C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Shift-by-shift of his performance against Team Great Britain (May 15, 2019):

Part 1:

Part 2:

A look at some shifts from the World Juniors and USNTDP season showing where improvement is needed:

Last edited:
Reactions: NJDevs

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
Genuinely appreciate you posting these. Being a cord-cutter, it's painfully tough finding NHLN streams to watch these games.

Reactions: deflowd

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I find it comical Hughes’ best game is left out of the play by plays

Edit: f*** it ill still say thanks for the others. But its a bad look starting a thread missing his best game when the last two threads have been a shit on Hughes fest

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
I find it comical Hughes’ best game is left out of the play by plays

Edit: **** it ill still say thanks for the others. But its a bad look starting a thread missing his best game when the last two threads have been a **** on Hughes fest
I personally thought his best game of the tournament was against Great Britain. He had the most shots and the best chances in that game. He was separated from Patrick Kane during the Slovakia game because the two were ineffective together.

Video of his Slovakia performance will be up shortly, but I did noticed that @KillEmAll83 had already done that game. That game is only available to Prospects Shifts subscribers, however.

It takes a bit of work to re-watch the games and record time stamps.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I personally thought his best game of the tournament was against Great Britain. He was separated from Patrick Kane during the Slovakia game because the two were ineffective together.

Video of his Slovakia performance will be up shortly, but I did noticed that @KillEmAll83 had already done that game. That game is only available to Prospects Shifts subscribers, however.

It takes a bit of work to re-watch the games and record time stamps.
Fair enough. I thought he showed his dynamism in the Slovakia game by skating with the puck more. The GB game he had more actual looks for goals and he got the chance to utilize his quick passes more, but overall I just want to see confidence and thats what I saw from Jack game 1.

I think he may have a bit of a coming out party this weekend as he's starting to settle in IMO

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Shift-by-shift of his performance against Team Germany (May 19, 2019):

Flashback to January:

Last edited:

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Flashback to January:

I'll be honest-
1) Why does NJ really care if he's NHL ready or not? I mean as long as Hall is convinced to stay long term I don't mind Jack spending a year getting stronger and not burning it off his ELC. It's not like we're going to be contending for a cup next year unless we make a huge FA splash.
2) A lack of NHL readiness doesn't mean he won't go 1OA as he's still a far better talent than Kakko.
3) Almost all 1OA picks play in their D+1 so I tend to think Kakko will play. He has a summer to train and bulk up and going into the season after camp and preseason is a lot different than going into a tournament on big ice, with new teammates and no practice/chemistry.

Reactions: TheWhiskeyThief

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
I'll be honest-
1) Why does NJ really care if he's NHL ready or not? I mean as long as Hall is convinced to stay long term I don't mind Jack spending a year getting stronger and not burning it off his ELC. It's not like we're going to be contending for a cup next year unless we make a huge FA splash.
2) A lack of NHL readiness doesn't mean he won't go 1OA as he's still a far better talent than Kakko.
3) Almost all 1OA picks play in their D+1 so I tend to think Kakko will play. He has a summer to train and bulk up and going into the season after camp and preseason is a lot different than going into a tournament on big ice, with new teammates and no practice/chemistry.
They shouldn't care if he's ready next year at least.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'll be honest-

How is he far better talent than Kakko? Kakko breaking records for fun.

New Jersey is in a tough spot. Kakko is playing better and showing the world he should go first. All credit to Kakko.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
How is he far better talent than Kakko? Kakko breaking records for fun.

New Jersey is in a tough spot. Kakko is playing better and showing the world he should go first. All credit to Kakko.

You realize that these kids have been scouted for years? Small sample sizes like Hughes crazy U18 and Kakko’s crazy WC aren’t going to greatly affect scout’s opinions.

If the Devils do pick Kakko, it wouldn’t be because of the WC, it would be because they probably made that decision as soon as they got the #1.

I’m pretty sure they’ll go Hughes, but I’d be happy with both and pissed the other guy is going to the Rangers.

Habs888

Mar 15, 2018
Devils GM said that they are going to pick huges like 3week ago..i dont think the wc will change that

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Honestly not even once again trying to downplay Hughes, he will be a phenomenal player, but a year in the NCAA or maybe Europe, could do wonders for him. I’d actually be scared for his health if he plays in the league next season, could get some concussions. Better for long term and Devils have no reason to rush him.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
You realize that these kids have been scouted for years? Small sample sizes like Hughes crazy U18 and Kakko’s crazy WC aren’t going to greatly affect scout’s opinions.

If the Devils do pick Kakko, it wouldn’t be because of the WC, it would be because they probably made that decision as soon as they got the #1.

I’m pretty sure they’ll go Hughes, but I’d be happy with both and pissed the other guy is going to the Rangers.

SMalL SamPLe sIZes

Alienato

Feb 23, 2019
Oulu
This is totally true. Even if Kakko is bit better induvidual, than Hughes, if Devils convince Hall to stay and they have dynamic duo its way better than bit better induvidual. And also what I understanded there is other ties which makes propably Hughes great choose for NJD.

I think that at this point Kakko is better talent. But in my point of view I havent ever seen junior dominant in Fel so much on ice after Rantanen. But even Rantanen is outshined by Kakkos stickhandling and goal scoring ablitity while hockey iq is atleast at same lvl.
Anyway atm we are more speaking of Hughes ceiling and potential. And when that happens thing can be totally different in question who is better. But if he is far better talent than Kakko and if I compare Kakko to Aho, Barkov, Laine, Rantanen, Teräväinen at draft season I think Kakko is beyond all them as full packet. So if Hughes ceiling is even above that we are speaking of franchise if not of generational talent. And atm thats hard to believe. But I rather believe that Hughes will have same kind rapid "growup" like Laine/Kakko has during end of draft season (that they improved almost all aspects of game during 6 months way more than anyone expected.) Kakko after WJC u20 was actually participating on around 50% off all TPS goals. On playoffs that number was around 70%.
But comparing first half of season before u20 kakko had 9+11 points in 27g. And rest regular season 13+5 in 18g. Its pretty huge change in performing in 6 months and bet thats kind rapid growing we be also comming Hughes case.

This is totally true. But I think that with those few month + postseason he will find he's spot. He also has small taste of small ice from WJC u20 this year. So we cant compare that to Hughes atm. I think that we would see totally different Hughes in this touranment even with few week practice with team and few practice matches on big ice. Still think that Hughes will shine during this tournament.

Shame IIHF dont have stats of PP PK ice times. Its also one factor which is totally different compare Kakkos stats to Hughes atm. Its totally different to play when you are on PP or play against opponent with empty net. But still Kakko have shown great skills during this tournament at 5vs5 with +8. And being on ice on 11 goals of Finlands 12 goals With participacing game with points 6+1 and 4 times on ice with 2 times 3th pass (critical for game). Thats is impressive performance, but then we can't forget than Hughes and Colefield dynamic duo during u18. Pure talents. Thats also one reason I'm pretty confident that Hughes is bit underperforming and that we really havent seen he's real potentional at current state. And even he woudln't be ready at start of season, he might be already at midseason, so thats not big lose (besides 1 y. of rookie contract) .

Anyway I think that this debate will continue years from now and maybe then we can really make conclusions how things goes. But according showdowns, current info and their succeed during past 2 years I can say that we gonna se for sure atleast 2 new eliteplayers in league. Who is better better player or making more cash or mediasexy are subjects for future.

So when all thing are combined I also thing that J. Hughes is solid #1 pick for NJD, but wouldn't be suprised if NJD choose otherwise.

Reactions: hidek91

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Honestly not even once again trying to downplay Hughes, he will be a phenomenal player, but a year in the NCAA or maybe Europe, could do wonders for him. I’d actually be scared for his health if he plays in the league next season, could get some concussions. Better for long term and Devils have no reason to rush him.
Did Nico Hischier’s extra 2 inches and less than 10 pounds prevent him from getting injured as a rookie? He played 82 games plus playoffs, most of them as the 1C. Jack is definitely going to take a beating at times next year, but he’s not more prone to concussions than anyone else.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I'll be honest-

My understanding is it would be a two-fer if NJ drafts Hughes because: 1) they get a GREAT prospect as an asset; and 2) it helps NJ sign Hall because supposedly, Hall & Hughes train together in the NHL off-season

I don't know if this will be the case or not, but whoever is 1OA or 2OA, they will play each other ALOT (Devils v. Rangers) so that will be exciting for hockey fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad