him. Wondering who has him ahead of Jarvis? (I don’t but curious)

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
One of the posters on a Hawks message board (not HF) who more times than not seems to have reliable inside info says he heard the Hawks are high on Perreault with the #17 pick. I read a while back that skating was sub par, but after reading through this thread I come away with a better understanding of his supposed skating deficiency is more about the effort/motor than the stride. The fact that his father works for the Hawks is a little intriguing too. Hopefully he has more "want to" than his dad did when he played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad