C Jacob Perreault - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2020, 27th, ANA, traded to MTL)

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
You often hear the term heavy skater used, and it’s usually just another word for slow. But I think it has a more focused meaning, and applies really well to Perreault. I think he skates with a lot of power and once he gets going, his speed is good. I think that’s why he did so well on those skating tests. The biggest problem I see with his skating is that he doesn’t have good quickness in his skating in small areas. He might test well and be good over longer distances, but sidestepping a player or pivoting in traffic are the types of areas he needs to work on. He needs to get quicker.

He also is pretty strong for a player his size, and I think having a father who played in the NHL helps that. He might only be 5’11, but he plays a little bigger, which is why I think he might be a better fit for center. If he can become a little more consistent in his work-ethic, I think it’s a possibility. He’s probably always going to be an offensively-minded forward, but his game fits center.

Perreault is the fastest skater in the CHL based on the testing, which includes his start time. Both with the puck and without. This includes "off the mark" as he was #1 in Reaction, and he was also #2 in the weave drill. He is not a heavy skater at all, and there is clearly no aspect of his skating that is slow when he is inclined to move. Acceleration and top gear are elite, no matter how you try and interpret the skills results.

To your point though, it surprised so many people to see him beat people like Foudy, Drsydale and Mercer, mostly because those who watch him don't see the speed enough. In game times, his skating doesn't stand out nearly enough to explain the results.

And that goes to the legit question on Perreault in terms of motor and effort, and perhaps how to use his speed. The guy can obviously fly anyway you cut it based on the testing. His shot might be the best in the draft. He has the upside to challenge top 10 players as an elite winger. And the thing is, his production is also elite with 40+ goal pace on a bad team.

The best comparison I've heard is Mike Hoffman. Great shot and skating, and scores a lot of goals, but so many other challenges with the guy that he'll end up moving around a lot in his career because he's never the sum of his parts. You always want more, but he still produces even when you are somewhat underwhelmed.

Reactions: My3Sons

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I am glad there is a discussion about what skating/fast skating/quick skating means. This is the second year where one of the top skaters in terms of speed at the CHL showcase was widely considered an "average" skater.

Last year McMichael tested either third for speed and first for speed carrying the puck. Yet even this preseason Pronman described him as an average skater. Steve K in the draft profiles thread considers Perreault's "straight-line speed average."

There is obviously something that makes skating in games significantly different from skating as the only player on the ice. This is a perfect example (McMichael produce like an elite skating center this season) where the eye-test and analytics—not even that advanced—form a better picture than either alone.
HJRGWPU4SINA2B6WK5PJ2UBF4M.jpg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Perreault is the fastest skater in the CHL based on the testing, which includes his start time. Both with the puck and without. This includes "off the mark" as he was #1 in Reaction, and he was also #2 in the weave drill. He is not a heavy skater at all, and there is clearly no aspect of his skating that is slow when he is inclined to move. Acceleration and top gear are elite, no matter how you try and interpret the skills results.

To your point though, it surprised so many people to see him beat people like Foudy, Drsydale and Mercer, mostly because those who watch him don't see the speed enough. In game times, his skating doesn't stand out nearly enough to explain the results.

And that goes to the legit question on Perreault in terms of motor and effort, and perhaps how to use his speed. The guy can obviously fly anyway you cut it based on the testing. His shot might be the best in the draft. He has the upside to challenge top 10 players as an elite winger. And the thing is, his production is also elite with 40+ goal pace on a bad team.

The best comparison I've heard is Mike Hoffman. Great shot and skating, and scores a lot of goals, but so many other challenges with the guy that he'll end up moving around a lot in his career because he's never the sum of his parts. You always want more, but he still produces even when you are somewhat underwhelmed.

If that’s what the skating test results said, then they are completely bogus, in my estimation because that’s what I’ve seen from his game. I was trying to incorporate the skating test results, but I don’t see a good East to West skater in his game.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

I've spoken to a few scouts who feel that his conditioning is not great. This would certainly explain why his speed is not always on display in games. Obviously something that can be improved though.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Apple didnt fall far from the tree, he basically is a copy paste of what his father used to be.. Jacob is a better skater but his compete is very low, defensive duites and game away from the puck, really bad... When I see this kid play, I see his father, awsome shooter, but so frustrating to watch as his game is overall pretty flawed...

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Apple didnt fall far from the tree, he basically is a copy paste of what his father used to be.. Jacob is a better skater but his compete is very low, defensive duites and game away from the puck, really bad... When I see this kid play, I see his father, awsome shooter, but so frustrating to watch as his game is overall pretty flawed...
I completely disagree.

McGilliScout

Apr 12, 2020

I'm not sure if I can say that's an adequate description of how his father played.

Reactions: 57special

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I'm not sure if I can say that's an adequate description of how his father played.

Yannick Perreault was a floater, his game away from the puck, positioning, forechecking work ethic ect were all deficient, he was so erased from the play that it was the way he was scoring most of his goals, being at the right spot all of sudden coming from nowhere, was constantly cheating on the wrong side of the puck... Guys like Perreault and Savage couldnt even play at the NHL level the way the game is played these days... Prior lock-0ut, the league was filled with very bad players...

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If his conditioning is sub par, that might explain his apparent lack of speed, or "compete". Hard to skate when you are sucking wind. That IS something that can be improved, whereas disinterest cannot.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
If his conditioning is sub par, that might explain his apparent lack of speed, or "compete". Hard to skate when you are sucking wind. That IS something that can be improved, whereas disinterest cannot.
When I saw him(pre-season) it wasn’t like he faded in shifts, he skated hard enough to get position. He’ll get a wake up call the 1st day of prospect camp. For his size, doesn’t have the outsized production to go with it. He’s already got meat on the frame, so there isn’t the upside in the aging curve you’ll normally expect.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
I've spoken to a few scouts who feel that his conditioning is not great. This would certainly explain why his speed is not always on display in games. Obviously something that can be improved though.

5'11" and 198lbs very good chance he's a little overweight/not in the best shape possible.

With proper training, he could lose easily 10lbs for next year and be even quicker. MacKinnon had his breakout year after losing 15-20lbs during one summer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
5'11" and 198lbs very good chance he's a little overweight/not in the best shape possible.

With proper training, he could lose easily 10lbs for next year and be even quicker. MacKinnon had his breakout year after losing 15-20lbs during one summer.

198 on its face is not a bad playing weight for a 5'11 NHL'er. Is he in great shape or does that weight include a lot of fat? We don't know.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
Yes but it takes time to build quality muscle. I really doubt he's 198 and very lean.
Crosby is about the same height and weight and he's been training hard for the past 15 years.

Anyways we will never know, no combine this year :(

Reactions: IronMarshal

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Kids a great shooter and looks to be one of the better ones judging from YouTube highlights. I know he has things to work on but this player seems like a good pick in the late first round. Looks to.be a good trigger man on the power play too.

Reactions: Dominance

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Yes but it takes time to build quality muscle. I really doubt he's 198 and very lean.
Crosby is about the same height and weight and he's been training hard for the past 15 years.

Anyways we will never know, no combine this year :(

we might have different opinion of lean. but of course he's not very lean. 5'11 @ 198 is HUGE if you're bellow 15%bf

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018

Jacob Perreault is a great shooter that knows how to score. Easy first round talent level but is inconsistent in his compete level. I think a team takes him late in the 1st round.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Does he love hockey, or does he do it because his father did?

He looks pretty sturdy out there. Hard to knock off the puck.

Wonder if he can play top 6C in the NHL? If so, he'll be a steal in the mid 20's, but there are a lot of guys like him in the late teens/20's. Talented, but questions about their ability to play the pivot. Mysak, Reichel, Lapierre, Bourque, Foerster, Mercer, Holloway....maybe even Zary and Jarvis.

My team is picking 23-25, and is desperate for C's, and to a lesser extent, RHS forwards. Would have to think about taking him there. I guess his downside would be as a less defensively responsible Kunin.

Reactions: Dominance

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He fixed a lot of the concerns towards the end of the year. I heard that lots of scouts checked him off in November and then came back in February and were forced to put him back on their radar. Has steal potential, but I think there’s still a lot of question marks. If you get him outside of the top 20, that’s great value

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's one of those kids where you hope his pace issue was that he was just fat or some other fixable problem, anything other than "IDGAF". Imagine if a team has rare intel that Perreault was carrying around ten lbs of extra fat all season, that he has since fixed. They'd move Perreault much higher on their list, perhaps closer to #10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad