C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Is Jack from Florida? If so it's nice to see elite players coming from non traditional places in America

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Jack's now up to 109 points this season. Needs 8 more to tie Austin Matthews's single season record (117) and 9 to break it. If the US makes it to the medal round, he'll have 5 games to do it. Normally the US in the medal round is a given, but their defense and goaltending is in shambles right now.

Either way, Hughes has already put up the most impressive NTDP season ever.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jack was by far the best player on the ice today. One of the best games I've seen him play. He had one shift where I think he might've walked every Swiss skater on the ice during that shift.

His defensive game needs substantial work though, the back-check just isn't there. I think its also hard for a player who plays his style of game to have the stamina to play such a demanding defensive role. He very well might be comparable to Kane from an offensive standpoint, but I don't see much chance he sticks at center. There are so many factors that point to him being a winger.

Sid82

Dec 17, 2009
how the hell this guy went only 8th in the ohl draft? cause it was known he would go to the ntdp programm...where is he going to play in sep?

Reactions: Jesse86436

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
highlights of talent

Hughes
Wahlstrom
Farabee
caufeild

and rest

For a team that has developped together and played together not impressive at all
i have to think many are dropping in draft rankings right now as they where padded this season

Reactions: Jesse86436

JLFGoNicsGo11

Apr 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
highlights of talent

Hughes
Wahlstrom
Farabee
caufeild

and rest

For a team that has developped together and played together not impressive at all
i have to think many are dropping in draft rankings right now as they where padded this season
Yeah pretty disappointed with this team , defense is atrocious

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
You have to think he'll go to the NHL.
No, I don't. The quote doesn't say anything about the NHL. It says Hughes is undecided about where he will play after the NTDP finishes 2019 - which is NEXT year. So it looks like he is returning to the NTDP program for the next season... better read carefully...

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
No, I don't. The quote doesn't say anything about the NHL. It says Hughes is undecided about where he will play after the NTDP finishes 2019 - which is NEXT year. So it looks like he is returning to the NTDP program for the next season... better read carefully...

They were questioning what his plans are after the 2018-2019 season. It will be the last year of his NTDP eligibility as he'll be turning 18. It's also his draft year where he's expected to go 1st overall.

The article DOES mention the NHL saying that they fear he will still be too skinny. But nearly all 1st overall picks go directly to the NHL and there are plenty of small players who are thriving due to their talent and speed.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
They were questioning what his plans are after the 2018-2019 season. It will be the last year of his NTDP eligibility as he'll be turning 18. It's also his draft year where he's expected to go 1st overall.

The article DOES mention the NHL saying that they fear he will still be too skinny. But nearly all 1st overall picks go directly to the NHL and there are plenty of small players who are thriving due to their talent and speed.
The discussion in this thread was about what he will do next season not after getting drafted...

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Another year of the NTDP will due wonders for him. He needs another year of off ice and weight training to get stronger. The skill is absolutely there - just needs to add some strength and size for the next level.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

I read that article, but I'm not sure how much I trust what the author is writing. He also speculates that Hughes could play in Europe after finishing with the NTDP in 2019 -- just like Matthews. The situations are completely different -- there is no way an NHL team is going to want Hughes to play in Europe after they have made him the #1 overall pick. Matthews went to Europe before being drafted #1 overall. Seems like lazy reporting to me, so it's difficult to take anything in the article seriously.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
How in heck does this team finish 2nd overall in USHL ?
The USHL standings for Team USA is the combined record of both the U17 and U18 teams versus USHL opponents only. The U17 team started like gangbusters in the first half of the season with Hughes, Turcotte, Caufield, York and Knight on that team. The U18's were playing the NCAA-heavy part of their schedule then, and the U17's racked up a lot more USHL points than usual for the younger squad. Later, all those players moved to the U18 team when it was playing the USHL-heavy part of its schedule. The infusion of talent helped overcome the bad coaching of U18 head coach Seth Appert -- the team was scoring a lot of goals now, but still giving up a lot, too. The amount of breakways and odd-man rushes the U18's gave up this season is mind boggling.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Hughes should play college hockey or in Europe next season. I don't see how he benefits from another season of this.

He's going to break the points record, but he could use a season against men or at least non-junior players. He struggles defensively, needs to put on weight and needs to make simpler plays at times. All very correctable in the right environment. I think its less likely that he does this playing another season of junior hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad