C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I haven't seen anything to suggest Hughes is strictly a perimeter player. He looks to me to be more of an all over the damn place player. He may find less room to opperate that way in the NHL, but I don't think that means he fears playing on the inside or is some passive, float around the outside type player. He's just been so far ahead of his peers for so long that he's been able to dance around the entire rink.

That's exactly how Nail Yakupov looked.... (well what was said by few)

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
You are choosing to be intellectually dishonest, so I’ll re-explain it. You didn’t forget these discussions throughout the season, you want to conveniently not acknowledge them because you think it helps your argument, as if doing so would make this discussion go away and no one would ever re-explain to those that didn’t follow. The only thing this accomplished is making someone explain this again. When people act like this to be the message board champion, my level of respect for them goes down.

The areas of concern with Hughes ability to play center are nearly every part of the game. He plays nothing like a center. People mention his height, but height is not something that keeps players from playing center. Size could, which is height and build. Hughes is built like a kid. He’ll be tossed around physically in the NHL in board battles, which is required more of centers than wingers. That can improve, but I can’t remember a player his size in recent memory that played center in the NHL. He’s not even good in board battles against junior players right now.

Hughes plays almost entirely a perimeter game that is predicated on a pond hockey style. It is antithetical to his style to ask him to play with more responsibility in his decision making, positioning and approach to creating plays. He rarely ventured to the middle of the ice against juniors. Some NHL centers play on the perimeter, but one thing all of them do is take up some positions centrally. They aren’t all perimeter. Hughes is all perimeter right now.

Hughes is a bad defensive player against juniors. He was the captain of the NTDP both years, but he wasn’t a penalty killer. I think you can count on one hand the captains in the NHL that don’t penalty kill. How can you lead your team when you forget to play in one zone? He’s a very gifted hockey player and we are always told how hard he works, but at least in games, the defensive zone is not part of how hard he works. He rarely shows the same level of effort defensively, and even the times he does show defensive effort, he doesn’t exhibit much caution in a zone where you can’t be attempting to dangle players in. Hughes also had a habit at the NTDP of double shifting himself and being left out on the ice very tired, although I saw less of this his second season and I’m sure this would be sorted out in an NHL locker room.

He’s horrible on face offs. This is not only about being 18 years old, considering the face-off stats come only from international tournaments, and he was always way behind his teammates in the faceoff categories. Those NTDP centers were great on face offs, occupying the top spots at the WJC18 this year, except for Hughes. He lags well behind his teammates in that area. I can’t imagine he’ll be better against NHL’ers in this category right now than he would be against kids his own age.

I don’t understand the insistence for Hughes to play center. It doesn’t mean he’s bad if he plays wing, but professional hockey is a business. Why would you use him at a position he doesn’t have the skill set to play just because he’s a good player that was picked 1OA? You are going to get less out of him, if you force him into playing the position to satisfy what he wants and what the prevailing thoughts are about his position. There are many good players who were moved off center because stylistically their game was better suited to playing the wing.
I'll just assume you have a condition where you have way more fingers per hand than the average individual.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
You are choosing to be intellectually dishonest, so I’ll re-explain it. You didn’t forget these discussions throughout the season, you want to conveniently not acknowledge them because you think it helps your argument, as if doing so would make this discussion go away and no one would ever re-explain to those that didn’t follow. The only thing this accomplished is making someone explain this again. When people act like this to be the message board champion, my level of respect for them goes down.

The areas of concern with Hughes ability to play center are nearly every part of the game. He plays nothing like a center. People mention his height, but height is not something that keeps players from playing center. Size could, which is height and build. Hughes is built like a kid. He’ll be tossed around physically in the NHL in board battles, which is required more of centers than wingers. That can improve, but I can’t remember a player his size in recent memory that played center in the NHL. He’s not even good in board battles against junior players right now.

Hughes plays almost entirely a perimeter game that is predicated on a pond hockey style. It is antithetical to his style to ask him to play with more responsibility in his decision making, positioning and approach to creating plays. He rarely ventured to the middle of the ice against juniors. Some NHL centers play on the perimeter, but one thing all of them do is take up some positions centrally. They aren’t all perimeter. Hughes is all perimeter right now.

Hughes is a bad defensive player against juniors. He was the captain of the NTDP both years, but he wasn’t a penalty killer. I think you can count on one hand the captains in the NHL that don’t penalty kill. How can you lead your team when you forget to play in one zone? He’s a very gifted hockey player and we are always told how hard he works, but at least in games, the defensive zone is not part of how hard he works. He rarely shows the same level of effort defensively, and even the times he does show defensive effort, he doesn’t exhibit much caution in a zone where you can’t be attempting to dangle players in. Hughes also had a habit at the NTDP of double shifting himself and being left out on the ice very tired, although I saw less of this his second season and I’m sure this would be sorted out in an NHL locker room.

He’s horrible on face offs. This is not only about being 18 years old, considering the face-off stats come only from international tournaments, and he was always way behind his teammates in the faceoff categories. Those NTDP centers were great on face offs, occupying the top spots at the WJC18 this year, except for Hughes. He lags well behind his teammates in that area. I can’t imagine he’ll be better against NHL’ers in this category right now than he would be against kids his own age.

I don’t understand the insistence for Hughes to play center. It doesn’t mean he’s bad if he plays wing, but professional hockey is a business. Why would you use him at a position he doesn’t have the skill set to play just because he’s a good player that was picked 1OA? You are going to get less out of him, if you force him into playing the position to satisfy what he wants and what the prevailing thoughts are about his position. There are many good players who were moved off center because stylistically their game was better suited to playing the wing.
dam the devils messed up by taking this kid...

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
@Pavel Buchnevich

I'd like you to find me one scouting report (besides your own which is clearly flawed) stating Hughes is a perimeter player...

Take someone like Barzal for example who plays a somewhat similar game. in his scouting reports, "perimeter player" was something thrown around quite a bit. Now he still turned out more than ok, infact hes great. I have never heard such criticisms for Hughes, and in the 20-25 games I watched him play this year I noticed him always trying to get through the middle of the ice and create lanes to the net for himself. You are just blatantly wrong. Im guessing you really haven't watched him at all?

Yeah sure, he is great at creating for his teammates on the perimeter, but if you're going to sit here and tell me his entire game depends on that well... i don't really have much to say. Your agenda is clear. Watching him torch the rangers for the next 8 years will be a delight.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought this claim was a bit bold. So, I actually looked into it. Very few of the forwards who are captains are actually full-time PKers for their teams. In many cases they are swingmen (they fill in for a forward on one of the two units if one of those forwards is serving the penalty). Ovechkin and Lee just aren't ever used. All these guys played less than 50 minutes Landeskog, Benn, Crosby, Eichel, Stamkos and McDavid. The only guys who were really used as primary PKers are Barkov, Kopitar, Toews, Giroux and Mikko Koivu. Marner who was the Leafs swing guy, and only put full-time on the PK after the deadline due to the trade of Par Lindholm played more PK minutes than everyone but Barkov, Kopitar, Giroux, and Toews, he played more than Koivu due to Koivu's injury. So of the 16 forwards who are captains, only 5 are really full-time PKers. Wheeler would be next on the list playing 90 pk minutes this year. Pretty much all defenceman who are captains though are full-time PKers. There's also quite a few teams who don't have captains. For example, unless the Leafs make Rielly or Marner captain (both unlikely, it's probably going to Matthews or JT if they ever name one) it is likely that they add to the list of captains who aren't full-time PKers.

Interesting research, but it still doesn’t refute my point. Hughes wasn’t even a sometimes PK’er. Caufield was a sometimes PK’er. Hughes didn’t PK, and it speaks more to a lack of capability. Some coaches might decide not to waste their captains minutes in a special teams defensive situation, but that’s not the same as not having the option of using them there because they can’t PK.

When the discussions come up about who the best players are, and a player is brought up who doesn’t play in all situations, I think that has to be a strike against them. I’ve always thought that.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
lmao the Devils don't need Hughes to be on the PK now or likely ever it doesn't matter

Zacha, Zajac, Coleman, Hischier, Anderson, Seney, McLeod, etc.

that's like the one place we have strong depth looool

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
dam the devils messed up by taking this kid...

And they made a great pick with Hischier. Your fans spewed the same hate when I said they should’ve picked Pettersson.

I’m not your servant. I don’t need to find you anything. This was discussed all season about Hughes. You only took up interest in recent months. If you want further info, read some of these threads from before the draft lottery.

I’m not a partisan when it comes to the draft, unlike you. I call it as I see it. I always have. The fact that so many Devils fans without a clue are trying to attack an opinion that doesn’t paint their team’s prospect in the light they want to shape surrounding that player shows that you guys aren’t here to discuss the player. You are here to defend your team.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Interesting research, but it still doesn’t refute my point. Hughes wasn’t even a sometimes PK’er. Caufield was a sometimes PK’er. Hughes didn’t PK, and it speaks more to a lack of capability. Some coaches might decide not to waste their captains minutes in a special teams defensive situation, but that’s not the same as not having the option of using them there because they can’t PK.

When the discussions come up about who the best players are, and a player is brought up who doesn’t play in all situations, I think that has to be a strike against them. I’ve always thought that.
No one takes you seriously because when you are clearly proven wrong, you try to shift the goal posts. Or better yet, just blindly ignore it.

Arguing against Hughes due to lack of PK time has to be one of the stupidest claims I've ever seen on this site. And this is coming from a Devs' fan that actually does have some concerns about his game.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

While you may be right you may not be. Suggesting that he can’t PK because he didn’t play PK isn’t a logical conclusion. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. All you can say with certainty is he didn’t PK. Beyond that you are simply speculating on this issue.

Reactions: Blender

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No one takes you seriously because when you are clearly proven wrong, you try to shift the goal posts. Or better yet, just blindly ignore it.

Arguing against Hughes due to lack of PK time has to be one of the stupidest claims I've ever seen on this site. And this is coming from a Devs' fan that actually does have some concerns about his game.

Why would I care if partisans who are only here to defend their team take me seriously? This isn’t your thread. I don’t believe this is the Devils section.

Your criticisms aren’t more valid because he plays for your team. The discussion was about his ability to play center, and Devils fans and one Rangers fan who is mad about the draft lottery results set up a false dilemma.

Hughes operates very well in one zone, and he’s good when in possession of the puck in the neutral zone. The rest of his game is shaky. There aren’t many centers in the NHL like that, especially undersized ones. There’s the occasional Malkin, but like it or not, 6’3 200 guys who have generational talent aren’t moved off the position. It’s much more likely when you have the same capability, but are only 5’10 170. Or at least it should be more likely. Marner is an example of this, as is Kane.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
And they made a great pick with Hischier. Your fans spewed the same hate when I said they should’ve picked Pettersson.

I’m not your servant. I don’t need to find you anything. This was discussed all season about Hughes. You only took up interest in recent months. If you want further info, read some of these threads from before the draft lottery.

I’m not a partisan when it comes to the draft, unlike you. I call it as I see it. I always have. The fact that so many Devils fans without a clue are trying to attack an opinion that doesn’t paint their team’s prospect in the light they want to shape surrounding that player shows that you guys aren’t here to discuss the player. You are here to defend your team.

I think if you’d acknowledge the “opinion” part a bit more rather than adopting a tone that suggests, to some, you see your opinion as a fact you’d have a more productive discussion.

That said you do seem to have a strong interest in discrediting Hughes. Who shows up over and over in a prospect thread to dump on a player the way you have with Hughes? Did you expend this much effort to pick apart his brother’s game?

Again maybe you are right but maybe you aren’t and as an opinion you should lead with that if you want to actually debate a point rather than simply have an unpleasant exchange with ad hominem attacks.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011

I think i watched Jack more than you this year... and I guess your response is a long way of saying you cant find one credible source saying he plays primarily a perimeter game?

You need a new hobby, because this website is not it for you.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think if you’d acknowledge the “opinion” part a bit more rather than adopting a tone that suggests, to some, you see your opinion as a fact you’d have a more productive discussion.

That said you do seem to have a strong interest in discrediting Hughes. Who shows up over and over in a prospect thread to dump on a player the way you have with Hughes? Did you expend this much effort to pick apart his brother’s game?

Again maybe you are right but maybe you aren’t and as an opinion you should lead with that if you want to actually debate a point rather than simply have an unpleasant exchange with ad hominem attacks.

I’m not big on Quinn’s game either. I said as much many times, and Canucks fans bashed me. I’m hoping Luke is better than them. The first two brothers are good hockey players, Jack substantially better than Quinn, but I think the perception surrounding their games and how it translates to the NHL is way off. If that goes against the consensus, so be it. I’m not a shill for USA Hockey, I’m a fan of USA Hockey.

Why is this about me? What about addressing the things I said? It’s obvious why most of your fan base doesn’t want to do that and comes here to attack the person who criticizes Hughes instead of debating the criticism.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You need a new hobby, because this website is not it for you.

This is the point when someone takes this website too seriously. There is no prize for being the most hate-filled on the internet.

Attacking strangers behind your computer screen instead of addressing their opinion is not the point of this website. I don’t even know why you are allowed to do this. You clearly are not here to discuss Hughes game. You didn’t address any of the criticisms of his game.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I’m not big on Quinn’s game either. I said as much many times, and Canucks fans bashed me. I’m hoping Luke is better than them. The first two brothers are good hockey players, Jack substantially better than Quinn, but I think the perception surrounding their games and how it translates to the NHL is way off. If that goes against the consensus, so be it. I’m not a shill for USA Hockey, I’m a fan of USA Hockey.

Why is this about me? What about addressing the things I said? It’s obvious why most of your fan base doesn’t want to do that and comes here to attack the person who criticizes Hughes instead of debating the criticism.

The people who have criticized your opinion are not just "Devils fanboys." Ranger fans have openly criticized your opinions about Hughes and many other fan bases, along with a majority of your posts on HF, so don't try to make this a Devils fanbase against you because that is 100% false.

I come on here looking for perhaps summer activity with Hughes or just news in general etc like the Kakko thread and all I see are post after post by you talking about him not playing PK or something else that is meaningless.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The people who have criticized your opinion are not just "Devils fanboys." Ranger fans have openly criticized your opinions about Hughes and many other fan bases, along with a majority of your posts on HF, so don't try to make this a Devils fanbase against you because that is 100% false.

I come on here looking for perhaps summer activity with Hughes or just news in general etc like the Kakko thread and all I see are post after post by you talking about him not playing PK or something else that is meaningless.

And they are equally delusional. They are shills for their team’s management that has accomplished nothing and dislike me because I don’t shill like they do. If you want to claim victory because a bunch of people I’ve put on ignore are attacking me as well, knock yourself out. I don’t even see these criticisms from them.

This isn’t only a news thread. This is a thread to debate his game. If someone is going to purposely misrepresent the criticisms about his game, I think it’s worth properly representing them. If you don’t like it, tell those who are trying to incorrectly portray criticisms to stop doing it. This isn’t a propaganda thread for your team’s prospect. We are allowed to discuss his game. That’s the way it works in all of the prospect threads in this section. I don’t know why your fan base has such an issue with this. This very infrequently isn’t an issue.

It’s clearly hit a nerve for some of you. That much is obvious. I don’t suspect this would be as much of an issue if I happened to be a Coyotes fan. The fact that I’m a fan of a team you dislike bothers you. That’s your issue. I’ve been giving my opinion on this player for two seasons. You only became concerned recently. You have no right to attack me because your team drafted this prospect and it bothers you that I’m a Rangers fan.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

Pettersson who doesn't play the PK at all while Hischier does.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
If someone is going to purposely misrepresent the criticisms about his game, I think it’s worth properly representing them
Dude(tte), the issue here is that you freak out when people disagree with you, and claim people are attacking you and should apologize. A word of advice is to stop being so sensitive when people don't see your point of view. This thread has been a giant ****show for awhile

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dude(tte), the issue here is that you freak out when people disagree with you, and claim people are attacking you and should apologize. A word of advice is to stop being so sensitive when people don't see your point of view. This thread has been a giant ****show for awhile

Clearly you are unable to delineate tone over the internet. There is no freaking out on my part. The ones who are bothered are the ones that feel the need to attack someone else instead of their opinion. What else do you want me to call these posts that are about me instead of addressing my opinion? This thread has had disagreement all season, but the personal attacks started up with the Devils fans.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Clearly you are unable to delineate tone over the internet. There is no freaking out on my part. The ones who are bothered are the ones that feel the need to attack someone else instead of their opinion. What else do you want me to call these posts that are about me instead of addressing my opinion? This thread has had disagreement all season, but the personal attacks started up with the Devils fans.
You continuously brag about the fact that you had Petterson over Hischier two years ago and use it as a major reason why your opinions are valid. While Petterson looks like he'll be the more impactful player, it isn't even a closed debate yet. Even if you are right, that is one opinion. Every draft prognosticator has hits and misses so I'm not sure why everyone should just accept your opinion. Your attitude, at times, can be extremely off putting.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

honestly, it’s hard to argue against this. i wonder if the rangers would take hughes and a 2020 (top 3 protected) first round pick for kakko? or, hughes for k’andre miller?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You continuously brag about the fact that you had Petterson over Hischier two years ago and use it as a major reason why your opinions are valid. While Petterson looks like he'll be the more impactful player, it isn't even a closed debate yet. Even if you are right, that is one opinion. Every draft prognosticator has hits and misses so I'm not sure why everyone should just accept your opinion. Your attitude, at times, can be extremely off putting.

I don't brag about that. I mention that as a reason why your fan base should stop thinking everything is about hating your prospects. I said that before any draft lottery in 2017. Your fans got offended about it once you saw the draft lottery results. I had my opinion about Hughes before the 2019 draft lottery. Your fans got offended once you saw the draft lottery results.

When you are coming at this from the point of view of only defending your team, you are prone to these overly emotional responses that don't consider that people who follow prospects might end up not viewing it in a way that is favorable towards your team. I couldn't care less which team a prospect plays more. Most evaluations happen before any NHL team drafts a player. It is highly illogical to think I'm trolling against your team or anything of that sort. Am I trolling when I defend Islander prospects from criticism? I like their prospects, so I say as much. I'm not big on Hughes, wasn't big on Hischier. I like Hischier more than I did at the draft, but thats a different matter. This might sound crazy, but the world doesn't revolve around hating the Devils. I am equal opportunity with my criticism and praise. Evaluations of prospects are independent from the teams they play for.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I generally like to avoid this kind of thing, but if I would say there has been one major issue here, it's the general lack of expressing opinion as opinion. It's not just you. It's many. Opinions are opinions, but they are being presented, defended and bordering on childishly argued about like they are undeniable facts. This isn't physics. I might be wrong. You might be wrong. We all might be wrong. We might be right, too. We don't know, and it's fine, if not healthy, to have differing opinions. It's quite unhealthy to argue opinion like it's fact, and tell other people they are wrong when no one knows if they are or not.

Again, it's not just one poster. It's pretty widespread and generally a direction the board has moved over the years. I've fallen into the trap several times myself.

Well, that's all my opinion, anyway.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
That's exactly how Nail Yakupov looked.... (well what was said by few)

There are no reasonable evaluators of talent that would make this link.

Also, Tom Brady doesn't kick field goals. He coach must not trust him.

Hughes operates very well in one zone, and he’s good when in possession of the puck in the neutral zone. The rest of his game is shaky. There aren’t many centers in the NHL like that, especially undersized ones. There’s the occasional Malkin, but like it or not, 6’3 200 guys who have generational talent aren’t moved off the position. It’s much more likely when you have the same capability, but are only 5’10 170. Or at least it should be more likely. Marner is an example of this, as is Kane.

I highly recommend watching his games. If it makes it easier, play them on slo-mo so that you can see him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad